• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Meeting minimum feat prerequisites

moritheil

First Post
Scion said:
I explained this before, but you are taking it the wrong way.

The prereq for the feat is that you were born a certain way, the 'feat' itself is training yourself to be able to use this ability.

There could very well be people out there with the same, or at least very similar, bloodline but they dont get the ability. Because they didnt take the feat. They didnt figure out how to make it work and so it is forever lost to them (if this feat can only be taken at first level, I have no idea where it is from or what it does, I can only assume from what you have written).

You are talking about one conclusion and useing pieces from a different arguement, they do not connect in the way you are placing them.

The being born a certain way is a prereq, it is something that is just like having that str of 13 in this instance.

The actual feat is bringing forth your ability to 'use' it for something.

Without that feat the bloodline doesnt matter at all, a person could just say, 'I have blood of the whatever in me somewhere' and generally it'd be ok. No game effect (unless the dm wants to make it so, but then it is out of the pcs hands).

This, btw, is perhaps nice reasoning, but wholly erroneous. Go read the feat; it says you have the bloodline of fire, and a certain line of descent. I'll give you another example if you still think feats are training: Luck of Heroes. How do you train yourself to be lucky?

moritheil

First Post
Scion said:
Odd.. I dont see it under the benefits.

I am useing english and playing d&d, in case it matters ;)

Which of course means that there are game terms and language terms. Use the first whenever appropriate and then fall back to the other when necissary.

Hence the problem in word useage. The benefit of the feat is clearly listed. Although for plain english one could say that it is a benefit of having power attack that you may get cleave, but that is not proper d&d useage.

Which is why I clarified.

I have still seen no reason to do it the other way. There is no benefit overall to the game nor does it seem to follow the rules.

I have to point out that it's impossible for them to know when they write the original feat all the eventual feats that might later have it as a prerequisite. So of course they don't list qualifying for later feats as one of the benefits of the feat - they'd be hard-pressed to make comprehensive lists!

It is, further, entirely redundant to say something like "a benefit of having Power Attack is having Power Attack."

Remove ads