Melee Cleric Build

Goodlad

First Post
Hey everyone,

Im just givig a mate a hand building a cleric for 3.5
Although im not too familiar with cleric prestige classes, they are the only class i have never played so i need a bit of help to help him.

The game is going to be a plane scape campaign.

My mate likes the idea of being a hard hitter in melee but also with the funky abilities of a cleric. I think he might be asking too much?

Does anyone have any advice on cleric builds/prestige classes that are nice?

Our games are pretty much always a power gamers game so dont hold back wit any "broken" ideas.

Goodlad

First Post
Broken: Divine Metamagic + Persistent Spell and a wagonload of Nightsticks. :lol:

Bye
Thanee

Hmmmm thats interesting.
On a side not for my own char, wizard + Sacred exorcist = Wizard with turning! Then the wizard can take Divine Metamagic.....

Goodlad

First Post
Hey guys, i just need to re-visit this thread because im getting a bit over whelmed with the options here.

What we are looking at now is the prestige class Ordained Champion.
Its pretty damn nice, the loss of caster levels isnt a preference but the melee abilitys from the class are great, especially sticking spells into your weapon.

As for the persist spell combo with night sticks: DM says no. Although i expected that.

So what im looking at now is the feats for a melee cleric, you guys any recommendations?

Im also looking at alternate class features, some are kinda nice but i just cant decide on them.

Also, the ordaned champion has to worship one of two gods.
The choice will be hextor which gives the following domains "Destruction, dominate, evil, law, war"

War is nice because it gives weapon focus for free which covers the feat req for ordanied champion. Both destruction and dominate are also nice.

The alternate feature from complete mage to drop a domain and essentially make your own from the wizard spell list is nice, even if the choice is only from certan schools.

Do you think its worth dropping either destruction or dominate to get that?

Also, any other ideas for melee cleric feats? My brain is ready to melt from researching it, lol

Edit: I just want to add that he will also be dual weilding flails, they are hextors favoured weapon. One can be light and just drop damage dice and with two weapon fighting the penalty is only -2/-2

The aim is also to have an animated shield to help bring AC up.

Last edited:

Goodlad

First Post
Do not dual wield. Your DPS will thank you.

Just to reply to what you said before the edit.
Smiting spell sucks compared to the ability the ordained champion gets.

If i can ask, how will the damage of the priest suck if he dual weilds?
I know with a 2 hander you will get more damage from your strength and odds are the weapon will have a better damage dice.

But with dual weilding and only having a minus 2 to hit, then if you factor in the reserve feat holy warrior, your getting a plus to damage on each hit equal to the highest war domain spell you have on memory.

If im missing something please let me know though.

Since the persist spell and the rod combo is out, im going to use diving metamagic with extend spell, it will come in handy i think.

I was considering using quicken for divine metamagic but i dont think i could afford it with the lack of rods giving extra turning to burn.

EDit: The favoured weapon of hextor is the flail.. so im kinda stuck using that since the bonus feats from the war domain are in the favoured weapon. So its either a case of using a flail and a shield or dual weilding flails (one downsized to light) and just get the animated shield.

Last edited:

Dandu

First Post
Duel Wielding means you have to put points into Dex, taking points away from Strength, Con, and Wis.

Tell you what. Calculate your stats, HP, AB and damage at a given level, and we'll match it up to a THFing melee character and a THFing cleric, and see how it compares.

In any case, spending a feat to do the same amount of damage/less damage than you would have normally done is probably not a very good idea.

Last edited:

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
Duel Wielding means you have to put points into Dex, taking points away from Strength, Con, and Wis.

There's also the Agile Shield Fighter feat from PH2 and the Gloves of the Balanced Hand item from Magic Item Compendium. So a high dex isn't necessarily required unless he wants to eventually get more than 1 extra off-hand attack.

EDIT: Of course the former would require dual wielding with a shield instead. I don't get why using a shield is so awful, though. At lower levels it's some nice, cheap AC.

Remove ads