• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Menace of the Icy Spire (Ozymandias79 judging)

changer

First Post
“Oh Dimmit, I left my staff in the sled, taste cold steel, dead….person…thing.”
Janus states boldly, as he slashes with his dagger at the zombie who gets to close, then follows up by tracing arcane symbols in the air and begins to murmur in a forgotten tongue. Soon a low rumble begins, quickly reaching a crescendo as a wave of ice and snow is blasted forth from Janus’s feet stretching out to engulf the closest zombie.

[sblock=ooc]
OK, Religion roll1d20+9=24

Opportunity Attack:
Dagger vs. AC1d20+1= 20
Damage 1d4=1

(I stuffed the rolls here, putting a 2 in the number of rolls, thinking it referred to the individual dice, not to the number of rolls per dice; please ignore the 3 and 4th values.)

If the 1st Zombie is still standing Janus will stay where he is and use Thunderwave targeting the M4 Zombie. (Do you want be to specify the affected squares?) I will use the +1 for within 24hours on this attack roll.

If the 1st zombie is dead, Janus will move to L2 and Thunder Wave Zombie K2 instead.

Thunder Wave vs. Fort.1d20+4+1=8
Damage:1d6+4=5Thunder Damage, Push 3 squares.
[/sblock]

[sblock=Janus stat block]
Janus Reinhardt - Male Human Wizard 1
Passive Perception: 13, Passive Insight: 19
AC: 16, Fort: 12, Reflex: 15, Will: 16 -- Speed: 6
HP: 22/22, Bloodied: 11, Surge Value: 5, Surges left: 7/7
Initiative: +4
Action Points: 1, Second Wind: not used
Powers: Magic Missile, Ray of frost, Thunderwave, Icy Terrain, Freezing Cloud, Sleep(Memorized)
[/sblock]

Last edited:

JoeNotCharles

First Post
OOC: grr, my wireless went down and ate my post. This game's got good momentum, so I'll just post the results anyway in case Larinza's about to play.

[sblock=Janus]
You know that zombies are mindless creatures created and controlled by necromantic rituals, or sometimes raised on their own by corrupted magical energy. The key here is "mindless" - that flanking maneuver seemed too sophisticated for a zombie to come up with on its own.
[/sblock]

Janus flails at the zombie with his knife, and hits with a cut that shouldn't have had any effect. However, on the slippery ice it knocks the zombie off balance slightly. It starts to turn to face him, but its foot catches and it topples slowly backwards. As it makes no attempt to catch itself, its head strikes the ice full force and... shatters. Whatever cold magic animated it has also made it brittle.

The wizard steps over the body and quickly casts his spell, but lets it off in too much haste. The wave of force digs a shallow trench southeastward through the ice, missing the zombie completely.

The chill zombie stumbles forward lethargically. It shakes off some of its slowness and lurches into a shambling run, howling, and slams into Larinza from behind. It tries to lock its rigid hands around her throat; she twists to put her body in the way and forces it to grab her shoulder instead, but still the grasping fingers dig in and ice begins to spread across Larinza' s body. The attack seems to invigorate it and it shakes off the last of its stupor.

On the other side of the ship, another zombie rushes at Shorrin and brings its ice-hard fists down on his shoulder, rocking him back a step.

[sblock=Status]
Janus hits with the OA and kills Zombie #2. (Yay! Minion!) Then he misses with Thunderwave.

Chillborn #3 moves 2 squares to O5, then charges 2 squares to M4, hitting Larinza with a ridiculous roll (+3 for combat advantage and charging, and I rolled 18 anyway) for 6 damage. Larinza is immobilized and take 4 ongoing cold damage. Then it passes its saving throw and recovers from the Sleep spell.

Larinza and Janus are now taking 4 cold damage per turn for being in its aura (fortunately that doesn't stack so Larinza still only takes 4 total).

Zombie #3 charges to R14 and hits Shorrin for 5 damage.

Larinza - your turn. You take 4 cold damage immediately. Since you're immobilized you can't move (but you can attack and do other actions). If you pass a DC 15 Religion test you can read the "Janus" block above. At the end of your turn, make a saving throw for the ongoing cold damage.

Balth (I9) - 27
Chillborn Zombie #1 (P15) - 24 - 5 damage
Shorrin (Q14) - 18 - 9 damage
Zombie #1 (K2) - 17
Chillborn Zombie #2 (J9) - 15 - 29 damage, bloodied
Zombie #2 (M4) - 15
Janus (M3) - 14 (12 when not near Larinza)
Chillborn Zombie #3 (M4) - 13 - slowed
Zombie #3 (R14) - 12
Larinza (L3) - 9 - 15 damage, immobilized << Your turn
Murphy (P13) - 4
Zombie #4 (K19) - -1
[/sblock]

(Backup map)

Last edited:

Moon_Goddess

Have I really been on this site for over 20 years!
[sblock="OOC"] Sorry long day at work no time for ENworld.

Hope I didn't slow things up too much. Religion Check (1d20+2=15) Wow that couldn't have been any closer.[/sblock]

Larinza brings down a hard attack against the flanking zombie, not to do damage but to open it up to attack from Janus

[sblock="ooc"]
Furious Smash against Zombie at M4 (1d20+6=23) 3 damage and Janus gets a plus +3 to attack and damage on his next attack against it.

