• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E [Merged] D&D Next/5E Release Schedule Threads

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I am not sure, but here in EU we are told that inflation has been basically near zero in the last few years at least.

Seems like the cost of everything in the US went up. Gasoline prices went through the rough, which raised the shipping cost of all goods to get to market, which raised the prices of all those goods. Health care also increased a lot. Anyway, yeah, we've had inflation in the US.

Patrick McGill

First Post
I'm not economically savvy, but it seems to me the quality of art and formatting gets better with each edition, which should explain at least part of the price increase, right? When you go from black and white sketches to full color paintings, somethings bound to get more expensive.

Actoba

First Post
On an unrelated note: I seem to have a gigantic amount of white space between the end of my posts and my sig. I can't figure out why. Thoughts?

It looks like the min height of a given post is determined by whichever is largest out of -

The post content (before the signature)
OR
The profile column (down to the "Ignore Username" button...again ignoring the signature)

And then the signature is added on to increase it

Also, release dates...wooo :)

Dausuul

Legend
If you say yes, I will take up a fund to gather the $15 necessary from the users here. I bet I can find 15 people to kick in a buck. Heck, I bet I could find the 30 people needed to kick in $0.50 each. Or how about a mug or a mousepad? Can I send you a mug or a mousepad with the new D&D ampersand logo on it and the text of "I complained about the D&D book prices and all I got was this stupid mug/mousepad" on it? Would that do it? Cause I'm seriously, I will mail you one of those :)
That's a bit flip, don't you think? Someone says he's struggling to put food on the table and this is your response?

If I were in that situation, I would be looking forward to the release of a new edition of D&D as one of the few forms of entertainment I could afford. As others have pointed out, the value proposition is hard to beat. And if the price were a substantial jump over the last edition (and yes, $50 is a substantial jump, even if there are good reasons for it), I'd complain too.

Cybit

First Post
That's a bit flip, don't you think? Someone says he's struggling to put food on the table and this is your response?

If I were in that situation, I would be looking forward to the release of a new edition of D&D as one of the few forms of entertainment I could afford. As others have pointed out, the value proposition is hard to beat. And if the price were a substantial jump over the last edition (and yes, $50 is a substantial jump, even if there are good reasons for it), I'd complain too.

Yeah - that was going a little too far.

Thankfully the books are going for $40 on Amazon; so hopefully GM will be able to get the books as desired.

kettite

Explorer
I'm not economically savvy, but it seems to me the quality of art and formatting gets better with each edition, which should explain at least part of the price increase, right? When you go from black and white sketches to full color paintings, somethings bound to get more expensive.

Well, not necessarily. TSR was a basement operation in the beginning, so their product was limited to the budget of a start-up amongst enthusiasts. It may have cost them more for printing, etc. (in scale) because they could not order in bulk the way Hasbro/WotC can. So Hasbro has ins with the artistic community and printers because of their size and cache - whereas Gygax et al. (in the early days of the mid 70s) were reliant on semi-professional artists to manage expense.

The reaction in the gaming community if WotC had released the new edition as 3 small stapled pamphlets with limited black and white line art would be fantastic to witness though.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)

To offer him money or free stuff? You have an odd view of life.

To be fair, you're talking about a response I made well before he said he was struggling to put food on the table. My response was to a guy complaining about the price, who has known about that same price for months and has been engaging in our discussions for years. I was being humorous (but real - I really will make those things for him if he wants), because he's a peer I like here. Heck I will make him the mousepad or mug with just the ampersand image and none of that snarky text if he wants :)

Patrick McGill

First Post
Well, not necessarily. TSR was a basement operation in the beginning, so their product was limited to the budget of a start-up amongst enthusiasts. It may have cost them more for printing, etc. (in scale) because they could not order in bulk the way Hasbro/WotC can. So Hasbro has ins with the artistic community and printers because of their size and cache - whereas Gygax et al. (in the early days of the mid 70s) were reliant on semi-professional artists to manage expense.

The reaction in the gaming community if WotC had released the new edition as 3 small stapled pamphlets with limited black and white line art would be fantastic to witness though.

I didn't think of that, and it makes a lot of sense.

GM Drew

Explorer
GenCon indication

If Gencon is any indication of people willing to shell out the ca$h for the hobby, then the game is going to initially do VERY well. All-Access ($150) sold out in less than 15 minutes. Most of the D&D sessions at $8 are sold out. People are excited about the game, me being one of them. Price is still lower than 1 video game that has 6 hours of story gameplay! (and yes I was crabby last week about lack of info for the release. (blame the schitzophrenia). I'm all better now. :heh:

Remove ads