Microsoft Surface. Wow!

WhatGravitas

Explorer
Redrobes said:
Hang on guys - this is really old stuff !
No, the concept and the involved technology is old.
But:
1) It responds to multi-touch, unlike Wacom stuff and can read off stuff.
2) Since it is based on cameras, the surface will be much more damage resistant, than these flimsy touch-sensitive surfaces.
3) It is planned as possibly wide-spread thingy, unlike the other tables, which are almost industry-only.

hexgrid

Explorer
Ashrem Bayle said:
Imagine that is your table top. (Minus the text of course.) You double tap your miniature and his character sheet pops up beside him. Maybe you even tap the weapon/attack you intend to use.

Tap the target you wish to attack, then tap the dice to roll. All the math is done, the character sheet for the enemy is updated with the damage...etc. etc.

Maybe there is a round tracker floating around the board to help you track initiative.

Imagine when you tap the character, the spaces he can legally move to are highlighted.

Tell the board what type of spell you are casting and you drag the spell "template" around to determine which enemies get affected.

Of course, this would mean that before you can run any encounter, large amounts of data have to be entered into the system, and you become limited by what the software has been programmed to handle (no new spells or classes, for example.) It would also be very difficult to create an interface that doesn't get in the way. These issues have been the downfall of any existing rpg software I've tried.

Instead, I think it would work best if it just emulated what a real table already does- give you maps and "pieces" of terrain to move around, and leave the actual mechanics to paper and dice.

Of course, a nice middle ground could probably be found between the software doing very little and trying to do too much.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
hexgrid said:
Of course, this would mean that before you can run any encounter, large amounts of data have to be entered into the system, and you become limited by what the software has been programmed to handle (no new spells or classes, for example.) It would also be very difficult to create an interface that doesn't get in the way. These issues have been the downfall of any existing rpg software I've tried.

Instead, I think it would work best if it just emulated what a real table already does- give you maps and "pieces" of terrain to move around, and leave the actual mechanics to paper and dice.

Of course, a nice middle ground could probably be found between the software doing very little and trying to do too much.
I think a middle ground is the way to go, looking at what Fantasy Ground and Battle Ground are doing, but with the interface people could bring their own 'widgets' built in to their character sheets, just place your cell phone or PDA or IPod on the table top and there is your character sheet widget.

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
Hmmmm....

If it's based on cameras, does that mean you have to be properly dressed to use it? :D

As for me, I'm not seeing a use for this particular device in my home as it is right now. (Though I certainly see the potential for the technology down the road in other devices.)

Ranger REG

Explorer
DaveMage said:
As for me, I'm not seeing a use for this particular device in my home as it is right now. (Though I certainly see the potential for the technology down the road in other devices.)
Other than for a game table, nah. More likely for business/office purpose, replacing or retrofitting conference tables to accomodate this technology; or in studios (still photography or filmmaking). If the technology is rugged enough, it could also serve as a military strategic command application.

If it can be built on pliable or flexible material and components, you could simpy roll it up for portability. No need lugging 50-inch plasma/lcd tv to family picnic on Super Bowl Sunday.

But I'm getting way ahead of myself, aren't I?

WhatGravitas

Explorer
Hand of Evil said:
Add to this Sony's new little item, a razor-thin display that bends like paper while showing full-color video.
: http://www.circvsmaximvs.com/showthread.php?t=25342 DI is here1
For the CMless people: Yahoo! News about a bendable, paper-thin display, that can show full colour.

Heh. After years of seeing such stuff in Sci-Fi, we finally get it in real... I see so much combination with the MS Surface thing - a home with both would totally look like some Star Trek LCARS-and-PADD studio. :)

DonTadow

First Post
frog said:
And now you see the true future plans of WotC digital initiative...

:)
I see what you're saying, and hasbro is a big enough company to be developing software for this thing already. It wouldn't surprise me if WOTC said that this could play ap art in DI's far off future.

Remove ads