• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Metropolis (Slaves to the City) - Chapter Two

Fenris

Adventurer
Phoenix said:
Wasp simply looks at Jovik with pity and says: "Goodbye father."

The windows shatter inwards, spraying the room with dirty glass and scattering the boys. By the time Jovik recovered from the initial shock it was a simple matter to see that the men that had broken into his home had all the exits covered...the thieves' guild.
There were at least ten of them, all with their dirtied leathers and rusty daggers and swords drawn. By themself, hell even a small group of them, Jovik could easily deal with...but ten??

[sblock] OOC: Ahh crap. Is this my version of a wave of feces? :) [/sblock]

As Jovik quickly scans the room he sees a few familiar faces, fellow alumni of Gradlin's academy. They seem ashamed to be there though and don't meet Jovik's eyes. "This ain't the Apartment's you know, we have doors" Jovik cracks since there seems to be little else he could do. He looks for the man in charge and calls out "Ah, Rashul, a pleasure to have you in my house, to what do I owe this visit?" During this quick banter Jovik looks to see where the children went and if the secret exits the children didn't know about are covered and if the secret exits the children DID know about are covered.

hafrogman

Adventurer
Nikolai sighs to himself and ponders his situation. Okay, so someone was trying to kill him. Not a totally new experience, but still fresh enough. He was up on all his debts, as far as he could recall. . . and he hadn't been any more antagonizing than usual. This of course left one reason why someone would suddenly want him dead. One thing was for sure, if he ever saw Thialon again, he was asking for a raise.

In a flash he realize that he has left the prime suspect sitting alone upstairs. Hustling up the stairs as fast as he can, he goes to retrieve the flask and it's contents.

Phoenix

First Post
jkason said:
[sblock]Is that 30 per man, or 30 total?[/sblock]

A hectic but productive day, Ru decided to end it before something new could crop up. He headed to the solitude of his own quarters to rest for what promised to be yet another crazed day tomorrow.

[sblock]30 total.[/sblock]

Ru's private quarters were not lavish by far, though many of the others that lived in the Apartments would think otherwise. His connection to Ari allowed Ru certain...luxuries, like access to firewood, reasonably fresh food, and clean water, rich commodities in this place.

Almost as soon as Ru's head hit the pillow sunlight was streaming through the window, had he slept at all? Tired already, even after hours of sleep, Ru pulled himself out of bed to face another difficult day.

Phoenix

First Post
Fenris said:
[sblock] OOC: Ahh crap. Is this my version of a wave of feces? :) [/sblock]

As Jovik quickly scans the room he sees a few familiar faces, fellow alumni of Gradlin's academy. They seem ashamed to be there though and don't meet Jovik's eyes. "This ain't the Apartment's you know, we have doors" Jovik cracks since there seems to be little else he could do. He looks for the man in charge and calls out "Ah, Rashul, a pleasure to have you in my house, to what do I owe this visit?" During this quick banter Jovik looks to see where the children went and if the secret exits the children didn't know about are covered and if the secret exits the children DID know about are covered.

None of Jovik's secret entrances were covered by the invaders, showing that they knew little but the location of his current home. The children had managed to scuttle out of the room via the secret exits they knew of before the thieves had a chance to settle themselves and give chase, giving them an easy escape.

Unfortunately even though the theives were not guarding any of Jovik's escape routes, their positions about the room forced Jovik into a difficult spot. Not one of the exits was far enough from one of the men for him to make a break for it, if he was to get out of this one he would need more than luck on his side.

"Ahhhh, if it isn't the elusive Jackal." Rashul's voice was hoarse and throaty. "You should've taken this little operation elsewhere you know, there are still quite a few of us that took your killing of Gradlen to heart, even after all these years. You've stepped on too many toes around here you know boy, time to clear matters up methinks."

The sword at Jovik's side burned with the need to leap into his hand and strike Rashul down, tasting his blood and drawing his life-force from its mortal shell. Looking about the room Jovik notices that even though some of the men looked like unwilling participants in this endevour, it seemed as though their masters would not deal with their reluctance or failure lightly.

