• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Metamagic question

NimrodvanHall

First Post
ok I was wondering what would happen if someone casted an Enervation with the folowing metamagic feats:
Split ray
Twin spell
Sudden maximise.

would the spell do, 16 negative lvls, from: 1d4 from the base spell, 1d4 from the split ray, tmes 2 from the twin spell and then maximised from the sudden maximise resulting into 2x4+2x4=16 negative lvls, provided all rays hit.
or do we get, maximised base spell +twin spell, plus split ray, for 4+2d4 dmg?
or will it be something else entirely? I ask this since i cant find any rule regarding the order where in metamagicfeats are to be aplied, except for the maximised, with empowerd ruling.

FEADIN

Explorer
Split ray strikes 2 different target no? (no book here).
I'd say, 4 lvl from the 1d4 maximized, x2 for the twin spell on 2 target for the split, so 8 and 8. :cool:

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
I'm not familiar with split and twin, but generally each metamagic feat acts on the base spell, so I'd imagine that if you had twinned maximised you would get 4+1d4 (the base spell is maximised and the twinned one isn't).

After all, twinned is a bit like double empower for spells with variables - +4 for +100% damage instead of +2 for +50% damage IIRC?

Didn't split ray halve the damage an allow it to be applied against two different targets, half each or something? If that was the case it wouldn't have much of an effect other than allowing the negative levels to be spread amongst several targets (although I'm only guessing here, obviously).

I imagine someone with books handy will chime in soon with a more succinct answer.

Cheers

NimrodvanHall

First Post
all the feats used are from complete arcane, which i dont have at home atm.

split ray does add 1 ray to a ray spell, and does not half the dmg, the psionic verstion is worded quite different.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Plane Sailing said:
I'm not familiar with split and twin, but generally each metamagic feat acts on the base spell...

This is a generalisation extrapolated from a single specific example - the interaction of Empower and Maximize. None of the other metamagic feats have such a note.

I don't see any reason that applying the Split Ray feat to an Empowered Ray of Enfeeblement should not apply the effects of the Split Ray feat to the spell, Empowered Ray of Enfeeblement...

-Hyp.

Alpha Polaris

First Post
Just kidding, anyway... Do you see a valid reason why applying the Maximize feat to an Empowered Ray of Enfeeblement should not apply the effects of Maximize feat to the spell "Empowered Ray of Enfeeblement" ? Because the Wizards seem to...

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Alpha Polaris said:
Do you see a valid reason why applying the Maximize feat to an Empowered Ray of Enfeeblement should not apply the effects of Maximize feat to the spell "Empowered Ray of Enfeeblement"?

Absolutely... the footnote in the feats. The one that's wholly absent from Split Ray.

-Hyp.

Krafen

First Post
Hypersmurf said:
This is a generalisation extrapolated from a single specific example - the interaction of Empower and Maximize. None of the other metamagic feats have such a note.

I don't see any reason that applying the Split Ray feat to an Empowered Ray of Enfeeblement should not apply the effects of the Split Ray feat to the spell, Empowered Ray of Enfeeblement...

-Hyp.
Interesting point. I had been making that generalization as well.

How would you treat persistant extended divine favor? Does it last for 24 or 48 hours?

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Krafen said:
How would you treat persistant extended divine favor? Does it last for 24 or 48 hours?

As far as I can see, a Persistent Extended Divine Favor would last 24 hours, but an Extended Persistent Divine Favor would last 48.

-Hyp.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads