Midnight: A Lost Faith's Shadow. Book 1, The Awakening. Chapter 2, Flight

Hrothgar

First Post
Geoffrey pauses before he answers Starhl. Motioning the candle-bearer closer, Geoffrey leans close to Valurel in the flickering shadow-light and draws back, sucking air in through his teeth. By the White Whore! An Erunsil! This far east! The gnomes lower their crossbows slightly, but still appear tense in the darkness. The Erenlander rubs his brown beard and sends his fingers through his wet, brown hair. Shaking his head, he laughs slightly, Do you speak the language of the North, snow elf? Or do you know the language of the heartland? I am sorry, but I do not know the elvish tongue. One of the crossbow weilding gnomes lowers his crossbow and looks at the candle-bearing gnome. The Northman needs aid. Tend him. The gnome sets the candle down and pulls out several dirty bandages and a small vial. Northman, my name is Ernil. I have a poultice that may alleviate some of your discomfort. The gnome raises her eyebrows expectantly, waiting for Starhl's reply.

Geoffrey does not wait for Starhl's answer. You say you are from a destroyed village? Any chance it would be Caft? Rumors have already begun to circulate this far east that the Shadow sent the Greater Legate Theiv to search for something in Caft. Any chance you two know what that might be? It must be something greatly desired by the Shadow to destroy a productive farm this far north!

Aislinn smile is lost in the darkness, but her gentle touch is not. Reaching out and grasping Herger's massive arm, she whispers Thank you, Giant. Your nearness does give me courage. Behind, Fallax glares at the Giant but says nothing.

In the hollow oak, the ghostly, green luminescence from the small, flat stone in Kaela's hand illuminates the interior. The floor of the interior is soft and spongy, the chewed remains of the oak's heart from burrowing beetles. Above, almost twelve feet high, the ceiling narrows to a tiny cleft that might accomodate a squirrel. Nothing dangerous seems to be inside the oak. The only thing out of place is the skeleton, its one hand pointing downstream and the other curled into a cryptic symbol.

Thornir Alekeg

Albatross!
Well, I would venture a fair guess that this poor soul directs us to head downstream as does the Gnome's song, but does the position of the other hand have any meaning to you Kaela?

Lodric looks at the hand and the skeleton again for a moment, then tries to climb up to the top of the open space, feeling about the small cleft in the ceiling.

Climb +2

Krug

Newshound
"Yes it is Caft. And who knows why the Shadow acts in the way it does? They act by whim, not logic, and their aim is to destroy us all." Starhl's eyes flare, not willing to give up anything about Aislinn.

Bobitron

Explorer
Thornir Alekeg said:
Well, I would venture a fair guess that this poor soul directs us to head downstream as does the Gnome's song, but does the position of the other hand have any meaning to you Kaela?

Lodric looks at the hand and the skeleton again for a moment, then tries to climb up to the top of the open space, feeling about the small cleft in the ceiling.

Kaela simply shrugs, but the realizes that Lodric might not see the gesture in the green light of her stone. "Um, no. I don't know what it means." She stretches out her arm close to the skeleton. "Maybe he is holding something?"

When Lodric starts to climb up, she attempts to help him move up to the cleft.

ooc: Climb +0

"It is okay that you do not speak my tongue as I do not speak the language of the north," Valurel answers Geoffrey. He continues to observe the scene warily, ready for the first sign of trouble.

Hrothgar

First Post
Geoffrey eyes Valurel and Starhl pensively without speaking. Finally he nods once and turns to the gnomes. Put your weapons down. Bring them food and drink. Motioning Starhl and Valurel to rest on several benches hidden in the shadows along the stone wall, Ernil gently tends to Starhl's wounds. Applying a pungent smelling poultice to Starhl's ghastly puncture, Ernil wraps bandages around Starhl's abdomen. The poultice will take away some of the pain, and help with the healing. Gathering her supplies, she moves into a corner to help with the other gnomes around several casks and crates. She returns with smoked fish on thatched reeds and cups of water. Eat. You will need your strength.

Geoffrey confers with several of the gnomes in the corner before moving over to the Heroes and taking a chair in front of the Heroes. The orcs are still about, otherwise the gnomes above would have alerted us. Geoffrey leans back in his chair as he motions to a wooden ladder leading up to a trapdoor hidden in the shadows. Until then, we wait. But, when Bardin comes, I suggest you are more forthcoming with your story.

Kaela stablizes Lodric as he reaches into cleft above. His hand lost in darkness, disturbing images of snapping maws fills his mind. Finally slipping down to the soft floor, Lodric shakes his head to Kaela. Nothing hidden above.

