• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Melee Ranger Dex/Int question

elephantgrey

First Post
Im looking at a melee ranger build (with a Genasi), and im thinking of dumping Dex and using Int as my AC boost stat. Every guide/handbook ect. i can find seams to warn against this, but i cant work out why. i get the boost to my AC&Ref, and i get to be a Genasi (and it opens up a few multiclass options that im interested in.). The only problem i can see with the aray ive got (20 10 8 15 13 10) is that my Wis is a bit low, which makes some side effects a bit poor. Im not too bothered about Will, as im planning on taking Empty Mind feat which punishes targeting my Will.
Am i missing something here? I cant help thinking that there is a class feature or something that relies on Dex that ive overlooked.
Thanks in advance,
-elephantgrey

MrBeens

First Post
Initiative is based off dex, so you would suffer there, plus if you ever did pick up a ranged weapon you would be at a massive disadvantage

elephantgrey

First Post
I could always just use a Heavy Thrown and use Str for my RBA. Otherwise ranged attacks will always be at a disadvantage with Str builds, unless you lower your melee to-hit/damage to compencate...
But i guess i dont really hold initiative as that big a deal, theres a few feats/powers that add somthing if you go first, but generaly after the fights gotten longer than one or two rounds it ceses to be important.

marelion

First Post
There are a couple of reasons to warn against dumping Dex in favor of Int. You do not have a sinle class skill that triggers from Int, whereas you have several useful skils that trigger of Dex.

Your bonus to Initiative is solely dependant on Dex, you will loose out on some cool feats for martial classes like the crit-fisher-feats and dumping Dex blocks the road to the THW-feat tree.

unless you are goinhg Hybrid I cannot really think of a good reason why to put your precious ability points into Int. Keep in mind that in 4E there are no bonus languages or skill points associated with Int.

If you are going for vanilla flavour then go ahead but powerwise this is a very poor choice.

Any particular reason why you were asking?

elephantgrey

First Post
The main reason is i want race to be Genasi really, and the way i see it is that if i go for Dex over Int im missing out over a +1 to defences.

Dice4Hire

First Post
I say go for it and build your feats, multiclass or whatever you can to work off Intelligence and make a more unique Ranger.

And I say unique in the best possible way.

Dex is probably more optimal, but no reason you HAVE to go that way.

Klaus

First Post
Im looking at a melee ranger build (with a Genasi), and im thinking of dumping Dex and using Int as my AC boost stat. Every guide/handbook ect. i can find seams to warn against this, but i cant work out why. i get the boost to my AC&Ref, and i get to be a Genasi (and it opens up a few multiclass options that im interested in.). The only problem i can see with the aray ive got (20 10 8 15 13 10) is that my Wis is a bit low, which makes some side effects a bit poor. Im not too bothered about Will, as im planning on taking Empty Mind feat which punishes targeting my Will.
Am i missing something here? I cant help thinking that there is a class feature or something that relies on Dex that ive overlooked.
Thanks in advance,
-elephantgrey
Does it *have* to be a ranger? If you want a "warrior of the wild" vibe, you could easily build a Slayer (where Dex is a factor only in the extra damage) and use backgrounds and themes to have training in Stealth, Perception and Nature.

Klaus

First Post
i prefer the two weapon melee powers that rangers get to fighters. like the off-hand minor action powers and such.
Since Slayers are based off basic attacks, you can wield two weapons and decide which one to use for each attack. And then take the Two-Weapon Fighting feats to get more damage, better defense, etc. And the extra damage granted by the Slayer feature can be described as an additional slash by the off-hand.

There's also the Tempest build for the Fighter, which has plenty of two-weapon pwoers.

If that's a no-go, you *could* build a two-weapon ranger, and instead of the ranger's utility powers (which tend to be based on Wisdom) you could take skill powers for Int skills you might be trained in (thanks to backgrounds and themes). As others mentioned, you ranged attacks will be poor (even with a heavy thrown weapon, ranger ranged powers key off Dexterity, not Strength) and your initiative and Stealth will be lower.

Dex is clearly stronger than Int for a ranger. But there's no reason you can't do it the way you want to. Any class with Throw and Stab, Twin Strike, Disruptive Strike, Ruffling Sting, et. al is going to have no problems with power level.

And not all ranger ranged powers trigger off dexterity; see Throw and Stab for an example. Honestly, you'll be fine. You won't get the side benefit of Twin Strike, but honestly who cares? Your acrobatics and stealth will be slightly lower. But again this isn't catastrophic.

The optimisation boards say not to go for int because it's worse than dex for a ranger. But it's your secondary not your primary stat and with a good strength you'll be powerful enough that you'd only be able to tell if you were fighting alongside a str/dex ranger. Even then you've devoted almost everything to Str so the difference will be minimal.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads