• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Mearls redesigns the Ogre Mage

Gentlegamer

Adventurer
Whizbang Dustyboots said:
Eh. I've got the little Greyhawk booklet, and it's a stretch to call it a campaign setting, IMO. It's more "EGG ran out of names, come up with something evocative for this sourcebook," IMO.
The Greyhawk supplement was extra material culled from Gary's and RJK's experience running the Greyhawk campaign in Lake Geneva, hence the name. Similarly, the Blackmoor supplement grew out of Dave Arneson's Blackmoor campaign.

The "East" on Oerth is actually to the west of the Flanaess on the continent of Oerik. Since the planet is the globe, going east or west will get you there. Even falling through a long shaft can land one in Cathay (China), as it did once to Robilar.

Hussar

Legend
Simm said:
I'm fine with the old version, which I never used, and I'm fine with the updated version, which I will probably never use, but one ability worries me.

A CR 5 monster is carrying more than 16 000 gp worth of equipment, I mean how many large chain shirts +4 are out there anyway. They can't make them themselves. If a party defeats one and happens to have a large member the balance of the game shifted with one battle.

Umm, Simm, reread your DMG. CR 5 Encouter=1600 gp. You added a zero there.

Sarellion

Explorer
Delta said:
Because in all previous editions, it lasted indefinitely long. Every few days or weeks the victim could try another saving throw.

I know, I still think it´s probably not enough if the OM stays in constant contact with non charmed people in his disguise.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Simm said:
I'm fine with the old version, which I never used, and I'm fine with the updated version, which I will probably never use, but one ability worries me.

A CR 5 monster is carrying more than 16 000 gp worth of equipment, I mean how many large chain shirts +4 are out there anyway. They can't make them themselves. If a party defeats one and happens to have a large member the balance of the game shifted with one battle.

I think you are misreading it - it isn't a +4 chain shirt!

It is a plain chain shirt which gives a +4 armour bonus (a magic +4 chain shirt would give a +8 armour bonus).

Cheers

occam

Adventurer
Plane Sailing said:
I think you are misreading it - it isn't a +4 chain shirt!

It is a plain chain shirt which gives a +4 armour bonus (a magic +4 chain shirt would give a +8 armour bonus).

Right, it's an error on the Possessions line. Mike apparently wasn't paying enough attention, and transferred the "+4 chain shirt" note for the ogre mage's AC as an actual +4 chain shirt.

Actually, it looks as if it should be a +2 chain shirt. There's no note about an increased natural armor bonus, and that's the only way I see getting the AC (and difference with touch AC) of the made-over ogre mage.

Scribble

First Post
Yeah... as someone already did with the 2e Monsterous Compendium, I checked my 1e Monster Manual... Nowhere in the description does it ever mention the OM being any sort of "master manipulator."

It basically says it's a japanese ogre that lives in uninhabited areas, such as caves and abandoned forts. It has powers, and a few slaves, and probably a few "ogre generals."

So it's not slipping into courts unnoticed and taking over the land. It's a monster in a cave waiting for the adventurers to beat it up and gank its stuff.

At least, if you go by the MM discription. Feel free to use the monster in your OWN camapign any way you want. You can still do that with the redesign. Just might have to make up a NEW story for this one. ;)

wayne62682

First Post
I would just like to add that I *like* the redesign. If I were a DM I would certainly look into having an Ogre Mage as a minor BBEG for a low to mid level campaign arc. I'm all about the flavor of monsters and how they fit in.. which is something I don't really need mechanics for.

That being said, as I have nothing else to contribute to this thread I will lurk and read what others have to say :)

Remove ads