• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Memories and Portents Chapter#1: A Dark and Stormy Knight

SecondTime

First Post
The halflings administer their mostly mundane healing salves and techniques to the tired party, mending their wounds over the course of what remains of the journey to New Cyre. Antonus' spider bite presents the most difficult case, but an antitode to the venom is eventually scrounged together from forest herbs found along the trade road.

Asmor

First Post
Antonus graciously accepts the succor provided and retires to a secluded corner of one of the less-populated rooms...

A short while later, an old half-elven woman approaches Antonus holding a wooden bowl filled with a thick, brown stew. "You look hungry, dear," she says as she hands him the bowl. The two exchange a smile as Antonus takes it. Lacking a spoon, he eagerly hoists it to his lips. Not gourmet by any stretch of the imagination, he thinks to himself, but tasty and filling... Best food I've had in weeks, to be sure.

"I want to thank you so much for helping us... Such a brave and dutiful young man..."

"Umm... Thank you, ma'am." Antonus sort of nods anxiously... He's not used to having such attention lavished on him and it makes him a bit uncomfortable.

"Tell me... is there a special lady in your life?"

"No..."

"Really? That's wonderful news! My grand daughter, Kayla, could use a companion! She's been so sad since her mother, bless her soul, passed away..." The old woman pauses for a moment in reflection. It quickly passes and she continues, "Come, you must sit with us... It's not good to be alone."

No such thing as a free meal, Antonus thinks to himself. Oh well, I guess I owe it to her... This stew is very good.. "Of course... Thank you for the invitation." Wonder what's wrong with this "Kayla." I bet she has buck-teeth. Buck-tooth Kay-- Antonus stops mid-thought as he reaches the fire where Kayla and her grandmother have been sitting. The young half-elven maiden stands up, and despite the dirty, ragged dress clinging to her frame she is the vision of beauty. Long red tresses surround huge eyes the color of emeralds, and full, luscious lips stretch into the most beautiful smile Antonus has ever seen.

Kayla looks back at her grandmother and then back at Antonus, who finally realizes he's been standing there staring at her. He quickly wipes away the stew covering his upper lip and stammers out, "Oh! Hi! Ant I'mtonus-- Antonus! I'm Antonus!"

Kayla giggles. "Kayle. Charmed." She sits down. "Would you like some more stew?"

"Oh, no. I mean, yes. I mean, not right now... Still have plenty!" He tilts his bowl towards her to show that it's still quite full.

The old lady watches the two and sees they seem to be getting along, and decides she should excuse herself. "I'm going to see if anyone else wants some stew," she says as she departs, grinning slyly.

SecondTime

First Post
OOC: Oh, and remember to update your statblocks in the character stats thread with any additional equipment, xp totals, etc. First come first serve with the loot, i guess, though you can decide amongst yourselves. From now on, I think I will start handing out gold for encounters, with the exceptions of some plot specific items (Khyl's scimitar, for instance; hint, hint), because its easier to keep track of and will give you guys extra flexibility.

Asmor

First Post
OOC: Would you mind adding links to the OOC and character threads to the first post? Even though I'm subscribed to them all, it's still a pain to find them since they're updated so rarely and get buried under tons of other threads I'm subscribed to.

Minor quibble... I forgot you'd posted total exp for everyone, and I just added it all up. I believe that Kaine, Khyl, Arden and myself should get 510 exp (in post #218 you give 60 exp instead of 50).

For the benefit of the others who didn't get the exp for the last fight, here's the totals:

Post 60: 50 exp, all
Post 88: 50 exp, all
Post 123: 50 exp, all
Post 161: 50 exp, all
Post 218: 60 exp, all
Post 244: 150 exp, Kaine, Khyl, Arden, Antonus
Post 244: 100 exp, all

As far as the items go, the headband seems good and the translator ring seems like it could potentially be useful. Everything else I have no qualms about selling (unless someone wants them, of course) and splitting the gold evenly.

Last edited:

Enforcer

Explorer
The headband is nice, but Kaine has Monk saving throws and decent Wisdom, so he can pass. Nothing really else that he'd want, except a share of the cash.

SecondTime

First Post
Asmor said:
OOC: Would you mind adding links to the OOC and character threads to the first post? Even though I'm subscribed to them all, it's still a pain to find them since they're updated so rarely and get buried under tons of other threads I'm subscribed to.

Minor quibble... I forgot you'd posted total exp for everyone, and I just added it all up. I believe that Kaine, Khyl, Arden and myself should get 510 exp (in post #218 you give 60 exp instead of 50).

For the benefit of the others who didn't get the exp for the last fight, here's the totals:

Post 60: 50 exp, all
Post 88: 50 exp, all
Post 123: 50 exp, all
Post 161: 50 exp, all
Post 218: 60 exp, all
Post 244: 150 exp, Kaine, Khyl, Arden, Antonus
Post 244: 100 exp, all

As far as the items go, the headband seems good and the translator ring seems like it could potentially be useful. Everything else I have no qualms about selling (unless someone wants them, of course) and splitting the gold evenly.

OOC: Nice catch on the xp. 510 xp for Kaine, Khyle, Arden, and Antonus. I'll start posting the links the in the first game post as well.

SecondTime

First Post
OOC: Everyone agreed on keeping translater's ring and headband and selling everything else? If so, the other items and gold have a total price of 1275gp to split as you will. We'll see which of the original party shows up in the next game thread, and you can make your final determination after that, otherwise, I'll assume an even gp split.

hero4hire

Explorer
OOC: Khyl will detect magic on the scimitar. He will then ask around the caravan if anyone is knowledgable in the origin of the weapon. Perhaps a smith? Or a sage?

SecondTime

First Post
hero4hire said:
OOC: Khyl will detect magic on the scimitar. He will then ask around the caravan if anyone is knowledgable in the origin of the weapon. Perhaps a smith? Or a sage?

Khyl's divinations detect a faint aura of planer magic (conjuration) eminating off of the weapon. That is enough to trigger memories of lessons learned from elder shifter shaman concerning the battle against the abominations from another reality that threatened Eberron many a year ago. The bard and temporary companion Soto offers what he knows from tales heard in a number of small hamlet in northern Breland; orc and shifter druids made use of magical weapons such as this infused with powerful planer and fey magics to fight off the horrors; however, activating these properties in the weapons required the weilder to already have a deep mystical connection to nature, a connection which only experiences shamans and druids could boast.....

Last edited:

Remove ads