D&D 5E Mike Mearls states on Twitter hardcover adventures now annual releases

https://twitter.com/mikemearls/status/915309357612490753

"We're treating our annual adventures as a chance to give world material, much like how Tomb of Annihilation covers Chult."

So just one mega-adventure per year now instead of two, and it will also be a combination of setting material and adventure.

Will the Spring releases be more compilations of shorter adventures? Or maybe the Spring releases for the next few years will be a one-off book covering one of the other D&D worlds?

And this at least answers the question of why the Adventurer's League was saying the ToA season would last a year, since there will not be another hardcover adventure to tie into until next September.

How do people here feel about the cut back to one big adventure and what will be coming next Sept?

fuindordm

Adventurer

Li Shenron

Legend
Since I haven't bought any adventure yet, I am largely unaffected by this change.

If I ever have time to play a long campaign, I'll be just as likely to pick up the most recently published adventure, as I am to pick up Tyranny of Dragon, or anything else between.

But the fact for me is that I'd rather need one-shots or adventures as small as to be playable within 3-4 evenings, so I'm stuck with converting shorter adventures from older editions.

fjw70

Adventurer
This. It might very well be a typo, rather than an unorthodox way of announcing a release schedule change.

Sent from my VS987 using EN World mobile app

True, but if the AL people are saying the ToA season is a year long then that does support the once a year big adventures theory.

Personally I am fine with that. I just started ToA and have not played any of the other hardcovers yet (now with DDB here I probably will go back and use them). So I have a backlog to wade through. I assume that this means that they will do something else with the spring release (more older adventure updates?).

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
I dunno if I like this. Including more setting content necessarily means that there’s less adventure content. But I guess the good news is we’ll be getting more setting content. Just put it somewhere else than the Realms!

I'd be carefully about taking Twitter comments at their literal face value. Meaning often gets lost in the quick effort to reply and the desire to keep character count down.

Mearls might have meant bi-annual, or been referring to the annual Fall non-reprint adventures. I doubt he's announce a major change to their release schedule in such a way.

I sent a tweet to Mearls that was not a part of the previous conversation, so that it would not get lost and more likely answered, and I did get a quick reply:

https://twitter.com/alex_wright1313/status/917524870711390208

So he did not deny the annual adventure/setting material Fall release, as he called it in his previous tweet, but he had nothing new to say yet about the annual Spring release, other than not wanting to become predictable. So the Spring release could be any kind of adventure book: compilation of new adventures, reprints of classic adventures, alternate D&D setting adventures, or another mega-adventure. Though the last seems the least likely based on the bits of info we do have right now.

Remove ads