Metal fans, come share in the love!

Gunslinger

First Post
Korn, Disturbed, Godsmack, Mudvayne, Rammstein, Tool, Metallica, Black Sabbeth, Pantera, System of a Down, Slayer, Megadeath, Def Leppard, Anthrax, Spineshank, Arch Enemy, Sevendust, and Ra are most of my favorites.

If you are into somewhat cleaner sounding metal with awesome vocals (not shouting and growling) check out songs like "Beautiful", "Enemy", "Trust", and "Black" by Sevendust, or "Sky", "Only", "High Sensivity", and "Rectifier" by Ra. Both bands are relatively unknown (especially Ra) but they both sound amazing. Lajon Witherspoon (of Sevendust) definitely has one of the greatest voices in metal today. If you only check out one of the songs I've listed, make it "Beautiful" or "Trust" by Sevendust. I doubt you'll be dissappointed.

Last edited:

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Nyaricus said:
So, who here likes metal?

Here!

Raises fist in Triumph!

Godsmack [check]

KoRn [check]

Rammstein [check]

System of a Down [check]

Some of my favorites...

Staind
Savatage
Queensryche
Motley Crue
Metallica
Led Zeppelin
Black Sabbath

Plus, I really like this band, which isn't technically metal, but...

ApocalypticA

Cheers!

KF72

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Gunslinger said:
Korn, Disturbed, Godsmack, Mudvayne, Rammstein, Tool, Metallica, Black Sabbeth, Pantera, System of a Down, Slayer, Megadeath, Def Leppard, Anthrax, Spineshank, Arch Enemy, Sevendust, and Ra are most of my favorites.

Is Def Leppard considered Metal? If so then I vote for that too. Plus, I would think that if Def Lepp counts then so should The Cult and other hard rock bands like AC/DC, which I've never really considered to be metal.

Hmm, where does metal end and hard rock begin?

Cheers!

KF72

Gunslinger

First Post
Knightfall1972 said:
Is Def Leppard considered Metal? If so then I vote for that too. Plus, I would think that if Def Lepp counts then so should The Cult and other hard rock bands like AC/DC, which I've never really considered to be metal.

Hmm, where does metal end and hard rock begin?

Cheers!

KF72

There's an awfully blurry line between hard rock and metal. Groups like AC/DC, Def Leppard, and even G&R fall into a sort of in-between spot that isn't clearly defined by either genre.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Gunslinger said:
There's an awfully blurry line between hard rock and metal. Groups like AC/DC, Def Leppard, and even G&R fall into a sort of in-between spot that isn't clearly defined by either genre.

And that's how I see it. Metal is one step over, while hard rock is just on the edge. The bands that live in between are "on the edge", and make some of the best music in the world. Metallica started over the edge but have climbed back to be just on that jagged edge.

Def Lepp has backed off a lot, over the last while. GnR is, well, we'll see if they ever put out a new album. I think Motley Crue is the best band living on the very edge, right now. They're doing it all.

Question: Where would Van Halen be?

I definitely consider them hard rock, but I don't think they've ever come close to being metal. Aerosmith is more metal than Van Halen, IMO.

As you said, the line blurs and we reap the benefits.

Cheers!

KF72

System of A Down? Please - they suck as hard as Rage Against the Machine.

And nothing good came out of the 80s - I suggest you put you pants in park junior!

How about Queensryche, Metallica, Guns and Roses, Anthrax, TNT, Zebra, Malmsteen, Judas Priest (ok so they were a hold over from the 70s, but who's counting), Maiden, shall I go on.

If it wasn't for the 80s, metal would have died, as it was, we stuck with all the CRAP that's coming out now, If it wasn't for Mudvayne, there wouldn't be any good new metal. Something to remember, just because hair bands were big in the 80s, at least you could hear metal on the radio, don't really hear it alot anymore....

Nyaricus

First Post
Aus_Snow said:
I like some of A Perfect Circle's stuff, but I wouldn't have thought of them as metal of any kind. . . are they really? I'm not trying to be difficult (that comes naturally, hur hur) - I just don't know very much about music subcategories and where to assign them. I always get the impression that as time goes by, the classifications blur more and more.
I consider A Perfect Circle to be a part of either the Prog Rock and SLeavy Metal sub-genre. I think I've pretty much coined that term myself, but basically it comes down to a song being Slow and Heavy. Their remix of 'Pet', alled 'Counting Bodies Like SHeep to the Rhythym of the Wardrums' is a pretty good example of their SLeavy Metal style. However, they do break out into other genres quite a bit too. I think they (along with SOAD in many cases) fall into prog rock more than metal, but it's all subjective I guess.