Phoenix

First Post
hafrogman said:
Nikolai sighs to himself and ponders his situation. Okay, so someone was trying to kill him. Not a totally new experience, but still fresh enough. He was up on all his debts, as far as he could recall. . . and he hadn't been any more antagonizing than usual. This of course left one reason why someone would suddenly want him dead. One thing was for sure, if he ever saw Thialon again, he was asking for a raise.

In a flash he realize that he has left the prime suspect sitting alone upstairs. Hustling up the stairs as fast as he can, he goes to retrieve the flask and it's contents.

[sblock]Listen check (DC hidden) +19 - Failure
Assassin Listen check (DC 2) +13 - Success
[/sblock]

Running through the door and back into his laboratory, Nikolai's eyes dart across the room, deperately seeking his prize. Across the room at the far window the shutters were open once more, though the gnome could not remember doing it himself. Realization dawning on him, Nikolai turns to see a hunched figure no larger than himself quitely picking through the items on one of his desks.

Without even turning the figure rasps, "Don' evin thin' 'bout it ol' man. If yer luckie by tha' time I turn aroun' yull be lon' gone an' I'll 'ave wha' I'm lookin' fer, got tha' pictua?"

Fenris

Adventurer
Phoenix said:
None of Jovik's secret entrances were covered by the invaders, showing that they knew little but the location of his current home. The children had managed to scuttle out of the room via the secret exits they knew of before the thieves had a chance to settle themselves and give chase, giving them an easy escape.

Unfortunately even though the theives were not guarding any of Jovik's escape routes, their positions about the room forced Jovik into a difficult spot. Not one of the exits was far enough from one of the men for him to make a break for it, if he was to get out of this one he would need more than luck on his side.

"Ahhhh, if it isn't the elusive Jackal." Rashul's voice was hoarse and throaty. "You should've taken this little operation elsewhere you know, there are still quite a few of us that took your killing of Gradlen to heart, even after all these years. You've stepped on too many toes around here you know boy, time to clear matters up methinks."

The sword at Jovik's side burned with the need to leap into his hand and strike Rashul down, tasting his blood and drawing his life-force from its mortal shell. Looking about the room Jovik notices that even though some of the men looked like unwilling participants in this endevour, it seemed as though their masters would not deal with their reluctance or failure lightly.

Well at least the boys got out thought Jackal, that's good, their reflexes and instincts are intact. And they didn't squeel to the guild, which means the yellow robe guy isn't working for the guild."Alright, alright. You got the drop on me Rashul. Hey you know as well as I do that Gradlin got what he deserved, they way he treated us. Besides he wasn't guild anyway." The old members of the Gradlin gang knew how he felt about the guilds, too big a cut for too little protection. "So how much will it cost me this time, huh? I can have a hundred silver for you tomorrow. But not a farthing more. If you want me out of business, well you're too late. Some son a trilib* in a yellow robe flounced around here and mess with their minds. Now they dodn't even remember me! I as trying to get them to stay before you all broke in and scared them off. So, you should be happy now Rashul, I am out of business. So as you can tell I can only get you a hundred silver. And ten for each man here besides."

*Trilibs are small rodents that live in the alleys and sewers. They smell so bad, even alley folk won't eat them.

jkason

First Post
Phoenix said:
[sblock]30 total.[/sblock]

Ru's private quarters were not lavish by far, though many of the others that lived in the Apartments would think otherwise. His connection to Ari allowed Ru certain...luxuries, like access to firewood, reasonably fresh food, and clean water, rich commodities in this place.

Almost as soon as Ru's head hit the pillow sunlight was streaming through the window, had he slept at all? Tired already, even after hours of sleep, Ru pulled himself out of bed to face another difficult day.