Larinza is now bloodied.

Saving throw against ongoing cold. (1d20=17)

[/sblock]

"Gods these things are cold."

[sblock=Larinza stat block]Larinza Tsani- Female Human Warlord 1
Passive Perception: 11, Passive Insight: 11
AC:17, Fort:15, Ref:14, Will:15 -- Speed: 5
HP:9/24, Bloodied:12, Surge Value:6, Surges Per-Day 8
Initiative +2 Action Points: 1, Second Wind: not used
Powers:
Furious Smash
Viper's Strike
Wolf Pack Tactics

Inspiring Word Inspiring Word
Hammer and Anvil

Bastion of Defense
[/sblock]

JoeNotCharles

First Post
[sblock=OOC]
No, not holding things up at all - I was amazed how fast this was moving!
[/sblock]

Larinza's blow glances off the zombie's icy chest, chipping it only slightly, but forcing it back a step, away from Janus.

[sblock=Status]
Murphy's turn - he takes 4 cold damage from cold aura. Nobody's moved so no need for a new map.
[/sblock]

renau1g

First Post
Murphy realizes that being up close and personal with these rotting carcasses is the last thing he wants, having heard many stories during his time on the seas about animated corpses.

He moves along the ice away from the creatures, before spinning and blasting one of the more average looking zombies with a beam from his dagger.

[sblock=OOC]
Minor: Curse Chillborn zombie
Move: S-S-SW (Activate Shadow Walk & gain concealment
Standard: Cast Eldritch Blast at the non-Chillborn Zombie
Vs. Ref; Dmg (1d20+4=18, 1d10+4=9)
[/sblock]

[sblock=Murphy stat block]Murphy Tang- Male (Human) Warlock 1
Passive Perception: 10, Passive Insight: 12
AC:16, Fort:12, Ref:15, Will:16 -- Speed:6
HP:22/26, Bloodied:13, Surge Value:6, Surges Per-Day 8
Initiative +1
Action Points: 1, Second Wind: not used
Powers: Eldritch Blast, Eyebite, Change Shape, Witchfire, Armor of Agathys
[/sblock]

Last edited:

JoeNotCharles

First Post
[sblock=OOC]
See that big sail sticking out of the waterice? That's pretty much an icy wall from your point of view. Well, there are also some ropes from the rigging you can grab onto, but they're covered with ice too.

To move S-S-SE - which will put you onto the deck - you'll need to climb it, which will be a DC 13 Athletics check. (Also it counts as difficult terrain while climbing, which doesn't matter in this case because you have enough move anyway.) You can cut down that DC if you can figure out a way to melt some of the ice, or if you have some climbing tools.

EDIT: also, I got my directions mixed up. S-S puts you balancing on top of a spar that's sticking out, and then you'd have to leap the gap to the SE. S-S-SW puts you on the deck without having to jump.

Still want to do that?
[/sblock]

JoeNotCharles

First Post
[sblock=An apology]
I just realized I steered you wrong in the setup.

I was picturing the ship as pretty much sitting above the ice with a flat deck, with the fallen mast and sails sweeping down at an angle to the north. You can see how the sails disappear into the "water", with the part under "water" dimly visible. So when you asked to be placed in order to get onto the deck, I said you had to be to the north, in a position to climb the sails.

But I just noticed that part of the southern deck also disappears under the "water". The ship is actually sitting at an angle, with the deck sloping up from the ice to the north, and then the mast sloping back down to the ice. So to be in place to climb onto the deck, I should have placed you to the south, at M6 or K7.

So, sorry.

Since it's too late to correct that, I'm going to lower the DC to climb the sails and rigging by 2. It's now DC 11. (Murphy makes it either way.)

Since I've now realizeddecided that the deck is sloping, moving on the deck at greater than half speed, or using the Run action, will take a DC 10 Athletics check because it's hard to keep your balance.
[/sblock]

Murphy swarms easily up the rigging, tiny shards of ice falling away as he climbs. When he reaches the top it's only a few steps along the spar to the relative safety of the deck, which slopes steeply down to where he can now see more zombies menacing his companions. Before he can take in the situation to the south, he spins around and disintegrates the zombie menacing Shorrin with a well-placed blast.

The remaining zombie stumbles into range, breaking into a run at the last minute and slamming into Shorrin on the side that Murphy just left.

[sblock=Status]
Murphy moves to O10 and kills the zombie at R14.

Zombie #4 moves to M15 and then charges to P14, hitting Shorrin for 5.

Balth's turn, and also his turn to take 4 cold damage from the aura.

Balth (I9) - 27 - 4 damage << Your turn!
Chillborn Zombie #1 (P15) - 24 - 5 damage
Shorrin (Q14) - 18 - 14 damage
Zombie #1 (K2) - 17
Chillborn Zombie #2 (J9) - 15 - 29 damage, bloodied
Zombie #2 (M4) - 15
Janus (M3) - 14 (12 when not near Larinza)
Chillborn Zombie #3 (M4) - 13 - 3 damage
Zombie #3 (R14) - 12
Larinza (L3) - 9 - 15 damage, bloodied
Murphy (O12) - 4 - 4 damage
Zombie #4 (P14) - -1
[/sblock]

(No backup map this time - supload and imageshack aren't working)

Last edited:

Remove ads