• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Metropolis (Slaves to the City) - Chapter Two

jkason

First Post
Phoenix said:
Ari thinks for a moment before drawing again from the hooka. "I think an operation like this will require, innovitive decisions." He pulls a large pouch from beneath his heavy robes and throws it at Ru's feet. "Take this, whatever you don't spend think as a...bonus. I know that you'll be able to deal with this situation in a formidable manner."

Ru's eyes widen slightly as he sees the coinage Ari's just put forth so casually, but he manages to otherwise control his surprise. He stows the pouch in one of the side pockets of his ever-present haversack, then rises. Ru crosses his fingers, places them over his heart, and bows, adding the customary verbal sentiment for the gesture: "My fate serves yours."

As Ru straightens, he says, "I know you hate progress reports that report no progress. You'll only hear from me when there's something worth reporting. And thank you, again, for the trust."

With that, Ru leaves Ari to his hooka and whatever other brain-damaged businessmen feel the need to sell him their children's children. In the outer chamber, he takes advantage of one of Ari's clerks, using one the man's pens and a piece of parchment to scrawl a short note to the troll who owns the Vein (and silently kicking himself for being so overwhelmed as to never ask his name):

Ari has approved measures. Preparations underway. You'll know more when I do.
-Ru Brike

As he folds and seals the missive, Ru smiles at how handy this writing thing is. A few years ago, he would have dismissed it as a waste of training time. But then, a few years ago, he didn't know Master Gis.

Ru snags the arm of one of the young wannabe thug loiterers outside Ari's place. They're all waiting for the chance to prove themselves and find an in to the organization. So long as they don't cause trouble, the guards tend to let them be (aside from the random prank. But guard duty's boring and they're free entertainment, so who can complain?). Ru presses the note into one hand and a gold crown in the other, smiling but brisk in his manner.

"You're going to the Red Lamp district. The Throbbing Vein. You get the troll in charge--no underlings, got it? Tell him Ru sent you. He gets this, you keep the coin." He grabs the kid by both arms now, lifting him up so that their noses almost touch as he adds quietly, "He doesn't, I hunt you down and take twice the coin's worth out of your hide. Capice?"

Fenris

Adventurer
Phoenix said:
Ru's stealth in entering the building is adequate, but within the room as he enters all of the children stand facing him, quiet as the grave. At the head of the pack stand Wasp, Mouse and Kuni stare at him with an unsettling gaze.

Wasp peers at Ru before asking: "And who are you?"

"Why, children, don't you even recognize your own father?" says Jovik with a smile. Time to bluff thought Jovik, if they can't remember anything, they may take to my suggestion, if not maybe I can snap them out of it and he looks around for a bucket of water.

Phoenix

First Post
hafrogman said:
"By the gods!"

Nikolai slams the shutters closed again and springs back from the window, all thoughts of weariness temporarily forgotten. He scrambles around looking for the wand he bought for self defence after he discovered his powers. Seeing it lying on the workbench bearby he snatches up the slender runed stick and grips it tightly in his hand. He breathes heavily now, wheezing and coughing slightly.

"Gee, 'look out'? Really? I NEVER WOULD HAVE GUESSED!"

[sblock] I don't know if we're in combat rounds or not yet, so Nikolai does as much of the above as possible.[/sblock]

[sblock]As soon as you see an intitative roll you'll know that combat rounds have started.
[/sblock]

Quoth hops across the floor to look at Nikoli, "There's someone outside shooting at you!" All is silent for the moment, with only the slight noise of feathers being rustled as Quoth walks around on the floor in his own little world.

Phoenix

First Post
jkason said:
Ru snags the arm of one of the young wannabe thug loiterers outside Ari's place. They're all waiting for the chance to prove themselves and find an in to the organization. So long as they don't cause trouble, the guards tend to let them be (aside from the random prank. But guard duty's boring and they're free entertainment, so who can complain?). Ru presses the note into one hand and a gold crown in the other, smiling but brisk in his manner.

"You're going to the Red Lamp district. The Throbbing Vein. You get the troll in charge--no underlings, got it? Tell him Ru sent you. He gets this, you keep the coin." He grabs the kid by both arms now, lifting him up so that their noses almost touch as he adds quietly, "He doesn't, I hunt you down and take twice the coin's worth out of your hide. Capice?"

[sblock]Spot check (DC 14) +8 - Failure[/sblock]

The kid grabs the coin and message and struts off into the city, slow enough to make sure that the others notice that he got the job and not them, but fast enough to make sure that it did not look like he was being ineffective.

Once gone the immensity of Ru's task begins to finally settle on his mind. Driving a large group of insane canaballistic dwarves from a rabbit's warren of streets, something that was definately not part of his daily tasks.

Phoenix

First Post
Fenris said:
"Why, children, don't you even recognize your own father?" says Jovik with a smile. Time to bluff thought Jovik, if they can't remember anything, they may take to my suggestion, if not maybe I can snap them out of it and he looks around for a bucket of water.

[sblock]Sense Motive check (DC 25) +16 - Failure
[/sblock]

One of the children in the back steps forward a little, speaking to the others. "I...I'm starting to remember him...it's starting!" A second of the children seems to waver out of his hypnotic state and look around as if in a daze.

Wasp looks around at his group as if passing something silently to them all, as a group (except the two children who have broken the 'spell') they all draw their short knives and step forward at Jovik. As they advance Wasp speaks:

"You have very little time, I suggest you tell us who you are and what you are doing here..."

jkason

First Post
Phoenix said:
[sblock]Spot check (DC 14) +8 - Failure[/sblock]

The kid grabs the coin and message and struts off into the city, slow enough to make sure that the others notice that he got the job and not them, but fast enough to make sure that it did not look like he was being ineffective.