Kaela eyes the skeleton's hand. Kneeling in front of the skeleton, Kaela peers into the eyes of the skull before looking down at the gnarled hand. Ready to pry the fingers apart, Fallax startles her from behind. Wait! There are messages here, if you would open your mind! Crawling on all fours up beside Kaela, Fallax runs his hand through his long white hair and smiles. Yes! A riddle for sure! Look! The symbol the hand makes. I have seen it used by orcs in Highwall - it signifies pestilence or the plague. Seeing the look on Kaela's and Lodric's face, Fallax wheezes a laugh. No. No. I think it is meant to scare off snooping orcs. Hee hee! But why? The right arm points south to the Blue Sky Traders. Hmmm. Motioning to Kaela to investigate the hand, Kaela bends low and touches the cryptic hand. Immediately a small, broken piece of wood falls to the ground from the hand. Picking up the piece of wood, Kaela notices it is hollowed out, much like the logs laying about the base of the old oak. Hee hee! Do you see now?

Valurel eats the smoked fish greedily, washing it down with the cool water. It is easily the best meal he has had in days, maybe even weeks. After finishing he looks around sheepishly, realizing that he probably looked even more like an animal than usual with the way he tore into his food. He then settles in to wait for this Bardin fellow...

Krug

Newshound
Starhl tears into the offered food, dropping crumbs everywhere, as he and Valurel devour whatever has been given them. The balm makes the barbarian wince, but he will not scream. He wonders where the others are. We need them to be here together with us. He looks out the window, trying to ascertain where they are, as well as where the wolf might be. Maybe she knows.

Bobitron

Explorer
Kaela's face calms from her initial reaction to Fallax bursting into the tree and talking about pestilence. Her eyes scrunched up and her lips pursed, she inspects the small piece of wood closely. "Well why? It is shaped like the logs outside. Should we look more closely there? You seem to have a mind for riddles and mystery rather than more practical thinking, old man." Her tone is hard, and it is obvious that she hasn't forgiven his earlier words. She sighs. "I'm sorry, Fallax. Let's get this worked out. Any thoughts, Lodric?"

ooc: Man I suck at this stuff. I have no clue.

Hrothgar

First Post
OOC: There is no window in the cellar room in the Blue Sky Traders. The Wolf was also brought in to the Blue Sky Traders by Starhl (see post on 5-14-06 by me).

Time drags by slowly for Valurel and Starhl in the semi-darkness, the cold of the room seeping through their damp clothes. In the corner, the Wolf shivers, her immediate concern maintaining as far a distance as possible from the others in the room which the gnomes and Geoffrey are happy to oblige. Geoffrey and the gnomes sit quietly, but alert and tense, occassionally whispering amongst themselves. Overhead, the soft patter of feet sound on the wooden boards that form the ceiling. At least the footsteps are not the harsh tramp of hobnailed boots.

As the silence starts to become a living thing, a ray of light breaks from above as the trap door on the ceiling opens on silent, oiled hinges. The gnomes spring to their feet, aiming their crossbows above while Geoffrey crouches in the darkness, a long-knife glinting in his hand. A harsh voice rings down. Aim those things somewhere else! I'm coming down. The gnomes step away from the ladder as the grizzled gnome from outside steps down the ladder. Dressed in green breeches, white shirt, and green vest, the gnome eyes Valurel and Starhl harshly from beetling white brows, his hands fisted on his hips. Growling, the gnome speaks. Well. Your stunt outside almost had this establishment searched by orcs. Needless to say, we all would have been impaled for your stupidity. You almost cost us the lives of these gnomes as well as any refugees trying to escape the Shadow's grip in the north! The gnome spits. Har! They dumb beasts had slaves search the river. They think you drowned. You're lucky. You get to start with a clean slate. The gnome glances at Geoffrey. My name is Bardin. I am currently the head of the Blue Sky Traders. Mind telling us your story? The one that put all our lives in danger? You obviously knew the man and woman who were outside - your willingness to risk your lives demonstrated that. If you want out help, don't hold your tongue. Well, what do you say?

OOC: I just was reading a thread here at ENWorld about riddles. He or she who designs the riddle always finds it obvious! Not so the players. Sorry.

Fallax shakes his head and snaps at Kaela. Your insight has diminished since we first met! The gnomes of the Blue Sky Traders will not want runaway slaves or refugees traipsing up to their front door for all the Blood Mothers to see! The river! The one way they can ferry slaves in and out. The skeleton tells us the way - follow the river south by hanging onto the logs. The river bends near the Blue Sky Traders as it works around the Bluffs on the eastern side. The current should carry us right into the wharves!

Remove ads