• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Meta] Does this server make me look fat?

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Actually, I'm referring to the old server. Since we're now on a speedier machine, we've doubled the number of posts per page from 20 to 40. That's going to make longer story hours seem more accessible to new readers, and it's going to reduce the number of views you get when people read the storyhour for the first time (since they only need to read half as many pages initially.) We've also increased the number of visible threads from 30 to 40, reducing the number of required bumps.

One big advantage of the new server is that it's MUCH faster to delete extra commentary. If any author wants to clean out their thread a little, email me and I'll grant you temporary permission to use delete.

So, don't be surprised if views seem to slow a little. The flip side is that a faster server means ultimately more members, more browsers, and more readers.

Droid101

First Post
Ankh-Morpork Guard said:
Its great, I love it and all...but you know, I was nearly at 10 pages. So very close. And then, boom! No more. Its a conspiracy, I tells ya. :)
Ditto!

But fine, it does seem more accessible now, so that'll help get some readers. Hopefully.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
I'll be interested to see; I have no idea what the "intimidation factor" of long threads is, but I'm sure it's an issue.

Lefferts

First Post
Maybe I'm weird, but I look for longer threads when I want to start a new story hour. I worry that the shorter ones are new and may not continue to be supported by their authors.

Of course some of the longer ones only get updated every 3 months.

Pyske

Explorer
Yeah, I look for longer ones as well, or threads with a high view count. I prefer to start threads when there's already plenty to read all at once, to really get into the story hour before I have to start waiting for updates.

Droid101

First Post
Lefferts said:
Maybe I'm weird, but I look for longer threads when I want to start a new story hour. I worry that the shorter ones are new and may not continue to be supported by their authors.
How long is longer? 50 posts? 100 posts?

Just curious. As a Story Hour writer, I'd like to know.

Droid101

First Post
Lefferts said:
I actually look at page count. posts can be deceiving, since some may be bumps
or other one liners.
Hm. My story hours are free from bumps. People comment usually once every few updates, so the story usually isn't interrupted. I have seen ones where it's really bad.

Remove ads