• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Metamagic

dontpunkme

First Post
90 points on a failed save and 45 on a passed save. 10d6 (maximized=60) X 1.5 (empowered) = 90. Fireballs do max 1d6 per caster level to a maximum of 10d6.

moritheil

First Post
dontpunkme said:
90 points on a failed save and 45 on a passed save. 10d6 (maximized=60) X 1.5 (empowered) = 90. Fireballs do max 1d6 per caster level to a maximum of 10d6.

You don't maximize the empowered part. You roll for it.

green slime

First Post
Hypersmurf said:
Right. So it's 60, plus half of what you roll on 10d6.

-Hyp.

So thats 62.5 - 90 hp fire damage, Reflex save (DC 13 + Caster's stat mod)) for half. For an 8th level slot.

I wonder who thinks that that is a good idea?

Folly

First Post
green slime said:
So thats 62.5 - 90 hp fire damage, Reflex save (DC 13 + Caster's stat mod)) for half. For an 8th level slot.

The only times that I see maximize and empower on the same spell is when it doesn't modify the spell level. For example, a wizard I play with likes to blast of flame with a rod of empower and then use sudden maximize.

Corsair

First Post
green slime said:

The more general questions should be:

If you're going to metamagic a spell, why did you pick maximize?

If you're going to cast a spell, why are you choosing to just do straight HP damage when there are usually better options?

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
moritheil said:
You don't maximize the empowered part. You roll for it.
Note that, according to the FAQ, other metamagic feats do stack. (So a maximized twinned spell would do double max damage.) That makes the empower/maximize combo a special exception.

If you choose to use the FAQ ruling.

Jhaelen

First Post
jaelis said:
Note that, according to the FAQ, other metamagic feats do stack. (So a maximized twinned spell would do double max damage.) That makes the empower/maximize combo a special exception.
Not exactly. Just nitpicking, but empower and maximize ARE stacking: If they didn't only the maximize would apply since it would overlap the empower effect. They are just both applied to the basic effect of the spell.

moritheil

First Post
jaelis said:

If you choose to use the FAQ ruling.

Indeed, if that is how you roll. ;)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads