• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Midnight: A Lost Faith's Shadow. Book 1, The Awakening. Chapter 3, Baden's Bluff

Krug

Newshound
Without hesitation, Starhl lifts his sword and plunges it into the prone orc. "Now my turn," he says, not caring if the orc understands.
Bjorn's Faith: +10, 2d6+7/19-20

Valurel staggers under the impact of the vardatch and grunts in pain as the blade bites deep into his shoulder. With a feral roar, he again attacks the orc who wounded him, spittle flying from his mouth in his rage.

OOC: Claw attack +6/+6 to hit, 1d4+5 damage each

Bobitron

Explorer
Trusting her allies can defeat the immediate threat of the orcs, Kaela's eyes rise to meet the dread stare of the raven. I trust that bird not one bit, she decides. Raising her fingers, she looses another spell aimed at bringing sleep to the fell bird.

ooc: Sleep on the raven. Last thing we need is a legate's eyes on us. We need to drop these orcs and get outta here with Herger. I can use my mist spells to cover our retreat again if you like.

Hrothgar

First Post
Despite Valurel's smaller size, his launch staggers the orc back as it tries to fend off Valurel's raking claws to no effect. A great gash opens down the orc's chest, scale mail splintering with the ferocity of Valurel's attack. Crying out, the massive orc crashes to the ground dead. Nearby, Starhl thrusts with his sword, piercing the chest of the prone orc who emits a shrieking death cry before laying still. The Wolf stands above the dead orc and growls, before looking up at Starhl with satisfaction, knowing the orc is now dead. Ensin stands up, ready to move with Valurel and Starhl, holding his bloody side but still brandishing his sword.

Further up the alley, Kaela invokes the arcane magic of Aryth once again, wrapping the raven in a smothering blanket of black sleep. The raven looses its balance, sliding down the roof to land with a sickening splat in the alleyway. Bowen rushes over and clubs the raven with her small mace into a red and black smear on the cobblestones. Immediately a rush of wind speeds down the alleyway as a charnal smell rises and falls. Kaela can feel nothing but unclean in its taint, but the raven's destruction released something that may prove to be a greater foe now released.

At the alleyway that Fallax and Ibor disappeared into, Herger strains once again to break free of the enchantment binding him to no avail. Tears of frustration well in his eyes. As helpless as a babe! The mighty Northman curses those that have brought him low. However, he does not have long to dwell on revenge. From down the alleyway hobnailed boots sound all around him as a patrol of twelve orcs spills into the alleyway from Fallax's escape route. Standing tall and robed in black, the horned symbol of Izrador branded in his forhead below his bald pate, a Dorn legate steps forth from the surrounding orcs.

Blast! Ensil the dock legate! Bowen cries in dismay.

Seeing the dead raven, the legate sneers in anger as his eyes lock on Kaela and Bowen. Witches! I'll skin you both alive for this act of desecration against the Shadow!

Nearby the legate, a tall orc screams out. Secure the Northman! Capture the others! Move! Six orcs immediately charge Starhl, Valurel, and Ensin while three race towards Bowen and Kaela with raised vardatches. The remaining three set on Herger and begin to beat the Dorn into a bloody pulp as they secure his hands and feet with tight rope.

OOC: The orcs and legate arrived at the end of the their turn on a double-move. Six have started a charge at Ensin, Valurel, and Starhl. Three are charging Bowen and Kaela. The remaining two and patrol leader have begun to beat and tie up Herger. The legate is standing next to Herger right where he came out of the side alley. I need Herger to make another Will save.

Murdoch and Lodric race through Baden's Bluff with almost reckless abandon. The fight to the east seems to have drawn many of the orc patrols in the area, leaving them mostly free to run. Drawing large gulps of hot air, the pair crosses a stone bridge over a stinking miasma of stagnant water. On the other side, a rusted gate hangs on its hinges from crumbling stone supports. On the other side of the gate, twisted oak trees stand like gaunt skeletons among brown weeds. The boles of the trees gather shadows darkly in the fading light. Durlach's Grove. I know not what we may find here, Lodric. Maybe our own deaths. Maybe this is a fool's errand, but I will risk it for Aislinn. Have faith in yourself and let us brave this evil together. With that, Murdoch steps into the darkening trees and disappears amongst the shadows.

Bobitron

Explorer
Kaela shouts out unbidden, her concern for the gentle giant overidding her sense. "HERGER!"

The immediate threat of the three rapidly approaching orcs must be dealt with first, though, and Kaela grips her stone tightly, its magic hardening her skin like the bark of an ancient tree. Pointing toward the rushing orcs, she once again attempts to drop the attackers into a deep sleep.

ooc: Not sure if the barkskin thing is a free action. Cast Sleep on the orcs approaching Kaela and Bowen.

Hrothgar

First Post
OOC: OK, I'm forging ahead.

