• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Mike Mearls On the OGL

Henry

Autoexreginated
Storyteller01 said:
I wasn't looking at pathfinder. Rumors stated the paizo planned to realease a full game under the OGL, including play testing. Again, with the GSL's various clauses, I'm not sure how that will work anymore.

http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG

I'm not sure we're talking about the same "Pathfinder." That's the name of their adventure path type stuff, but they're ALSO beta-testing their RPG by that name.

cdrcjsn

First Post
xechnao said:
IMO this perspective is wrong for the health of the hobby. See what you told before about Wizards. They control D&D but what they are after fright now is quick grabs: not D&D's or the hobby's long term health.

It can be argued that the financial health of WotC as a game company is vital to the long term health of this hobby...

xechnao

First Post
cdrcjsn said:
It can be argued that the financial health of WotC as a game company is vital to the long term health of this hobby...

It is wrong. Companies invest their capital in various ways and various fields. What they are after is gaining more capital. Not the health of the hobby.

What the hobby needs is a way that it can attract and entertain its members.

Henry

Autoexreginated
xechnao said:
What the hobby needs is a way that it can attract and entertain its members.

It could then be argued, pretty strongly, that D&D is vital to the hobby, because D&D is the "Gateway Drug" for the majority of tabletop roleplayers out there.

Erik Mona

Adventurer
Wulf Ratbane said:
I would love to see Pathfinder take up this mantle but, as others have pointed out, it has backwards compatibility issues.

This is exactly what we intend to do, and while this is not the thread to discuss them I must say that I think most of the "backwards compatibility issues" are hokum. :)

The OGL has not failed. It has hardly even started.

--Erik

xechnao

First Post
Henry said:
It could then be argued, pretty strongly, that D&D is vital to the hobby, because D&D is the "Gateway Drug" for the majority of tabletop roleplayers out there.

What is this D&D gateway drug though? Wotc's management or a recognition attained of various different reasons?

Erik Mona

Adventurer
Storyteller01 said:
RUmor is that Paizo is attempting to create a backwards compatible 3.5, and if anyone could re-establish the OGL it would be them. Unfortunately, those rumors were heard before the GSL release. I haven't heard anything since.

The rumors are true! More than 20,000 gamers have already downloaded Paizo's Alpha Playtest of the Pathfinder RPG, a free PDF that includes the heart of the system along with some proposed changes. Some folks are worried that some of those changes might affect backwards compatibility, but that's what the year-long open playtest is about.

You can learn more at Paizo's Pathfinder RPG page.

--Erik Mona
Publisher
Paizo Publishing

Erik Mona

Adventurer
xechnao said:
IMO Pathfinder can only but give oxygen to the OGL for now. It can't feed it to make it grow really.

The key phrase in your statement, of course, is "for now". We'll see what the future brings. Paizo is 100% committed to open gaming.

--Erik

Remove ads