• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Midnight: A Lost Faith's Shadow. Book 1, The Awakening. Chapter 3, Baden's Bluff

Hrothgar

First Post
OOC: I am sending everyone back in the same order they arrived. I did not have any complaints about the order previously. :]

Quickly, the assemblage breaks as the insurgents see to their charges before the journey to Erethor. Elaural, Brunhild, Rowan, and their followers proceed out of the East Steeps in a westward direction to prepare for their departure and leave their resistance cells in capabable hands. The plan is to meet at midnight on the Worm Docks near the old fish salting building on the wharves.

Murdoch leads the heroes back to their safe house, taking a confusing route through back alleyways and between buildings first down the treacherous slopes of the East Steeps and then the refuse littered Worm Docks. The day is late and shadows gather in the alleyways and streets as the sun sets, casting its blood red rays over Baden's Bluff. A few lanterns are lit by sullen eyed commoners in th e darker sections of the city. Again the wind is still, waiting as if for a storm to break.

Murdoch and Lodric lead the way, stooped and bent under their ragged cloaks, poking in the refuse like beggars as they seek to throw off any suspicion from the orc patrols. Forty yards away, Bowen and Kaela follow. Ibor, Herger, Fallax, and Aislinn follow the two healers, again the unconscious Aislinn draped over Herger's arms and covered in the many rags covering the Giant. Ensin, Valurel and Starhl keep their eyes open for peril as they guard the rear.

Herger has not felt comfortable since leaving the East Steeps. A hidden menace, a shadow of hatred, lurks in his heart. The orc patrols keep their distance, not giving any significance to the insurgents disguised as beggars. Pausing in the shadows, Herger dares to risk rising to his full height. There, at the top of Baden's Bluff, in the more opulent sector of the city, above the rocky face of the East Steeps, a black shape crouches on a spire. A menacing shape of darkness and shadow, slowly stretching its massive bat-like wings as it surveys the city. A sudden coldness seizes the Giant's heart as his eyes momentarily meets the baleful, red gaze of the beast on the spire, its red luminous eyes visible even at this great distance. The gaze of the beast moves on, obviously missing that of Herger's. Stooping down once again, Herger feels the urge to move quickly and flee before the great beast looks again in their direction.

At that moment, an patrol of six orcs moves around Ensin, Valurel, and Starhl. Laughing at the disguised insurgents, the orcs appear to be amusing themselves at the expense of the Heroes, pushing and goading them into a fight. Luckily, they have not recoginized the three for what they truly are.

Ahead of Herger, Murdoch, Lodric, Kaela and Bowen continue to move, but slow down to observe what is happening to the trailing Heroes.

Herger suddenly realizes Fallax has been speaking, but in a tongue he does not recognize. Suddenly the Giant's limbs grow heavy, his speech falters, the control over his muscles fail. Herger drops to his knees, his body leaning aginst a wooden building. Herger's fear for Aislinn is realized as Ibor steps in front of him, smiling wolfishly as he lifts Aislinn from Herger's arms and steps into a side alley. Behind Herger, Fallax's rotten breath drifts into Herger's face as the old man bends close. Thank you SO much for protecting myself and Aislinn in our taxing journey, Northman. You fool! Treat me like a dog, will you? As a former scholar of Highwall, I demand respect! And I will have you bastard! Aislinn is now mine and I will control the power that has awoken inside of her. All of my research in the Northlands near Caft's ancestor ring - I know who has awoken! I know what power has taken Aislinn! If you only knew! I will rival a Night King when Aislinn's full power is revealed! As for you, dog, here is repayment for the way you have treated me! Herger's anger and rage is matched suddnely by an intense pain as Fallax buries his dagger deep into Herger's ribs. Standing up, Fallax yells toward the orcs. Please! Please! Don't hurt me, but this Northman is carrying weapons! With that, Fallax sidles into the dark side alley in pursuit of Ibor.

