Memorable Moments

Nikroecyst

First Post
Herzog, by far my favorite story I've read yet. Cheers for allowing them to keep the two kobold babies. My group just killed them, out of fear that they would grow up and avenge thier community.

roguerouge

First Post
One recent one was in a campaign that's reached epic levels. My orc barbarian/bard had been dominated and forced to attack the rest of the party. So he grappled the druid, who had just wildshaped into an eagle, and used the druid to whack some sense into the party ranger. You know, like the druid was an enormous rubber chicken!

Another character of mine (in second edition) once put his foot into a Bag of Devouring, thinking it was a passage under a Darkness spell. He came back without a foot. When they were escaping the complex under heavy fire, he knelt on a floating shield and used two swords as ski poles to move faster.

Silver Moon

Adventurer
We were playing at the home of a player who happened to live in a "granola community" (i.e., people still living in the 1960's flower children movement). My friend wasn't of that ilk, but the lodgings were cheap. Anyway, half way through the game a neighbor knocks on the door. She wants to come in to look for her cat, which would sometimes sneak into my friend's place. As she looks around we continue to play, ignoring her. The DM then gets to a place in the module where he says "So, you want to know where the druids are?" She's immediately at the table, and starts to tell everyone that she knows where the druids are, followed by several sentences of assorted babble, then runs out the door screaming. Probably the scariest moment I can remember at a game.

Harmon

First Post
Thinking about this one last night.

Big battle with one of the big bads (a wizard by the name of Sylar (this was years before Heroes)).

My wizard expends all but a few spells (mostly zero and first lvls left), down to a hand full of hit points. Sylar too is exhausted of his spells. A full move away I declare a charge, staff in both hands like a baseball bat. "Two powerful wizards, Sylar, and it comes down to a big stick against a head!" Swing- crit hit. Dropped him to just past dead. We grabbed our wounded, leaving our dead, taking the statue, and using a CL18 Teleport scroll to escape just as a horde of Orcs (two or three levels beneath us) charge onto the field.

We lost two PCs permanently due to that battle, and the wizard still retains a Player invoked limp from the battle.

robomage

First Post
we were playing a game at my house. My cat, Tiger, was sleeping on the back of the sofa behind one player. We were exploring a haunted pyramid full of undead. As the DM was describing how a ghost appeared in front of the party, Tiger reached out a paw while asleep and touched the shoulder of the person on the sofa. He jumped up and startled Tiger awake who shoot from the room. I am not sure who was more scared, the player or Tiger.

Mamacat

First Post
Had to be in the Eberron game I was in a couple of years ago. We were in a city mostly populated by gnomes, and I don't remember all the hilarity, but at some point, I came up with the term "Gnomestoppel", which broke up the whole table with laughter for about five minutes. :lol:

0bsolete

First Post
Back when I first started playing, in my second AD&D game ever, I had to reroll my character (using the 4D6, drop 1, placed in the order they are rolled) so I ended up with an 18/46 str, a 15 con, average in other places, except for a 6 int and a 7 wis. I forgot to name my new dwarven fighter (was trying to finish the sheet while the party was in town) and so he got stuck with the first name the thief could think of, Pastry. So my new mentally deficient, happy-go-lucky, good-natured dwarven warrior with a strong distrust for trees believing them to be the spies of an alien race with the intent to destroy dwarves and monopolize the mead industry ran off with the party. Later in the game he ran across a magic carpet, which he decided to make into his "war horse" by rolling it up around a halberd and riding it. Finally, we got to the first "boss" and as the thief was making a plan, my character hops on his "noble steed" and charges, waving his axe wildly as he tries "gut the bad thingy" he got a surprise round, due to the sheer awe of the "boss" and managed to make two critical hits, then a critical miss. Killing the boss, and then "tripping and snapping his neck" as determined by the critical miss table the DM used.

Edit: he was later revived and became the party's negotiator because his very simple minded logic was actually misunderstood for wisdom. People at first often would think that his tendency to simplify things down to their most basic parts was due to his wisdom, not his inability to understand anything more complex. Also, his childishly cheery tendencies helped.

Last edited:

Thornir Alekeg

Albatross!
1st edition game with 17th level PCs. In the climactic battle we had to fight a huge fire creature and a group of his minions. Over the course of the battle the fighter and the thief were killed along with the minions. The cleric and my wizard were the only ones lest standing, but we had burned through most of our spells. I had an illusion spell left, and the cleric had a couple of 1st and 2nd level spells remaining. I created an illusion of a huge tidal wave crashing across the room from the corridor. As the illusion of the wave reached the BBEG, our cleric cast Create Water over its head to add some real wetness to the illusion. The creature just made its save vs. spell, but the DM decided that the real water added to the illusion confused the creature so much it panicked and gated itself away.

Dioltach

Legend
In a Star Wars campaign, one adventure ended with the Scout and my Infiltrator chasing the BBEG into an underground docking bay, where he climbed into his spaceship and was about to escape. As he opened the roof and waited to power up, the Scout continually pounded his ship with an ion gun, while my Infiltrator ran back up to the speeder we’d driven up in.

Just as the BBEG managed to take off, I hopped in the speeder and aimed straight for the docking bay. I jumped out at the last minute, and the speeder smashed into the spaceship as it was taking off. Big explosion. Big movie moment. Very satisfying.

Remove ads