• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Meta] Does this server make me look fat?

Lefferts said:
I actually look at page count. posts can be deceiving, since some may be bumps
or other one liners.
Wow, that's almost evil. I barely get any comments in mine. Methinks Piratecat was just trying to monopolize on the SH forum even more so! He's out to get us

Droid101

First Post
Ankh-Morpork Guard said:
I barely get any comments in mine.
Does that frustrate you?

I don't get that many comments, and sometimes I feel like nobody cares. But I'm sure that somebody must be reading, which makes me write on!

Droid101 said:
Does that frustrate you?

I don't get that many comments, and sometimes I feel like nobody cares. But I'm sure that somebody must be reading, which makes me write on!
Sort of. I know people are at least reading somewhere because the view jump by about twenty or so after every update. Most of the comments I got were early on, and then they're spread out.

But its just something one should expect if they aren't one of the 'big' story hours. It can be hard to get into a new story, so most people just stick with what they already know. Of course, this is also a D&D board, and I'm writing a Star Wars story hour...so that's another little thing in there to slow things down for mine.

(contact)

Explorer
I wasn't going to say anything, but this new server maybe isn't your best look. I think you might want to go with the black pants. You know, the Italian ones you wore to dinner last week?

Len

Prodigal Member
(contact) said:
I wasn't going to say anything, but this new server maybe isn't your best look.
That's code for "You look fat." You fail your diplomacy check.
Now I just hope the site doesn't go into a vicious sulk for the rest of the week.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Lefferts said:
I actually look at page count. posts can be deceiving, since some may be bumps or other one liners.

Be aware that this can be misleading as well. Part of the reason my storyhour has a lot of views is because (until recently, when I removed 600 excess posts) it had umpty-bajillion pages. Even now, one person reading it might generate 30 or more page views if they read it in one sitting (hah!), while the same person reading a one page storyhour will only generate one pageview. That "artificial" inflation can add up over time.

The other advantage I have is longevity. I think only (contact) beats me on how long their SH has been around, with Nemmerle's a close second. Interesting trivia: we have a lot of forums nowadays, but the storyhour forum was the second forum ever at Eric Noah's site! He wanted to create it and make me moderator, and I resisted initially. Then he made me an admin as a joke, forgot to change it back, and inertia took care of the rest. :D

Dammit, (contact), I thought this server was slimming!

Lefferts

First Post
Piratecat said:
Be aware that this can be misleading as well. Part of the reason my storyhour has a lot of views is because (until recently, when I removed 600 excess posts) it had umpty-bajillion pages. Even now, one person reading it might generate 30 or more page views if they read it in one sitting (hah!), while the same person reading a one page storyhour will only generate one pageview. That "artificial" inflation can add up over time.

I didn't mean page views, I meant page count.

A story hour that has ten pages usually has a lot to read (especially if they go back and delete extraneous posts like you mention). It also means that the story has gotten continued support.

One other thing I will mention that I like to see in a story hour is a list of the party up front. It helps to identify (at least for me) with the characters if I know some quick info (race, class, even level) from the beginning.

Lefferts said:
A story hour that has ten pages usually has a lot to read (especially if they go back and delete extraneous posts like you mention). It also means that the story has gotten continued support.

See Piratecat?! SEE?! TEN PAGES! I was nearly there! I swear this is an anti-Star Wars move! Probably Anti-Discworld, too! Discrimination, I say! By your own admissions, you're just a joke admin! I call for a revolt!

Lefferts

First Post
Ankh-Morpork Guard said:
See Piratecat?! SEE?! TEN PAGES! I was nearly there! I swear this is an anti-Star Wars move! Probably Anti-Discworld, too! Discrimination, I say! By your own admissions, you're just a joke admin! I call for a revolt!

Actually, I have read some of your story hour even though I'm not too into the Star Wars system - and it was because of your page count. :D (This was pre-new server)

I've also read some of Piratecat's story hour, although somewhere along the line I stopped reading. Don't remember why. Might have to read through it again.

Lefferts said:
Actually, I have read some of your story hour even though I'm not too into the Star Wars system - and it was because of your page count. :D (This was pre-new server)

Well..good..and such. Thank you. Keep reading. Please. But um...don't mention that here. This is a thread for complaining! ;)

Remove ads