The Valurel, Starhl, Kaela and Lodric are stunned with shock as they see Herger collapse and Fallax whispering in Herger's ear before calling out

The orcs near Valurel and Starhl pause, looking back up the alleyway. What in the Shadow's name is going on? Seize them! the patrol leader screams as three orcs run toward Herger, their boots ringing out on the cobblestones.

Herger's rage and frustration translate into a single tear that runs down his cheek. Aislinn. They have failed her.

OOC: Valurel, Starhl, and Ensin are 120 feet from Herger. To the north, Kaela and Bowen are 120 feet from Herger and Murdoch and Lodric are 240 feet. Herger takes 8 points of damage and is currently held. The coup de grace by Fallax on Herger failed. Sorry, maddmic, the second roll was meant to be a fortitude save rather than a will save in case the first save failed, but using your second roll, it looks like you made the fortitude save. Everyone, please state your actions.

Last edited:

Thornir Alekeg

Albatross!
Betrayed! I did not trust that old man, but apparently I did not recognize how little I should trust him.

Murdoch, we must find Aislinn. Do you know where the alley Fallax fled down leads? Can we cut them off?

maddmic

Explorer
Hrothgar said:
OOC: Herger takes 8 points of damage and is currently held.

OOC:
crap.

Herger tries to move, yet it is as if his muscles are held by some unseen force. He knew Fallax was a detriment to their cause, but he didn't realize how evil, nor how powerful the man was. As he watched the cowards flee with his charge, his eyes burn a gaze into their backs. Struggling once again, he tries to move as the orcs have taken notice of him.

OOC:
If I'm not mistaken, Herger can try to save every round? If so, he'll try again. The roll for the will save is here: http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=637133 = 13 total
Also, did Herger fall, was he pushed, or did something else cause him to become prone? Just curious why he collapsed.

Hrothgar

First Post
OOC: Thanks for keeping on top of the rolls, maddmic. My next post will be for the round after Ibor and Fallax flee and that roll will represent 1 round after Herger was held. And sorry for the confusion with the Hold Person spell. The way we have played in my previous group, and I should have been more clear here or maybe not even used the description, is that when a person is held, they are basically paralyzed, not frozen, and joints can be moved, etc. by external forces. Basically, Ibor and Fallax pushed you down to your knees and leaned your shoulder against a building so they could get at Aislinn. If you want to think of Herger still frozen in place, that is fine. I won't penalize you a move action to stand up if the Hold Person spell is broken or wears off. :)

Bobitron

Explorer
ooc: Damn it! Can I cast at Fallax before he heads down the alley? Even though it doesn't seem he would share knowledge of his potential 'prize' with the orcs, Kaela would see him dead rather than free to plague them. :mad:

Kaela's eyes go wide in shock as the scholar's betrayal becomes clear. Lifting her fingers, she points at the wizened old man and releases an enchantment to drop him to the ground. All those before me, Earth and Ancestors, don't fail me now! she thinks.

ooc: If I can't cast Sleep in time, I'll probably run to Herger. I should be in range of Fallax (130'). And to think I had that artist draw that little bastard in our group portrait.

Valurel curses under his breath as the orcs move in. He is barely able to restrain himself as the orcs begin hurling insults and taunts.

A few moments later, he watches helplessly as Fallax makes an attempt to kill Herger. Somewhere deep inside Valurel was not overly surprised by the betrayal. He had never really trusted the old man, but he was fully aware that he rarely trusted anyone.

Without further thought, Valurel moves swiftly into action. Dropping into a crouch, he lashes out viciously with his claws at the nearest orc, hoping to catch the brute by surprise with the sudden move.

OOC: Attack the nearest orc. I am assuming that three of the six broke off to deal with Herger and there are still three around Valurel, Starhl and Ensin. He will attack one of those if that is the case. Otherwise, he will sprint towards Herger and attack the orcs heading that way. Claw attack +6/+6 to hit, 1d4+5 damage each.

Krug

Newshound
Starhl draws his sword. "I will take pleasure in shedding orc blood," he says, readying his weapon.

Bjorn's Faith: +10, 2d6+7/19-20, Cleaving. If the wolf is near, he will tell it to wait until they are near to attack.

Remove ads