[Merged]3.5e Official DMG PrC List and Psion's "next trick" thread

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Re: Re: How much will they change?

The Cardinal said:

My wish for the changes from Spellsword to Eldritch Knight:

Just a random thought - but I wonder whether they might take some elements of the soulknife to use as an eldritch knight?

bret

First Post
Merlion said:

I think the reason they dont go after the "root" of the problem is 2 things...one re doing the multiclass rules entirly is to big...this is a revision not a new edition. Next...how exactly else would they "fix" it? how else would you allow someone mutliclassing 2 spellcasting classes not to lose massive amounts of spells from one or both of them? How do you allow a spellcasting class to mutliclass with a nonspellcasting class consistently and not lose massive amounts of power in one or the other?

Have feats that do some combination of:
  • Provide a boost to caster level but not spell progression, so that the spells you have are of competitive power with other characters of your level
  • Consider improving the feats that give bonus spell slots. Right now, they seem a little underpowered.
  • Separate spell progression from caster level. It is the caster level hit that really hurts the multiclass caster.
  • In some of the PrCs, give bonus to caster level rather than spell progression.

This would help make something like a Rogue 6 / Wizard 3 a viable option. A character that is much more focused on the non-spellcasting class, just dabbling in the spellcasting class. You aren't looking for the super-powerful spells, but you also don't want the spells so weak that they are a waste of effort casting them.

Which brings up a good point. The PrCs tend to handle half of the problem. Take the Arcane Trickster as an example. It makes an excellent Wizard that dabbles in skills, but with the reduced BAB progression and reduced HD it is a poor choice for someone that is mostly Rogue with just a little wizard mixed in. Where is the PrC for that person?

bret

First Post
Re: Re: How much will they change?

The Cardinal said:

I seriously hope that they will give the EK/Spellsword 2.0 full spell progression - because this would made the PrC viable, not broken.
My wish for the changes from Spellsword to Eldritch Knight:

Requirements:

Feats: Weapon Specialization
Spells: Ability to cast arcane spells of 1st level or higher

Requiring Weapon Specialization would make it impossible to qualify as a Paladin, Ranger or Barbarian.

Taking Ranger/Barbarian with a spellcaster to get into spellsword right now only requires Heavy Armor Proficiency. I think this is a good thing, allow any of the fighter classes to get into the class.

Remove ads