• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Melee and Ranged Combat Rules Changes in SAGA Edition

Oversquid

First Post
So I've been reading through the Star Wars Saga Edition rulebooks, and I can't help but think that the game's rules are a bit more in favor on Ranged Combat more so than Melee Combat, which means that most any melee combatant will, at least at the first few levels, simply be Blaster Bait.

Some of the rules I read, which I will state here below as the Official Rules:

1. If you fire a ranged weapon when a foe is next to you with a Ranged Weapon, you do not provoke an Attack of Opportunity.

2. You can spend a Move Action to Withdraw, but the first square of movement must be taken outside your opponent's threatened area, then you can move up to half your speed out of it.

3. You can Charge at your normal Speed and get a +2 bonus on your melee attack, but a -2 penalty to Reflex Defense until the beginning of your next turn.

What I'm getting at is that those two rules make it fairly difficult for a melee attacker to really pressure the ranged attackers as much as I think that they should.

My proposed rules changes are positioned below, and here is where I need your help. If those rules seem too stupid, then give your case, maybe provide what you have in mind... you guys know the drill:

1. Ranged Attacks made when an enemy melee attacker is threatening the Ranged Attacker provokes an Attack of Opportunity from the melee attacker.

2. Withdrawing is a Standard Action instead of a Move Action.

3. Charging allows you to move at double your speed (Minimum of 2 Squares) instead of your normal speed. Wearing Medium Armor allows you to charge at your speed and one half when charging, while wearing Heavy Armor only allows you to move at your normal speed when charging. Abilities that remove movement penalties for certain armor types (Such as the Soldier Talent; "Juggernaut") also removes the speed limit for charging. It is otherwise identical.

So what do you guys think? Will this help to put melee more in line next to ranged attackers?

EDIT: I forgot to add this: I also want to make a new feat to go along with these rules:

Improved Withdraw:
In a heartbeat, you can drop what you're doing, and move away from the fray.
Prerequisites: Dex 13.
Benefit: You can Withdraw as a Move Equivalent Action instead of a Standard Action.

Last edited:

jeffh

Adventurer
When I wanted more of a Knights of the Old Republic feel (melee is common, and at least as good as ranged a lot of the time) rather than the default SWSE feel (based on the movies, where melee is rare), I simply added a die of damage to each melee weapon, as well as adding a few additional melee weapons that were slightly more attractive than the ones already in the books. 1d8 would become 2d8 while 2d6 would become 3d6. However, I never really got a chance to test this out, so I don't know how well it would work in practice. Seems simpler than your solution, especially if you want to de-emphasize the grid a bit.

vagabundo

Adventurer
I've been GMing DOD for the past two years or so, on and off, and we have a Jedi Lightsaberer int he group. I've never noticed her character having problems, but she did need to take a few ranged force powers early on for those times it's not a good idea to close the gap.

Now I might be a bit lax enforcing the RAW all the time, but most attackers don't stand up to her for more than a round or two once she gets in close.

I'm pretty sure you can build some fantastic melee characters in SWSE that will kick ass.

Remove ads