Metropolis - The Weight of the World (and Found Wanting)

Phoenix

First Post
Bront said:
Welcome back :)

and UGH! I so want to play, but I think I may be overextended :(

Maybe Taran can wreck havok with them from above ;)

That large fleshy mound of ex-PC definately could rain havok on them...from below at least anyway.

GM: So, what does Taran do?

Bront: Hmmm....I may beat, pulse, and wiggle a little...

Fenris

Adventurer
Phoenix said:
That large fleshy mound of ex-PC definately could rain havok on them...from below at least anyway.

GM: So, what does Taran do?

Bront: Hmmm....I may beat, pulse, and wiggle a little...

See Bront, I told you I got the better job!

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
I have a prelimiary background for Myna Basi, also known as Moth. Let me know if this is the kind of thing you're looking for Phoenix, as I'm very willing to edit and adapt as necessary. [sblock]Appearance: Myna Basi might have the appearance, at first glance, of being a contradiction. She is not particularly tall or short, but quite heavily-muscled for a normal woman. Her skin is a deep nut brown, but her eyes are pale gray. Her hair, though long, is as white as an old woman’s which sometimes gives people the impression she is far older than she really is. Though time in the sun has given her creases at the corners of her eyes, she is barely past her second decade.

Background: Myna was born the daughter of a falconer who often trained falcons and falconers to serve the rich of Metropolis. Though she had spent much of her life helping her aged father in taming and training bird and human alike, it was unlikely that she was going to be able to follow her own path until her father either died or gave up his business. She never really consciously wished for her father’s death, though she often dreamed of the ability to make her own choices.

Most people in Metropolis learned at least a little self-defense, but Myna far outstripped the lessons her parents gave her. She had a natural aptitude for the martial arts, and desired greatly to learn more, but her own duties prevented her from seeking formal training. She pestered her uncles and aunts, her neighbors, their neighbors, their neighbors’ neighbors, until she had gotten all she could from as far as she dared travel. She daydreamed about joining one of the roving bands of fighters that did daring deeds for bright gold, or even becoming the champion of her little corner of the city.

Her mother had died in childbirth, attempting to give her father a son, when Myna was ten. From then on the twolived on their own, the sole occupants of a rare rooftop apartment. When Myna was thirteen, her father fell to his death from their aerie. Myna had been daydreaming again, and she only noticed her father was gone when she turned. He had fallen without a sound. Saddened and heartbroken, and feeling guilty because of her secret wish, Myna burned her father’s body, gathered the remaining wealth they had accumulated, and set out without a word to anyone.

She spent the next few months traveling across Metroplis, attempting to find forgetfulness, or at least an acceptance within herself. This oftentimes resulted in rather reckless and self-destructive behavior, such as getting into fights or riling up people far more powerful or stronger than her. She gained a lot of scars, and escaped a couple bad situations. The few times when her relatives caught up with her, their sympathy fell on deaf ears, and she refused their care and concern.

She had an epiphany one quite summer’s night, as she slept in a tiny cell of a room with just a single candle for company. She watched a moth circle the candleflame, darting around it, seeming to challenge it, daring itself to see how close it would get. Eventually it got too close to the flames and burned, and she watched in fascinated horror as it flew on burning wings, spiraling to the ground and dying. Somehow she knew that the moth was herself, and she was very close to burning. From that night onward, her hair turned white.

Myna knew she could no longer simply wander and brood, for she was a young woman with a future ahead of her. She couldn’t let her sadness and guilt over her father’s death lead her into her own. Taking herself to the nearest weapons’ master, Myna presented herself for training. She told him to call her Moth. [/sblock]

Bront

The man with the probe
[sblock=Pheonix]How long is this after the events of the previous game? I could ponder creating a priest of Taran, perhaps one of the children at the end, maybe even the one Taran kept dragging around. (Forgot her name and race)[/sblock]

Phoenix

First Post
Bront said:
[sblock=Pheonix]How long is this after the events of the previous game? I could ponder creating a priest of Taran, perhaps one of the children at the end, maybe even the one Taran kept dragging around. (Forgot her name and race)[/sblock]

[sblock=Bront]The next story is supposed to occur after the events of the original, though the time frame is vague (encouraging new people to play). There will be little crossover of the stories, past perhaps the mention or introduction of a suburb used previously or an NPC. No previous knowledge should be needed (plus Taran is more Metropolis than Taran now). To give an easy answer though, it is more than 30yrs in the future, giving plenty of time for new children to be born and grow up.[/sblock]

