Midnight: A Lost Faith's Shadow. Book 1, The Awakening. Chapter 3, Baden's Bluff

Krug

Newshound
Starhl stands next to Kaela. "What magis are you using? I'll just lob off the heads of the trackers with the sword," says Starhl, spitting on the ground.

Hrothgar

First Post
OOC: Most of the channel is lost in shadows, although the lights from various houses, establishments, and the intermittent street lamp glistens off the water almost ten feet below the level of the street. The depth is unknown. The water laps against the man-made stone channel and does not appear stagnant; it certainly does not contain the same smell as the previous one. The channel is almost twenty feet wide.

maddmic

Explorer
OOC:
Assuming that Herger has now caught up to the others.....

IC:
"We must move. They shadow approaches fast. If you are trying to decide which way to go, I suggest into the water as it will hopefully throw our trackers." With that, Herger moves to the edge and waits to take Aislin or any other person not strong enough to keep their head above the water should they decide to get in.

Bobitron

Explorer
Kaela nods weakly, her concentration focused on the path behind in preperation.

ooc: I'll head into the water once the spell goes off.

Hrothgar

First Post
OOC: Based on Bobitron's and maddmic's posts, I assume the Heroes are going into the channel.

Kaela focuses her will on the trackers, the two gangly creatures pausing in the near shadows of the alley. Kaela weaves a soft zephyr of comforting warmth from Aryth's magic and descends it on the hiding figures. Quickly the two drop over silently, their black orbs lidded and their bodies unmoving.

Herger lowers himself over the edge. Thinking of the Fell that inhabited the last channel, Herger grits his teeth and drops into the water with a splash. His feet quickly hit a stone bottom, the water not more than waist high on his tall frame. Footing is treacherous, the stone bottom is covered in slime and a slight current moves through the channel. Valurel helps Aislinn into Herger's outstretched arms. Without waiting, Fallax scrambles onto Herger's back while Aislinn is being transferred and drops into the water, the water as high as the old man's chest. Lodric and Valurel follow, dropping into the water and moving down the channel. Above, Starhl and the Wolf stand next to Kaela, refusing to leave the young woman alone against their pursuers. The Wolf begins to growl, but her head turns to the south. Standing at one of the bridges is a young Erenlander, an obvious look of surprise on his face at seeing the Heroes.

OOC: I assumed Starhl would stay above based on his reply. The fallen trackers are only 30 feet away. However, there is a risk that Starhl would be spotted if he moves into the alley, performs a coup de grace and retreats back to the channel. If Krug wants that, I can amend the above post.

Valurel's keen elven eyes scan the water for any sign of movement. To the south, on the far side of the channel almost twenty feet away is a large culvert, its dark opening blending in with the shadows cloaking the channel.

Valurel heads for the culvert, not really wanting to go beneath the earth again but realizing that it is probably their best hope for escape and survival. He looks back towards his companions and points towards the culvert. "This way...a tunnel ahead."

Krug

Newshound
Yes Starhl will stay with Kaela.

Starhl ducks into the alley, awaiting the pursuers. He sees what Kaela's magic does, but once they get close will strike at them with his sword.

Bjorn's Faith: +10, 2d6+7/19-20; using Cleave if possible.

Thornir Alekeg

Albatross!
Lodric follows Valurel to the tunnel. I cannot see a thing in there, and we dare not risk a light. I've heard that elven eyes are far better than those of humans. Can you see anything, Valurel?

Hrothgar

First Post
Krug said:
Yes Starhl will stay with Kaela.[/i]

OOC: Kaela was heading to the water once her spell goes off, so I assume Starhl follows rather than head into the alley.

Valurel's elven eyes pierce the darkness of the tunnel. Within, a tiny rivulet of water runs down a channel in the stone culvert, the floor littered with refuse. Pulling himself up into the culvert, Valurel helps Aislinn and Fallax scramble up from the water. Lodric and Herger quickly follow. Moving into the culvert, several rats squeek and scramble out of the way of the Heroes. The tunnel heads straight for almost thirty feet before branching. Along the culvert's length, drains and small tunnels open along the sides, each a drainage channel from private households or side streets.

A splash sounds behind the Heroes. Turning, the Heroes see both Kaela and Starhl swimming through the water, frantically trying to reach the culvert. Without warning, another form hurtles through the air and lands next to Kaela and Starhl. The young Erenlander from above. Breaking the surface of the water, the young man speaks quietly, but quickly, his hands raised. I mean you no harm, Dorn! Into the culvert, quickly! I will be whipped for this, but I know a way to safety! Tell your comrades to follow the tunnel to the right of the first junction!

Krug

Newshound
Starhl is starhled by the Ereleander, and almost took his head off with his sword. To his companions he says, "To the culvert! Quickly!" He follows the young man, knowing it's probably the best hope.

Remove ads