Merry Gregorian Christmas!

Oh, I live in the state of Georgia, and am a member of the OCA, so our holidays are done according to Gregorian tradition…mostly (Pascha (Easter) is a movable feast, celebrated after Passover, so it’s different every year).

Christmas (Nativity) is celebrated on the Julian calendar in Russia, Georgia, Ukraine (at least, it was), and a good number of other Eastern European countries. Pretty sure many of the Non-Chalcedonian Orthodox also celebrate according to the Julian calendar.

I have American friends who are members of other local churches (GOArch, RoCOR, Antiochian), and the Russian friends (not all are Russian Federation descendents, but countries that were part of the empire) celebrate on Julian.
oh okay, so one of the smaller groups in the US comparatively speaking, to be honest every time in the past I've seen this a post like this saying "Merry Gregorian Christmas!" but just passed it off as someone attempting to score "internet points". I've kind been aware of the two different calendar systems, but not really aware that folks still use the Julian calendar.

As for me, I'm a member of The Church Of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, so we keep to Christmas being on the 25th of December.

aco175

Legend
Merry Christmas, or Happy Christmas to the people that drive on the wrong side of the road.

1703527628075.png

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Oh, I live in the state of Georgia, and am a member of the OCA, so our holidays are done according to Gregorian tradition…mostly (Pascha (Easter) is a movable feast, celebrated after Passover, so it’s different every year).
In the long run, I think that's what most people will do: nobody understands Easter date calculations outside of highly specialized calendar needs,

Remove ads