Herger tries once more to break the arcane chains that bind him, but without success. The orc captain standing above Herger, notices Herger's strain. Raising an eyebrow quizically, the orc raises his vardatch high and brings it flat side smashing down onto the side of Herger's skull with a booming laugh. Blood covers the Northman's eyes as his mind drifts into blackness...

OOC: Herger's Will save can be found here. With his +1 modifier, this gives a Will save of 10 for Herger, not enough to break Fallax's enchantment. The orc dealt 14 points of nonlethal damage, 1 more than Herger's current hit points (13) so Herger is unconscious. :(

The six orcs charging the warriors Stahrl, Valurel, and Ensin crash into the Heroes defensive line, steel shrieking against steel, bone and flesh thudding dully. Starhl's massive sword disembowels one of the charging orcs, the raging eyes of the beastly creature widening in surprise as it drops at Starhl's feet, futiley trying to pack its organs back into its belly as it dies. The other orc attacking Starhl brings its heavy vardatch down into Starhl's chest, staggering the Northman and expelling the wind from his lungs. The Wolf responds, latching onto the back of the orc with its jaws, the orc screaming in surprise.

Valurel is not one to wait for a charge. Springing forward as the orcs bear down with raised vardatches, the Ghost strikes with surgical precision, clawing the eyes and neck of a lead orc. Screaming in pain, the orc's vardatch swings wide as it tries to extricate himself from the menace that is the ghost. Another orc's vardatch glances off Valurel, causing the elf to grunt with the sudden shock of pain.

Ensin's attack against the charging orcs is feeble, the insurgent more willing to keep his guard, his one arm held tightly to his side against his smashed ribs. The tactic seems to hold out for the moment, as both attacking orcs miss the young swordsman.

OOC: Stharl downed one orc and was hit by another orc attacking him for 12 points of damage. The Wolf is attacking the orc attacking Starhl. Valurel has two orcs attacking him; one is wounded badly and one is unhurt. Valurel takes 6 points of damage from the orc's attack. Two orcs are attacking Ensin.

Kaela once again casts her spell of slumbering on the attacking orcs. Two crash to the ground, their vardatches skittering across the cobblestones. The third screams a battle roar as it seeks to trample small Kaela. Leaping in front of the orc's charge, Bowen swings her mace to smash into the orc's side. The orc's charge impeded, it brings its vardatch down on Bowen's hooded head, spraying blood. Bowen staggers back, blood running down her handsome face, her eyes wide with shock.

The air in the alley becomes stiffled and thick as the legate calls on the power of his dark lord. A flaming sword spring forth in the legate's hands and with a gentle breath of air into his palms the legate sends the sword streaking at Kaela. Ducking in the nick of time, the unholy sword scythes the air above Kaela, but turns to strike once again.

OOC: Casting Barkskin is a standard action, so I assume Kaela would try to take out the attacking orcs first. Bowen is hurt badly from the orc's attack. Currently, there is one orc attacking Bowen and Kaela with two orcs and the orc captain held in reserve guarding Herger. The legate standing near Herger is attacking Kaela with a flying, flaming sword.

Murdoch and Lodric disappear in the murky depths of the dead grove. In the warm, darkening air, the grove seems steeped in an unnatural silence that seems to deaden the sounds of the surrounding city, a city no longer visible through the intervening dead trees. Passing through a thick copse of small, dead oaks, Lodric pauses and pulls on Murdoch's cloak. Standing to the side, not more than twenty feet away, a dark, cloaked and hooded figure stands silently, unmoving. Murdoch sucks in air between his teeth as two more figures appear, one in front of Murdoch and Lodric and one opposite the first. One of the figures speaks, but in the thick air, it is hard to discern which one. The voice is monotone, but dripping with danger. Begone. This haunted grove is now ours. Stay and lose your lives.

Last edited:

maddmic

Explorer
edit
OOC:
Sorry for not posting sooner. I had just posted this while you were posting your update. Herger failed his roll that I made too, so it sucks either way. LOL I'll read the post and edit accordingly.

Bobitron

Explorer
ooc: Not good. :( Should we consider running at this point?

Struggling to keep both the astonishly fast flaming sword and her other enemies in view, Kaela calls on her connection to the land once again. Taking a short step puts her right next to her beleagured ally, ready to reinforce her. The young channeler forms a protective blanket of mystical armor around Bowen, as hard as mail.

ooc: Screw Barkskin for now. Take a 5' step to Bowen's side. I'll use Mage Armor for a +4 AC or Barkskin her if she is wearing armor. Concentration is a +9 if you need it, I'll cast defensively. I'll Mage Armor myself next turn. Man, I need some healing!

Hrothgar

First Post
OOC: Sorry, maddmic. I just saw that we posted at the same time. Rest assured, your Will save for Herger would have superseded mine, if the outcome would have been different. Hang tight - Herger is not dead, yet. :\

Remove ads