D&D 5E Melee Gish Build Critique

Orlandeau

First Post
I have yet to play in any campaign over level 6. So all of my experience is based on theory. I had an idea for a Gish type char, but when it comes to upper-level play, I have no clue as to the weight certain ability scores/spells/features carry.

My build starts off close to a 2/18
sorcadin build thanks to the fantastic guide by Gastronomie. After it comes online at Lvl 5 I would start investing in EK to level 11 or 12 that way I could have the 3 attacks and the ASI improvements.

So in summary: S D C I W C
Vuman/half-elf city watch 16+8+14+8+12+(16 or 17)
Constitution save feat

GWF and Defense fighting styles
Smites and smite spells
Healing options
Metamagic for BB/GFB
Action surge / short rest heal
Enemy Disadvantage against Saving throws (Eld. Strike)
4-5 languages
LVL. 5 spell slots at least with Lvl 4
sorc spells
3 attacks
5-6 ASI's
And plenty of Main/Bonus/Reaction economy with
warcaster and the shield spell

Example:
Action: Attacks and
smites
Bonus action: quickened spells
Reaction: Shield or Booming Blade OA

If it's important, I'd do 168 average dmg. 292 with Action surge with no misses, no crits, and a full BB.
my math is poor, but I'm pretty sure the 168 is right. The

Would this be worth it, is the lack of higher level spells important? Would there be too much overlap with the spells of the EK and
sorc? Or would it just be better to go 6/14 sorcadin for 2 attacks and a quickened BB/GFB and spell slots? How viable is it compared to other class combinations?

I know it's how you want to play it, but I wanted to
be a spellsword juggernaut. And it's worth noting I can consider myself addicted to multiclassing just because I don’t like commitment.

zaratan

First Post
In the end would be 2/7/11 pali/ sorc /ek?

Doesn't look good if you start at lvl 1. You only gey the BB+bonus action attack at lvl 12. You would be a really nice lvl 20 character, but 60%+ of campaing will be bellow avg.

Last edited:

bid

First Post
Never Cha17 unless you want the actor feat.

So, at level 5 you'll be paladin 2 / sorcerer 3.

If you push fighter, you won't get your 3rd attack until level 16.
If you keep paladin, many things happen 2 levels earlier: ASI, extra attack.

At level 12 you are paladin 2 / sorcerer 3 / EK 7, war magic + BB will the same +2d8 per turn as IDS but comes 2 level earlier. You can get a 3rd attack twinning BB when you have a nova round. Smiting with war magic does more damage than quickened cantrips. You can already do 5 attacks with action surge, that's a lot of smiting damage for a nova round. As a level 12 caster 6 (1+3+2), that would spend all your 3rd and most of your 2nd.

Comparing choices:
At level 17 you are paladin 2 / sorcerer 4 / EK 11. This adds a 6th attack which uses a 2nd slot, or 2d6+5+3d8.
At level 17 you are paladin 2 / sorcerer 8 / EK 7. This gives you all 4th+ slots for nova, or +5d8.
At level 17 you are paladin 5 / sorcerer 10 / EK 2. You only get 4 attacks, or -2d6+5+5d8
At level 17 you are paladin 11 / sorcerer 4 / EK 2. You only get 4 attacks with IDS, or -2d6+5+1d8

I'm pretty sure paladin 11 has the best sustained, but EK 7 can keep up a long time. It comes up to the value of 3rd spells, paladin has a few sweet ones.

The other issue is how much fun you gain/lose before reaching level 12.

Remove ads