• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E [Merged] D&D Next/5E Release Schedule Threads

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Lecturing other people on what they can afford seems rude to me.....not that that was aimed at me. As for buying miniatures on the secondary market, that is not always an obvious or easy thing to do for many consumers, especially children.

Thaumaturge

Wandering. Not lost. (He/they)
Y'all are welcome.

I'm trying to channel my excitement for the forces of good. B-)

Thaumaturge.

And my avatar is just a stolen copy of the WotC twitter avatar.
Enjoy.
5bbVy8GK.jpeg

Dausuul

Legend
I can not afford $4 minis I can not afford $50 books

I have been hopeing and praying for wotc to say $40 or dreamed of $35

You can preorder on Amazon right now for $40, and the price may well go down between now and release. Plus, given the staggered timeline, Mearls has promised that it will be possible to run with just the PHB ("we have a plan for that"). I'm with those who think he means cheap PDFs, an SRD, or some combination thereof. Heck, if 5E uses the OGL, you might be able to run it for free!

As for minis... well, first of all, as I said, you'll be able to get the commons a lot cheaper than $4. But in any case, surely your existing collection can cover most of what you need? It's not like minis come with an expiration date. Most of my miniature collection is from the 3E era, but I used them all the way through 4E and the Next playtest, and I expect to keep on using 'em when 5E is released. I'll have a look at the new ones and see if there's anything super-spiffy-awesome that I just gotta have, but if there isn't, no sense in wasting money for the Sparkly New Orc. I already have a ton of Boring Old Orcs that can do the job just fine.

Last edited:

delericho

Legend
Unfortunately I don't have a definitive source either...

Okay, thanks.

I've read $9 for the Monster Manual, $12 for the PHB, and $18 for the DMG during first print runs.

As I note on the other thread, I was able to verify $10 for the Monster Manual and $15 for the DMG.

(Incidentally, and only because it's mentioned up-thread - I've checked my 3.0e DMG and MM since getting home, and these were definitely $19.95 in the first printing. As was the PHB.)

Any particular reason you haven't spent the last 4 months that we assumed the books were going to be $50 actually saving up to pay the extra $10 for the Player's Handbook? If you could afford the $40 but not the $50... you'd think you'd be using this time dropping your pocket change into a jar just in case.

Luckily for you... since the DMG doesn't release until November, you can spend the next 6 months gathering together the extra $30 you'd need and buy all 3 books together at $150, rather than your planned hope of buying them all at an affordable $120.

Because at my current temp job even with food stamps I end p useing credit cards for food... My savings got depleted back in March

GM Drew

Explorer
Prices...

I don't have a problem with the price at all. If you figure price-per-use, it's really pennies compared to other forms of entertainment. I've dropped $50 on a single game of golf... not to mention pay-to-play MMO games. I don't agree with comparing it to inflation from previous versions either. Everything goes up. Artist consignment fees, printing costs, marketing... and on and on. It's not JUST inflation. It's our hobby and I don't mind supporting both WotC AND the FLGS that I will be buying it from. I can skip a meal at McDonalds and Taco Bell for a bit.

Remove ads