Once gone the immensity of Ru's task begins to finally settle on his mind. Driving a large group of insane canaballistic dwarves from a rabbit's warren of streets, something that was definately not part of his daily tasks.

Ru draws a deep breath and tries to think. Ari's right: assaulting the Killi-kelli-hek would be suicide. If you could root them out that way, someone would have done it by now. Talking to them seems pretty useless, too; whatever negotiation skills Ru has would likely be hard to draw upon with a dwarf gnawing on his leg.

His head hurts. He's gotten himself deep enough in things beyond his reach for now. Time for a little of the familiar. Let the problem stew in the back of his mind while he makes his rounds. Check in on Ma and the pack of siblings, make sure their supplies are all in order. Swing by Master Gis' to "collect protection" for this week; he was still trying to figure out that nasty super-punch Gis showed him. Maybe while he was there, Mister Full of Sage Wisdom and Wholesome Snacks would have some useful advice. Or at least a calming tea Gods knew he needed it.

Fenris

Adventurer
Phoenix said:
[sblock]Sense Motive check (DC 25) +16 - Failure
[/sblock]

One of the children in the back steps forward a little, speaking to the others. "I...I'm starting to remember him...it's starting!" A second of the children seems to waver out of his hypnotic state and look around as if in a daze.

Wasp looks around at his group as if passing something silently to them all, as a group (except the two children who have broken the 'spell') they all draw their short knives and step forward at Jovik. As they advance Wasp speaks:

"You have very little time, I suggest you tell us who you are and what you are doing here..."

Jovik adopts that commanding tone that Gradlin used to use to cow him and the others "I said I am your father, now put down those blades before you hurt each other!"

OOC: Was there a bucket of water anywhere nearby?

Phoenix

First Post
jkason said:
His head hurts. He's gotten himself deep enough in things beyond his reach for now. Time for a little of the familiar. Let the problem stew in the back of his mind while he makes his rounds. Check in on Ma and the pack of siblings, make sure their supplies are all in order. Swing by Master Gis' to "collect protection" for this week; he was still trying to figure out that nasty super-punch Gis showed him. Maybe while he was there, Mister Full of Sage Wisdom and Wholesome Snacks would have some useful advice. Or at least a calming tea Gods knew he needed it.

The day passes slowly as Ru makes his way through the streets contemplating his position. The chore of collection in this neighbourhood is an easy one, especially so close to Ari's base of operations. After a quick stop off to see that Ma and the family is doing well, dropping off a few coins to keep them going, Ru's feet instinctively took him through the streets to Master Gis' shop.

The tattered front of a centuries old building was propped up by a stall that Master Gis had constructed to put his wares out on street level, the building itself was reserved for the kitchen area and storage mainly, as well as his living space upstairs.

Ru watched his master at work from a distance as he approached, slicing up...well, something...on a hot grill and flicking it into people's bowls nearby. His small waitress shuffled about to pour tea with elegance and grace, something that was definately out of place in a city like this.

Master Gis glanced at Ru as he approached, the look in his eyes was a bittersweet happiness. Wiping his hands on his apron, Master Gis steps into the back rooms so as not to involve his customers in Ru's conversation.

Widing back through the crowded shelves, crates and boxes, Ru gestures to a simple upturned keg for Ru to sit on. Without speaking he pours Ru a cup of hot liquid and places a small biscuit on his saucer with a delicate clacking sound.

Master Gis gestures for silence as Ru tries to talk, simply nodding to the tea and waiting for Ru to drink and relax.

Phoenix

First Post
Fenris said:
Jovik adopts that commanding tone that Gradlin used to use to cow him and the others "I said I am your father, now put down those blades before you hurt each other!"

OOC: Was there a bucket of water anywhere nearby?

[sblock]OOC: Not unless you keep buckets of water lying around for any practical purpose...
Intimidate check (DC 10) +14 - Success
[/sblock]

The children look at each other in confusion for a moment before lowering their blades, though not dropping them completely. Wasp glances back at the others before addressing Jovik once more. "You are our...father?"

jkason

First Post
Phoenix said:
Widing back through the crowded shelves, crates and boxes, Ru gestures to a simple upturned keg for Ru to sit on. Without speaking he pours Ru a cup of hot liquid and places a small biscuit on his saucer with a delicate clacking sound.

Master Gis gestures for silence as Ru tries to talk, simply nodding to the tea and waiting for Ru to drink and relax.

Ru smiles, the tension in his shoulders already easing as he takes a bite of the biscuit. He'd always been one to gulp everything down, worried about filling up while he had the chance rather than savoring the act of eating. Like so many other things in Ru's life, studying under Master Gis has changed this, as well.

Ru takes his time finishing the biscuit, sipping the tea, letting their flavor wash through him, indulging for these few minutes. When he's done, he returns the cup and saucer to the waiting Gis, then bows his head deeply in respect. Only then does he speak.

"As usual, Master Gis, you seem uncannily aware of what I need. Thank you."

Despite the newfound bubble of calm within him, Ru presses on, grimacing slightly. "I've gotten myself in trouble again. I'm sure you're not surprised. Ari's set me the task of somehow backing the Killi-kelli-hek out of the Red Lamp district. Obviously, no brute squad I could put together would take them out. And you can't just throw money at them.

"But there has to be ... I mean, they're people, right? There has to be some way to communicate with them, to win their respect or their fear or ... there has to be something that drives them beyond madness. Otherwise, they'd have done themselves in ages ago. I just don't know where to even start looking to find that out.

"I'm open to advice or contacts you might have, though I also wouldn't blame you for sending me on my way for getting myself in this mess in the first place."

Ru cracks a smile, adding "I don't suppose you have a rare, herbal cure for cannibalism hidden around here anywhere?"

Remove ads