Phoenix

First Post
Isida Kep'Tukari said:
I have a prelimiary background for Myna Basi, also known as Moth. Let me know if this is the kind of thing you're looking for Phoenix, as I'm very willing to edit and adapt as necessary. [sblock]Appearance: Myna Basi might have the appearance, at first glance, of being a contradiction. She is not particularly tall or short, but quite heavily-muscled for a normal woman. Her skin is a deep nut brown, but her eyes are pale gray. Her hair, though long, is as white as an old woman’s which sometimes gives people the impression she is far older than she really is. Though time in the sun has given her creases at the corners of her eyes, she is barely past her second decade.

Background: Myna was born the daughter of a falconer who often trained falcons and falconers to serve the rich of Metropolis. Though she had spent much of her life helping her aged father in taming and training bird and human alike, it was unlikely that she was going to be able to follow her own path until her father either died or gave up his business. She never really consciously wished for her father’s death, though she often dreamed of the ability to make her own choices.

Most people in Metropolis learned at least a little self-defense, but Myna far outstripped the lessons her parents gave her. She had a natural aptitude for the martial arts, and desired greatly to learn more, but her own duties prevented her from seeking formal training. She pestered her uncles and aunts, her neighbors, their neighbors, their neighbors’ neighbors, until she had gotten all she could from as far as she dared travel. She daydreamed about joining one of the roving bands of fighters that did daring deeds for bright gold, or even becoming the champion of her little corner of the city.

Her mother had died in childbirth, attempting to give her father a son, when Myna was ten. From then on the twolived on their own, the sole occupants of a rare rooftop apartment. When Myna was thirteen, her father fell to his death from their aerie. Myna had been daydreaming again, and she only noticed her father was gone when she turned. He had fallen without a sound. Saddened and heartbroken, and feeling guilty because of her secret wish, Myna burned her father’s body, gathered the remaining wealth they had accumulated, and set out without a word to anyone.

She spent the next few months traveling across Metroplis, attempting to find forgetfulness, or at least an acceptance within herself. This oftentimes resulted in rather reckless and self-destructive behavior, such as getting into fights or riling up people far more powerful or stronger than her. She gained a lot of scars, and escaped a couple bad situations. The few times when her relatives caught up with her, their sympathy fell on deaf ears, and she refused their care and concern.

She had an epiphany one quite summer’s night, as she slept in a tiny cell of a room with just a single candle for company. She watched a moth circle the candleflame, darting around it, seeming to challenge it, daring itself to see how close it would get. Eventually it got too close to the flames and burned, and she watched in fascinated horror as it flew on burning wings, spiraling to the ground and dying. Somehow she knew that the moth was herself, and she was very close to burning. From that night onward, her hair turned white.

Myna knew she could no longer simply wander and brood, for she was a young woman with a future ahead of her. She couldn’t let her sadness and guilt over her father’s death lead her into her own. Taking herself to the nearest weapons’ master, Myna presented herself for training. She told him to call her Moth. [/sblock]

I like it, it's written well, but it's very...easy. The premise of the story is that the character's background brings new elements into the game, looking at the background I would have to take large leaps of assumption to do this (thereby creating more of your background than you have).

Add a few more stories of the suburb you live in, goals, dreams, people you know (like your new master). I like it, but i need more info to torment...I mean...encourage you... :uhoh:

Komodo

First Post
I would definitely be interested in playing.

Do you have room for a gnome enchanter/illusionist (maybe beguiler, I'm not sure) or a half-orc knight? Let me know and I'll come up with a backstory.

Phoenix

First Post
Komodo said:
I would definitely be interested in playing.

Do you have room for a gnome enchanter/illusionist (maybe beguiler, I'm not sure) or a half-orc knight? Let me know and I'll come up with a backstory.

There is room for any character type in Metropolis, all I ask is that you read and understand the initial post and go with the flavour of the game. Read back posts of the original game as well as their RG entries if you need influence.

Komodo

First Post
Alright, then. I think I'd like to play a gnome wizard, specialized in enchantment and illusion, but the idea of an urban archeologist intrigues me, and I may follow that route instead. However, it's too late right now for me to write up any kind of backstory, so I'm going to sleep on it and give you something in the morning.

