• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Meta magic feat

Dross Swordra

First Post
Hey guys, I am a relatively new player and was hoping that some of you guys could help critique a couple of new meta-magic feats.

Baneful Spell : Benefit : The target of a Baneful spell must make (2) saving throw rolls, keeping the lower result. A baneful spell uses up a spell slot one level higher than the spell's actual level

Improved Baneful Spell : Prereq: Baneful Spell: Benefit: The target of an Improved Baneful Spell must make (3) saving throw rolls, keeping the lowest result. An Improved Baneful spell uses up a spell slot two levels higher than the spell's actual level.

I appreciate any input you guys have.

-Dross

dristin

First Post
I like them just how they are, good job. Wasn't there a spell in 2ed that accomplished the same thing? I think it was called Thrice, and Thrice supreme, but I may be wrong.

Anyways, these feats look good to me.

Happy Trails

Brain

First Post
I think the level adjustments are too low for the benefit. I'd probably err on the side of caution and say +2 and +4, or something like that.

Dross Swordra

First Post
Brain said:
I think the level adjustments are too low for the benefit. I'd probably err on the side of caution and say +2 and +4, or something like that.

I thought about that, but in my opinion Baneful spell is about the same power level as extend spell and Improved Baneful is definitely not as powerful/useful as quicken spell. But, again, I haven't really tested this out. I suppose in the hands of a higher level caster, these feats become more potent. Maybe I should just make a spell like Spell Enhancer, or like Dristin mentioned, Thrice and Thrice Supreme (BTW these spells are from the Forgotten Realms supplement Cult of the Dragon from 2ed)

Pyrex

First Post
Baneful spell is *not* the same powerlevel as Extend.

Baneful spell is (for any spell where Save: Negates) nearly as good as Twin spell, which is +4.

Enchanters and Necromancers with Baneful and/or Improved Baneful are going to be very powerful.

And in the name of all that's holy, a (Improved) Baneful Prismatic Wall is just plain wrong... :D

dristin

First Post
Pyrex said:
Baneful spell is *not* the same powerlevel as Extend.

Baneful spell is (for any spell where Save: Negates) nearly as good as Twin spell, which is +4.

Enchanters and Necromancers with Baneful and/or Improved Baneful are going to be very powerful.

And in the name of all that's holy, a (Improved) Baneful Prismatic Wall is just plain wrong... :D

I disagree. with twin spell you are literally effecting the victim with a doubled spell. They could possibly fail both saves and be nailed for twice the damage. I think maybe a compromise would be in order, maybe call Baneful a +2 and Improved Baneful a +3. On a whole twin spell and quicken spell are clearly superior to the Baneful spell, thus you can't justify sticking a +4 modifier on this feat.

the Jester

Legend
WAAAAY undercosted at +1 and +2.

I'd say +3 and +5, myself. Think about it in terms of instant death spells. You should always rate a feat, spell or other ability by its most efficient powergamed use.

Pyrex

First Post
dristin said:
I disagree. with twin spell you are literally effecting the victim with a doubled spell. They could possibly fail both saves and be nailed for twice the damage. I think maybe a compromise would be in order, maybe call Baneful a +2 and Improved Baneful a +3. On a whole twin spell and quicken spell are clearly superior to the Baneful spell, thus you can't justify sticking a +4 modifier on this feat.

What I'm saying though is that for many spells a doubled effect is meaningless.

Baneful Dominate Person is equivalent to a Twinned Dominate Person.

Improved Baneful Dominate Person is clearly superior to a Twinned Dominate Person.

Ditto for the following spells:
Baleful Polymorph. Flesh to Stone. Other offensive Transmutation spells.
Any [Charm] or [Compulsion] spell.
Bestow Curse. Finger of Death. Many other offensive Necromancy spells.
(Greater) Scrying. Any other Divination spell that allows a save.

Still think it's fair at +1/+2?

Bront

The man with the probe
+2 minemum for the 1st feat, I think you're talking closer to +3. Compair to Highten, which simply reaises the DR by +1 per spell level increased. Is a +1 DR equal to roll 2 keep lower? A +2 probably not, a +3 maybe. Granted, Highten spell is one of the weaker metamagics, but it's the only one that is easily directly compairable.

I'd say +3, and +5 for improved, because the 3rd roll isn't likely to be quite as good as the 2 rolls, so shouldn't be a +6.

At +1, I don't think there's a spell I would memorize with a save roll that I wouldn't put Baneful on as a Wizard, at +2, I'd have to think a bit more, but still not very likely, but at +3, now you're thinking about it, which is where it should be. You should be thinking "Is this worth it?" and be able to argue either way, that's balance.

At +1, don't forget Dispel Magic cast to where your items need a save. 4th level spell gives you a significantly influenced chance to dispell extra items.

Keep in mind the math.

Code:
Normal Fail Chance	Baneful Fail Chance
	10%			19%
	20%			36%
	30%			51%
	40%			64%
	50%			75%
	60%			84%
	70%			91%
	80%			96%
	90%			99%