Midnight: A Lost Faith's Shadow. Book 1, The Awakening. Chapter 4, Pursuit

Valurel stands over the fallen Erenlander, letting his adrenaline slow and trying to hold back his animal instincts. Moments later, once again under control, he says, "I'm sorry, Kaela. The longer he was smitten with you the easier it would become for him to remember your appearance or cause a disturbance to bring the rest of this town down on us. That would be trouble we don't need. As it is, we should finish our business here quickly. Lodric should be back by now. I'm going to go find him. And this Ellard if possible. Herger and Starhl, make sure that one doesn't wake up and cry out. I'll be back soon."

He then pulls up the ragged hood of his cloak, concealing his elven features as best he can. He keeps his hands inside the sleeves of his cloak or balled into fists to hide his feral nature. That done, he sets off in the direction that Lodric went, toward the tanneries. He follows Lodric's tracks as best he can while keeping to the shadows and making himself inconspicuous.

OOC:
Move Silently +9, Hide +9, Spot +9 and Listen +10 as needed. Survival +8 to track Lodric's path.

Thornir Alekeg

Albatross!
Hrothgar said:
The Erenlander wipes his knife on his dirty, hide apron. Aye. I'm Ellard. Can't say I know anyone named Murdoch, though. Ellard looks up and scowls. What's so special about me he sent ya' from the Bluff?
Well, I'm looking for something pretty special. I heard it might have ended up down here in Elswier. My friend told me that you have a pretty good ear for things going on around here and might be able to help me find what I'm looking for.

maddmic

Explorer
Herger watches as the elf disappears into the city. He then looks down at the unconcious Erenlander. Grumbling incoherently, he looks at Starhl and Kaela.

"I know I had originally been for splitting up, but now I'm beginning to think differently. If we have not heard from Valurel, or Lodric in a bit, then I say we press into the town. Afterall, there is not supposed to be any orc presence here yet."

Bobitron

Explorer
Shaken by the violent assault on the stranger, Kaela nods in agreeance with the feral elf. "You did what you could and saved us more trouble," she mused. "No need to apologize. Be safe, my friend."

The youth turns to hear Herger's advice. "As you wish. Remember that a lack of orcs brings forth other dark desires to the fore in minds of men. We should best be on our guard. Let's give them a quarter of an hour before following."

Hrothgar

First Post
Valurel stalks through the muddy streets of Elswier, his cloak drawn tightly around him. Even the dull-witted folks of Elswier can see there is something different about this stranger with his fluid motions and hunter-like stance. Many stop what they are doing to watch the Ghost past, wondering what features are concealed under the drawn hood. Others squint and scowl at his approach, feeling his presence cannot be anything good.

Valurel's sharp eyes make out Lodric in conversation with an irritated, stubble-headed, tall Erenlander amongst lime-soaked hides. Glancing about, Valurel slinks up next to Lodric.

Ellard glowers at Lodric, but speaks with control. Aye. I keep my eye on this town. Turning in traitors to the Shadow keeps the local legate off my back. Ellard smiles fiercely, his eyes wide and somewhat feverish. The Erenlander then notices Valurel standing next to Lodric. The Erenlander frowns. So, what are ya' lookin' for in this urine-hole, anyhow?

At the other end of town, the Erenlander moans groggily in the mud at Kaela's feet. Peering around the building, the Heroes surmise the town does not seem to notice the missing Erenlander. People shamble about dazedly, but there is no sign of Lodric or Valurel.

Thornir Alekeg

Albatross!
There's actually a Legate assigned to this place? I thought the stench around here came from the tanneries and the crap flowing through the streets, but maybe I was mistaken.

I'm looking for a tool. It's said it is spirit-touched. Two men travelling together had it last I saw and I heard they might be heading here.

ooc: Sense motive (+6, +12 vs. Shadow) on Ellard. I (Thornir, not Lodric) am not getting a good feeling here: I'm concerned that Ibor may have already contacted Ellard.

As Lodric speaks to Ellard, Valurel hangs back, content to let his companion do the talking. He is mostly just happy to have found that Lodric hasn't run into any trouble...at least not yet. Ellard's comment about turning in traitors makes the hairs on the back of his neck stand on end and he growls softly from within the folds of his hood. He remains tense, ready to spring on Ellard or any other threat that presents itself.

Hrothgar

First Post
Lodric pauses, summing up the tall Erenlander. If anything, the Erenlander seems to be hiding little, although his scathing nature is more bark than bite. From the depths of his hood, Valurel scowls at the Erenlander, his low growl showing his displeasure. Ellard smiles at Lodric widely, but frowns at Valurel, his gae unable to pierce the shadowed depths of the elf's drawn hood. Ellard's eyes return to Lodric. No, no legates in Elswier. Heh. They obviously don't like the fresh country air. Ellard laughs at his own joke. You must be workin' for legates on the bluff, eh? Yeah, I might know what you're talkin' 'bout. Still, it wasn't just one man. Two men, I would say, and three other figures wearing heavy cloaks like your friend here. Ellard nods at Valurel. They also carried a smaller figure, but I couldn't see much in the dark. Didn't get a good look at 'em. They came up the River El on a large raft with horses and disembarked. One of the men came into town and traded for some jerked meat, I think. They left immediately on horseback paralleling the River El south. Ellard shrugs. Not soon after a lone orc came through town. Tracker, I'd say. Dangerous orc, by the looks of 'em. Tall. Rangy. Intelligent. Ellard shakes his head, visibly disturbed. Still, I'm more than happy to help the legates in the Bluff. Send word to 'em of my cooperation. I don't want any trouble. Ellard gives a wry smile. anything, else?

Thornir Alekeg

Albatross!
Don't worry, we won't cause you trouble. Well, as long as we don't stay anyway. Trouble seems to find us too often, but I guess if it didn't it would probably mean I'm dead and I'd rather be alive and in trouble. Thanks for the info. When I get back to the Bluff, I'll make sure to mention your help.

If Ellard says nothing else Lodric will nod to Valurel and start to make his way back to where he left the rest of the party.

Remove ads