• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Meloncov's Sci-Fi Illustrations

Meloncov

First Post
At the suggestion of one of my teachers, I'm relighting and reposing some models for the application.

app1.JPG

Meloncov

First Post
The finished ship for Earthbinder, combined in an image with my old airship. I have quite a few more angles rendered if people want to see them.

airships.JPG

airships2.JPG

Scarecrow

First Post
I've been following this thread for a while now and whilst i'm impressed with what you've achieved in DOGA, I think you need to seriously look at your lighting and texturing and I think you've reached the limits of what DOGA can do for you in this area.

You mentioned earlier on in this thread that you were learning Wings3D. Failing a full-scale professional package like Lightwave, MAX or Maya - I think Wings3D is an excellent next step and I think you should definately start concentrating on that.

<edit> - That said, I just downloaded Wings and had a look at it and whilst it appears to be an excellent beginner's poly-modeller, there appears to be no way to assign bitmaps to the individual material channels. Equally there appear to be no shadow settings on the lights. Both of which you'll need if you want to do anything worthwhile :(

Crow

Last edited:

Meloncov

First Post
Scarecrow said:
<edit> - That said, I just downloaded Wings and had a look at it and whilst it appears to be an excellent beginner's poly-modeller, there appears to be no way to assign bitmaps to the individual material channels. Equally there appear to be no shadow settings on the lights. Both of which you'll need if you want to do anything worthwhile :(

Crow

There are ways to get shadows and to UV map textures, but they're a pain and often require going through a plugin or second program.

I am working on learning Lightwave from books and DVD lessons. It's rather slow going, but I'm making some progress. I've also applied for a month long training program in Max at an art school; I'll find out if I got in in the next couple of weeks.

I'm continuing to use Doga either for commissions, where I don't want to subject the commisioner to me bumbling around a new program, or for projects for the Digital Animation club at school, where most of the members don't know any programs besides Doga, so we are working entirely within the program.

Remove ads