Fenris

Adventurer
Phoenix,
Have a gander at this and let me know how it looks:

[sblock]Duke Alexi Dimitrivitch

In the far northern suburbs of Metropolis lie the Hills of Burgivini. This suburb is far enough north as to be rumored to be near one of the walls of Metropolis. It is even said that on a clear day you can see the mountains north of the city. Of course no one in living memory has actually seen a clear day this far north, but still it is said. The suburb is composed of gentle rolling hills. Atop each hill is a great building. A monument to the family that owns the hill. The Hills are well known for their catacombs, the entrances to which are fiercely guarded. For in these catacombs the ruling families have their servants farm and mine. The most famus product of those catacombs however is the mushrooms. Or rather the liquor that is distilled from a particular mushroom in the catacombs, called Burgi. Burgi is a highly valued drink sold at most bars and taverns through the northern reaches of Metropolis. The familes that own the hills have build huge palaces for themselves. As they wear out they build another level on top so that the spires of these building soar hundreds of feet above the hills. The servants and worked live in the lower levels which usually lead to the catacombs, so few of those workers ever see the sky. But the privaledged rich enjoy the balconies and the view. The towers of most familes are connected to each other through ornate bridges.

It was Burgi that made the Dimitrivitch family rich. The patriarch of the family, Ivar, has the title of Tsarovich, which each head of a family carries. In Metropolis a title merely means money and power has been help for a while, enough to make people call you that. Alexi is Ivar’s third son and so carries the title of Duke rather than Grand Duke that his eldest brother carries. Alexi grew up on this lavish suburb. Attending parties, learning lessons in history and geneology. All the things that the nobility of Burgivini expect their children to learn. But Alexi was the third son and had no hope of leading the family, and in any case he had other interests. He learned his lessons well enough, how to make the Burgi, how to sell it, but always enjoyed his weapons training most. At 18 he begged his father to let him join the guard. His father initially was against this, but soon realized that here was a guard who would not be turned. So Alexi was made a captain. His men enjoyed his command as Alexi was less arrogant than his brothers and had an affable personality. The bridges that connected each palace to each other were always guarded as were the catacombs and the usually one exit on the ground. Alexi spent three years training with the guard learning the tricks of the soldiers for fighting enemies and boredom (mostly drinking and gambling, two of Alexi’s favorite past times). They guarded those gates, although there were few challenges. The occasional spy was caught or the rare peasant who tried to escape. The peasants who worked for the family belonged to the family. The best they could hope for was to show enough skill or aptitude to join the guards, the kitchen staff or the accountants and be out of the catacombs at least.

On Alexi’s 21st birthday, his mother, Mara, came and told him he was betrothed to the daughter of an up and coming family the Valiankas, who just discovered a new vein of silver in their catacombs. While Alexi knew that his betrothal was coming, as it did for all young men in the towers, he felt confined and cornered. He begged his father to not schedule the wedding for one year. And to give him leave to explore the city in that time. It wasn’t that Gema Valiankas wasn’t attractive, she was considered very beautiful and now would be rich. The marriage was a political coup for his mother to have arranged. He had danced at the many balls with Gema and was attracted to her. Of all the many possible arrangements that the rumor mills had paired him with Gema was his own favorite before her family’s newly elevated status. But Alexi felt his heart yearning to head south, for a while a least. Something there was calling him, calling his heart. He didn’t know what it was but he needed to find out. He knew his duty lay to his family and to Gema, and he knew his future was within the Hills, but Alexi’s blood burned fiercely to find the source of that call. He had helped count the revenue from the sales of Burgi, but there was time when his beard was white to count that. He was young and wanted adventure before he settled down. He would return for Gema, his family and his responsibility.

His father saw the fire in the boy’s eye and knew he would be hard pressed to make him stay. If this was Sasha, his eldest, the Grand Duke, there would be no question, he would stay. But Alexi was different, he had a level head and a strong arm and Ivar new men like that needed stimulation and challenge, be it through war, intrigue or mystery. But he warned Alexi he must conduct himself as a Burgivini Duke, that he must not embarrass the family. And he warned him that factions within the Hills wouldn’t mind delaying him and his wedding or even worse to try to embarrass the family. And of course if Alexi found new places that did not know about Burgi, well Alexi should introduce it!

So Alexi saddles his warhorse, strapped on his shield, proudly bearing the Stag of the Dimitivitches and rode forth to find what Metropolis had in store for him, why She was calling him.
[/sblock]

Remove ads