Ru groaned. Why in the hells did morning always have to be so early in the day? He briefly entertained the notion of sleeping in, but as always his mental version of Master Gis started going on about discipline and focus as the key to power. Ru growled his way out of bed to quiet his peculiar conscience.

He went through his morning exercises, limbering up, practicing stances and punches and kicks. He tried to sense the ki force Master Gis kept telling him about, tried focusing it through his practice blows, but managed little more than a tingle. Well, Gis did tell him it would take a while. Still, one always hoped to have the unexpected breakthrough sooner rather than later. Maybe at next week's training session.

Morning disciplines performed, Ru washed up, dressed and geared up, setting off on the morning rounds. A broken fast (and a protection payment) at Chiang's Deli. A peach (and a protection payment) from Izzy's stand. And so it went, collecting payments and occasional extras from today's clientele until he handed off the coins to Ari's usual courier and had his lunch and afternoon free.

Nothing left to do, then. The boys would be meeting him just before dinner (food and its associated sluggishness after the hunt]. It was late enough in the day that the troll was likely up and around. So, time to see about signing on a large, intimidating translator for the job ahead.

Phoenix

First Post
Fenris said:
The old members of the Gradlin gang knew how he felt about the guilds, too big a cut for too little protection. "So how much will it cost me this time, huh? I can have a hundred silver for you tomorrow. But not a farthing more. If you want me out of business, well you're too late. Some son a trilib* in a yellow robe flounced around here and mess with their minds. Now they dodn't even remember me! I as trying to get them to stay before you all broke in and scared them off. So, you should be happy now Rashul, I am out of business. So as you can tell I can only get you a hundred silver. And ten for each man here besides."

[sblock]Diplomacy check (DC 17) +19 - Success[/sblock]

Rashul snears at Jovik and points his sword at the Jackal's throat, clearly disinterested in the offer of a bribe. A single hand drops on Rashul's shoulder from behind and one of the thieves says, 'If he's got the money now, take it. If not, then you can kill him, I'd rather the money that the blood on our hands, and so would the others."

The look on Rashul's face is one that yearns for blood, but slowly his blade lowers. "You better have that cash now Jackal, else you'd be not walking out of here alive..."

Phoenix

First Post
jkason said:
Nothing left to do, then. The boys would be meeting him just before dinner (food and its associated sluggishness after the hunt]. It was late enough in the day that the troll was likely up and around. So, time to see about signing on a large, intimidating translator for the job ahead.

The morning stroll through the city is a quiet one, especially in the neighbourhood of The Throbbing Vein. Apart from the snoring coming from alleys nearby and the occassional staggering of a dwarf on his way home from a hard night, or on his way to work from a hard morning, everything goes smoothly.

The Vein itself is closed and all is silent within, though after a few meaty thuds on the door from Ru's fist, the same dwarf from the other night opens up a viewing latch and peers out. After seeing Ru's face, several large bolts are unhooked from within and the door swings open loudly.

Within the lobby curtain has been opened up to reveal the brothel floor, though it is now empty of any customers or workers except for a large troll, two elves and a gnome. The dwarf looks at Ru and grunts, "You kin go in."

Fenris

Adventurer
Phoenix said:
[sblock]Diplomacy check (DC 17) +19 - Success[/sblock]

Rashul snears at Jovik and points his sword at the Jackal's throat, clearly disinterested in the offer of a bribe. A single hand drops on Rashul's shoulder from behind and one of the thieves says, 'If he's got the money now, take it. If not, then you can kill him, I'd rather the money that the blood on our hands, and so would the others."

The look on Rashul's face is one that yearns for blood, but slowly his blade lowers. "You better have that cash now Jackal, else you'd be not walking out of here alive..."

Jackal takes out a small purse and throws it out onto the middle of the floor. "One gold crown for each of your men" he says and shoves a larger pouch into Rashul's chest "And fifty silver nobles for you. Half now, half tomorrow. As I said I have lost my boys, I'll leave it with the bartenter, Baeval at the Vomiting Jester pub"

Remove ads