• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Microlite20 : the smallest thing in gaming

rom90125

Banned
Banned
a question about a Rogue's Sneak attack:

the rule states:
"If they successfully Sneak (usually sub+DEX, but depends on situation) up on a foe they can add their Subterfuge skill rank to the damage of their first attack".

If I understand this correctly, a rogue would roll d20 + Sub +Dex. If the Rogue rolls higher than the opponent's AC, then they could Sneak.

Is this correct?

Thanks.

bytor4232

First Post
rom90125 said:
a question about a Rogue's Sneak attack:

the rule states:
"If they successfully Sneak (usually sub+DEX, but depends on situation) up on a foe they can add their Subterfuge skill rank to the damage of their first attack".

If I understand this correctly, a rogue would roll d20 + Sub +Dex. If the Rogue rolls higher than the opponent's AC, then they could Sneak.

Is this correct?

Thanks.

I would say you need to beat their opposing spot check (Sub + Mind)

greywulf

First Post
bytor4232 said:
I would say you need to beat their opposing spot check (Sub + Mind)

Correct, bytor. If the poor mook doesn't notice them (ie, fails a Spot (sub+MIND) check), they get hit hard.

Meanwhile, work is still ongoing on the Macropedia. If y'all want a sneak peek, hope over to http://wiki.greywulf.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl/Macropedia/Microlite20Macropedia. Comments, feedback and contributions welcome :)

I'm going to add in the piccies from the Fans of Microlite20 page then redirect http://home.greywulf.net/m20 to point at the Macropedia when it's good to go.

I'll update the .rtf and post the latest version in a while (heading out now) and check all of the download links worked. I wrote that page around 2am, so no promises!

greywulf

First Post
Minor update: I've updated the .rtf so it's the latest version. Same for the Pocketmod edition of the Core Rules; thanks again, Bytor.

All of the links on the download page in the Macropedia work. Woohoo!

Oh, and there's a plain text version of the Core Rules to be found at http://wiki.greywulf.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl/Macropedia/CoreRules for those html junkies out there.

Have fun. My next game is going to be Wednesday night. I'm planning a Microlite20 Modern spy spoof. Yes, "Chicken Royale" is alive and you have been warned. The plot will involve diamonds smuggled in a frozen chicken, the West Korean ambassador (so's not to offend anyone, I'm using thinly disguised country names, ok?), a bigass anti-satellite laser and a fight in a restaurant as the climax. Lots of improvised weapons. Chopsticks at dawn, anyone?

WSmith

First Post
Cymew said:
I like this kind of suggestion, for proper old school experience. But isn't 100 XP/HD a bit much? I thougth that levelling up took 10 x your level XP. A 2 HD monster would then give you XP for 20 levels! Am I missing something?

Oops, I forgot to mention that I am using a different XP table too. Some of you might recognize this ;) :

etc.

About the gold and treasure XP, they charcaters must safely remove the spoils from the locale / threat that it came from, i.e, the dungeon, lair, etc. to a "safe location" , a town, base camp, the Keep, etc.

WSmith

First Post
Cymew said:
Now I have read, and re-read, the rules again and gotten a crazy idea...

I have T1-4 The Temple of Elemental Evil, sitting on a shelf beside me. Anyone tried to combine the goodness of M20 with true gonzo old school yet?

Any ideas on 1st ed conversions? Shouldn't be too hard, eh? Or am I struck by hubris and ignoring something important about running T1-4 with M20?

See my earlier posts. :)

I am assuming that you are refering to the original T1-4, (Not "Return to..." or some such). Judging by what I have experimented with so far, there should be no problems converting.

Armor Class = 20 - Text AC. So an AC of 4 in the module would be an AC of 16 in M20.

If a saving throw is required, I would off the top of my head say:
  • Paralyzation, Poison, Death Magic = STR + Phys
  • Petrification / Polymorph = STR + Phys
  • Rod, Staff, Wand = DEX + Knowledge
  • Breath Weapon = DEX + Phys
  • Spells = Mind + Knowledge

Last edited:

greywulf

First Post
WSmith said:
If a saving throw is required, I would off the top of my head say:

Breath Weapon = DEX + Phys

yep, spot on.

Reflex saves are usually phys+DEX
Fortitude is phys+STR
Will is just MIND, or maybe com+MIND. Whichever.

Mind you, the flexibility is there so it's entirely possible to use different saves against the same thing:

GM: "The Evil Magi chants and a fireball errupts toward you........."
Fighter: "I lean into the impact using my martial training to absorb the worst of the blast." (phys+STR)
Rogue: "I dive out of the way!" (phys+DEX)
Magi: "I counterspell with a chant" (com+MIND)

See? :)

WSmith

First Post
While you bring this up this is a perfect time to ask. As I have said before, I have not done a thing with d20 since simetime in 2002. So, I want to clarify something...

greywulf said:
Mind you, the flexibility is there so it's entirely possible to use different saves against the same thing:

GM: "The Evil Magi chants and a fireball errupts toward you........."
Fighter: "I lean into the impact using my martial training to absorb the worst of the blast." (phys+STR)
Rogue: "I dive out of the way!" (phys+DEX)
Magi: "I counterspell with a chant" (com+MIND)

See? :)

The target number for these charcaters to beat is the foe-wizard's Magical Attack bonus + 10, correct? So If he had a + 2 bonus to MIND, was 5th level, the DC for this spell would be 17, correct?

Cymew

First Post
greywulf,

All this talk about experience have made me think a bit about the experience system. In all D&D editions I know of, the experience curve have never been linear. In M20 it is. Is this intentional?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads