Midnight: A Lost Faith's Shadow. Book 1, The Awakening. Chapter 1, The Charge

Ranger Rick

First Post
OOC: I thought the orc took 9 points. That leaves me with 1.

Brian binds his wounds with a strip of his shirt. after the battle.
----------------------

Brian looks to where Valurel is pointing. "I doubt that is an orc. They are in control, they would not need to hide....Ok I will go to the barrel. I will stay in the woodline for cover." After several steps, Brian whinches from the pain of the cut and the dried blood scabs cracking under movement, he turns around trying to streach, "you coming Valurel?"

Move Silently/Hide +6

Valurel studies Brian's wound, not surprised how devastating it is as he is fully understanding of how deadly a vardatch can be. "Maybe you stay in trees with Starhl?" he says, a totally serious look on his face. "Orcs maybe smell blood," he says, inclining his head towards Brian's wound.

If Brian still insists on coming, Valurel doesn't argue further. He simply nods and heads off towards the barrel.

OOC: Move Silently +6 and Hide +6
I figured that Valurel is nervous about the Orcs smelling the blood from Brian's wound since Valurel has the "Scent" ability from his Wild Sense ability gained from the Beast heroic path. I figured he might be able to smell it and would naturally assume that the Orcs could too.

Hrothgar

First Post
Reznik and Kaela

Reznik climbs up the five feet of earth and stone from the tunnel with ease. Standing in the shadow of the barn, he quickly pulls Aislinn and Kaela from the tunnel. From the sounds on the other side of the barn, orcs are laying waste to Caft and it won't be long before the orcs rampage here as well.

Reznik...will you please help my mother? Aislinn whispers My father once told me you bear the scars of Shadow. Must my mother as well? Please, protect her from Lorne. If we are to flee Caft through the forest, my mother's home is on its outskirts up the valley. My father always said the Shadow would come, so he built far from Caft to protect me...and my mother. Aislinn pauses. I know she has food there. And Kaela's cottage is not far.

Starhl, Brian, and Valurel

Valurel leads the way through the nightime forest, all three Outlanders moving in silence. The orc calls are grating and enraging. Wisps of smoke begin to obscure vision and the smell of Caft burning fills the nostrils. Not more than twenty yards away from the barrel is when all three Outlanders spy a dark shadow emerge from the ground, pulling up two more from underneath the barrel. These are not orcs, but refugees from Caft.

Krug

Newshound
Starhl lowers his javelin. He indicates to the refugees, as well as Brian and Valuriel, to quickly join him. He constantly shifts and looks around, to ensure that there are no more orcs approaching him.

Bobitron

Explorer
Kaela crawls form the exit with relief, happy to be out of the tunnel. Running a slender hand through her hair in a futile attempt to straighten it, she stands with a bit of shock when she sees the warriors at the edge of the forest. Glancing down at Aislinn's eyes as she asks about the side trip, she looks imploringly at Reznik. "What do you think, Reznik? Can we risk it?"

Seeing a young woman emerge from beneath the barrel, Valurel feels his stomach tighten into knots. He has seen firsthand what the Shadow forces do to innocent people. He knows that Orcs and other worse things are particularly hard on women and children. It has been quite some time since he has had to worry about anyone other than himself and the thought of having others relying on him is somewhat unnerving.

Satisfied that Brian and Starhl are doing their best to help the others seek the shelter of the woods, Valurel turns his attention to the surrounding area, keeping watch to ensure that they are not surprised by Orcs or anything else.

OOC: Spot +5 (+7 against Orcs from Master Hunter: Orc ability)

Ranger Rick

First Post
Brain motions with his hand to get the peolple to come to the woods. After the 1st person arrives, he says, "I am Brian that is Starhl and Valurel, how many of you are there?"

Bobitron

Explorer
Kaela approaches the men with unease. Too many times had she seen others willing to take advantage of a situation like this. She stands behind Reznik for protection, holding AIslinn's hand tightly.

"I am Kaela, and this man is Reznik. This is Aislinn, and we are charged with her protection."

Remove ads