• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Meet the DANCER, a unique arcane controller.

Rachel

First Post
The class screams Dexterity to me, at least as a secondary attribute. Still, I'd open up the attribute options a bit more - Cha + Dex or Wis makes sense.

You sure confused me here. This is all exactly how the class is written.
It does have Dex as a secondary attribute (and actually equal with Cha).
It does state that "Intelligence or Wisdom" are a good third stat choice.

Not that it matters, but arcane powers are spells; the name of powers is origin specific. I'd conform to the standard here, but mainly because I'm pretty Lawful in this way; I don't really think I'll convince you.

You won't. Calling them "Steps" not only does no harm, it adds to the classes flavor. And the standard is actually that alot of classes have different names for their powers (spells, exploits, etc. etc.).

Then again, I could see this being a psychic or even primal class, perhaps even leaving the origin open and having different builds use different origins - whereupon having a separate term for the powers makes sense. [Now I'm rambling]

Yah, you are! lol :)
Seriously, any class you could take in any myriad of directions. This is the direction I chose because it's my class and it being arcane fits my vision.

On Powers

The powers seem to be lacking in control for a controller class.

I'd give the dancer powers that allow positioning (long shifts, perhaps teleports), then make positioning matter to their powers (close bursts, close blasts).

Power like the rogue's Bloody Path, where you make a move and affect everyone adjacent to the path you moved, seem very appropriate too.

Powers that control positioning of both allies and enemies also make sense.

Alot of what you say here makes me think of leader classes, moreso than controllers. Controllers are burst AOE-oriented (largely, not entirely). Even still, if you look I have a power or three that does move you or an enemy. (Dance of Thundering Waterfall, Elite Blade, Strike Choreography).

I've only written up Lvl 1 powers....it's hard to cover every conceivable base with just those. More to come.

Of course, they need some ability to survive such close contact with the enemy, which is a tricky proposition.

[Perpetual Motion] Feat is a start.

Again, you might want to check out my Graceful bard for inspiration.

I definately will, because I love to check out all the creative things others are doing. Also, because I could have written the dancer as a bard build and elected not to. But, and you may disagree, I don't find that my class is lacking in "inspiration", so I won't check it out nescessarily for that reason. Thanks for all your comments. :)

Last edited:

Rachel

First Post
Possible dancer...

DnDClass_Monk.jpg

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Makes me want implements of Fans as the other option along side Staves and Ribbons... and veils of course.

Last edited:

Rachel

First Post
Makes me want implements of Fans as the other option along side Staves and Ribbons... and veils of course.

Will hand percussion musical instruments like the tamborine or marracas work for you? Thats in there. :p

Pass on the ribbons (unless this is BGC and Linna is involved), but fans are a cool idea. :)

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
When I design that gypsy "witch" I have in mind those will be fine I think to make her hybrid with a bard (presentient brand).

Note that means you need to build the Hybrid version for your class ;)... or maybe one of the builds for your dancer could target the seer like elements.

Normally my thinking is that imaginative skinning of classes and hybriding with multiclass too with a dash of background in place to free up some of the limits ... all combined will Now at least give me all the classes I need without necessarily creating any new ones.

The litmus test for a new class is also "Is there a healthy set of archetypes from legend myth and literature that this class will make easier or directly".(does it bring some unique mechanics that work better than a reskinning alone will provide... sometimes the does it fit better may just be attribute emphasis/role etc hardware but those are the simple bits)

Shrug you inspired me and reminded me of two character ideas that I havent found really good satisfactory methods to create yet... so thats definitely a winner even if Im not totally sure it succeeds on the litmus tests ;-)

Rachel

First Post
Hay guys! We've had quite a bit of fun talking about the class, but what Im now wondering is this:

If myself (or another) were to complete the class top-to-bottom, would anyone actually play it? Just curious.

circadianwolf

First Post
You've come a long way since your earlier classes. Bravo. :)

As such, I'm not going to go over everything, just offer two broad suggestions:

1. I would second the suggestion that dancers simply get a +2 to AC in cloth feature as avengers and monks do. Can't dancers be fast?

I would also suggest allowing different "rhythms" for the dancer to switch between, similar to the Runepriest's rune states in PHB3. If you don't have it, basically the Runepriest has two states (Rune of Protection and Rune of Destruction), with each power having a different effect based on what rune state they are currently in as well as a constant general effect. Daily powers could offer new rhythms that you could add to your options for an encounter.

(This would also help the sort-of problem that controllers have, which is that unlike other roles their class features almost never directly contribute to controlling. The general effects of each rhythm state could be minor controller effects that affect every power you use, thus allowing you to tailor your powers even further, which is usually more important for a controller than any other role.)

2. Because this is so clearly a class that should emphasize movement, I would suggest adopting the monk's full discipline mechanic, which again if you don't PHB3, is a bit complicated but the essential thing to know is each monk attack power also has a movement power attached to it--but monks can't use a movement power from one power and the attack power of a different power in the same turn (barring certain circumstances like action points).

Of course, these suggestions are both significant changes to the class (and would each increase the complexity enough that it might too much to add both), but I make them because while the flavor of the class is great, the class itself lacks, as others have mentioned, any particular mechanical punch. I suspect this is a result of your trying to tune the class power down, which is of course a good thing, for it is usually easier to add than to take away.

Oh, and because I can't help myself: 3. The class feature powers don't really add anything, especially for a controller class; they're just regular attack powers that they for some reason get for free. (Showstopper is also overpowered at-will. Think of the minions! Or Psychic Lock.) I suggest replacing them with either cantrip-esque non-combat-useful at-wills, or a 1/encounter controller power.

And hell yes to the implement fans, I believe they are already wondrous item fan implements from Dragon for some class, too.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
You've come a long way since your earlier classes. Bravo. :)

As such, I'm not going to go over everything, just offer two broad suggestions:

1. I would second the suggestion that dancers simply get a +2 to AC in cloth feature as avengers and monks do. Can't dancers be fast?

I would also suggest allowing different "rhythms" for the dancer to switch between, similar to the Runepriest's rune states in PHB3. If you don't have it, basically the Runepriest has two states (Rune of Protection and Rune of Destruction), with each power having a different effect based on what rune state they are currently in as well as a constant general effect. Daily powers could offer new rhythms that you could add to your options for an encounter.

(This would also help the sort-of problem that controllers have, which is that unlike other roles their class features almost never directly contribute to controlling. The general effects of each rhythm state could be minor controller effects that affect every power you use, thus allowing you to tailor your powers even further, which is usually more important for a controller than any other role.)

2. Because this is so clearly a class that should emphasize movement, I would suggest adopting the monk's full discipline mechanic, which again if you don't PHB3, is a bit complicated but the essential thing to know is each monk attack power also has a movement power attached to it--but monks can't use a movement power from one power and the attack power of a different power in the same turn (barring certain circumstances like action points).

I had thought of number 2 and agree whole heartedly...

the variable rythms might not be as needed if you have number 2 but... the combo might be very cool.

Remove ads