As for classifications, they are getting mroe and mroe blurred... or perhaps there are simply so many new sub-genres nowadays along with such a larger swath of exposure that, basically, one 'can't see the forest for the trees'. IOW, there are too many bands trying out too many new thigns that we can't even hope to immediatly classify them all just yet.

Starman said:
Them's just fightin' words. I'll put Metallica, GnR, Iron Maiden, and AC/DC against any of the bands you mentioned.
I was speaking in jest (looking back my wording does seem a little confrotational, so apollogies) and sice, as I said, I am not really all that familiar with Metal that's pre-'90s, I really can't say anything to that statement. Glad to see we at least have another red-blooded metal fan on the boards though :D ;)

Gunslinger said:
If you are into somewhat cleaner sounding metal with awesome vocals (not shouting and growling) check out songs like "Beautiful", "Enemy", "Trust", and "Black" by Sevendust, or "Sky", "Only", "High Sensivity", and "Rectifier" by Ra. Both bands are relatively unknown (especially Ra) but they both sound amazing. Lajon Witherspoon (of Sevendust) definitely has one of the greatest voices in metal today. If you only check out one of the songs I've listed, make it "Beautiful" or "Trust" by Sevendust. I doubt you'll be dissappointed.
Sevendust gets a bit of airplay at Freq 107 here in Winnipeg (it's an alt. rock station), but I'll be sure and DL those songs and a couple by Ra too. If I like it, you may have just helped them pay the electricity bill :p ;) :D

Knightfall1972 said:
Aerosmith is more metal than [not important]
Aerosmith, though I've only ever heard that one song for that space movie, has never been, while either watching TV or in music discussions with friends, ever been called metal by anyone I know of. Hard Rock? Probably. Metal? Sincerely, highly doubt it.

Thunderfoot said:
System of A Down? Please - they suck as hard as Rage Against the Machine.
Hey now, I said this is a metal LOVE thread dude, no need to come in swingin' ;) That said, I saw SOAD when they came to the 'peg last September, adn they blew me right away. Awesome, awesome concert - too bad they didn't sing 'Spiders' or 'BOOM!' though :\

Thunderfoot said:
If it wasn't for Mudvayne, there wouldn't be any good new metal. Something to remember, just because hair bands were big in the 80s, at least you could hear metal on the radio, don't really hear it alot anymore....
Mudvayne is tied for my favourite metal band. Such an awesome, crazy set of guys :D My favourite song is 'World So Cold' - how about you? As for metla on the radio, I think that it's dependant on where you live. Here in Winnipeg, we have 92 City FM, which plays Old Rock, Power 97, which is a Metallica Fanboy Station (tm), and my weapon of choice, Freq 107, an indie station which has a huge variety of new and alt. rock, as well as a Saturday night show which plays for 6 or 8 hours and is pure metal, as well as a sunday-night show which is punk (runs about 4 hours, and I never listen to it as I'm not a punk fan). So here in Winnipeg I have 3 stations with a good smattering of rock and metal all over the place. I personally never haev a problem of finding somethign to listen (that is, if my 100+ hours of music on my computer faisl me :lol: ).

----

Anyways, I'm glad to see all the metal lovin' happening here :D:D

P.S. for those who have no idea what I am talking about when I say SLeavy Metal, download anything by a band named Flaw. They are the epitome of SLeavy metal, even if I don't like all their songs - they pretty much are the best example of the genre. I can give others too, if there are any requests.

Last edited:

danbuter

First Post
Oh yeah, if the lead singer sounds like he's clearing his throat and can't sing a word, the band isn't good. Maybe instrumentally it is, but if the lead singer can't sing...

John Q. Mayhem

Explorer
I love metal! Both old and new. I used to be really into Mudvayne, KoRn, and some other new bands, but within the last couple years I've been listening to Iron Maiden, older Metallica, BOC, and some other 80's (or whenever) bands. I also LOVE power metal! Sonata Arctica, Nightwish, Stratovarius, etc.

Remove ads