• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Mike Mearls states on Twitter hardcover adventures now annual releases

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
I hope the "off" product is a bit more "off" than even Curse of Strahd. I didn't mind CoS, but the Ravenloft setting is much richer than that. If they do a one-and-done for, say, Eberron, I'd really want it to be a lot more flavorful.
The setting guides from previous editions should still be good for both Ravenloft and Eberron, though. A new adventure could revive interest in the setting and maybe direct those who want to know more to the guides.

pukunui

Legend
Whatever the case, if the pattern now becomes a Realms-set adventure in the fall and a non-adventure source book named after some Realms personage and soft-set in the Realm in the spring, I'm probably done with buying any more content for 5E.
Mike saying they don't want to end up being predictable suggests to me that they want to avoid settling into a pattern.

Mercule

Adventurer
The setting guides from previous editions should still be good for both Ravenloft and Eberron, though.
So should the Realms guides from earlier editions, especially since there's a lot more of them. I'm fine if they go almost entirely generic and don't use any setting for anything. Just don't say that Ravenloft and Eberron have sufficient material from older editions until they stop making Realms stuff for 5E and the other settings have an equal amount (at least in aggregate).

A Chult book in the fall should mean an Athas book in the spring. A Thay book the next fall should mean a Khorvaire book that spring. A "Volo's Guide to Monsters" should also have a "Nystul's Guide to Lame Spells".

Uchawi

First Post
Sounds like they are cutting back on stuff that may not sell as well, and frankly I have no interest in any of the adventures to date. They are all too familiar to what I have played in the past.

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
So should the Realms guides from earlier editions, especially since there's a lot more of them.
Yes, but they haven't produced much new setting material for the Realms (as opposed to adventures) since 5E launched either. You still have to go to the older edition guides to get details on much of the world.

Just don't say that Ravenloft and Eberron have sufficient material from older editions until they stop making Realms stuff for 5E and the other settings have an equal amount (at least in aggregate).
But Ravenloft and Eberron, out of all the possible settings, are the ones which least need new books. Ravenloft/Domains of Dread is locked in its own demiplane of stasis, and Eberron was deliberately created not to be updated. Anything new they wanted to say about those settings should be able to be included in an adventure.

How about: A combination Outer Planes setting book/Great Modron March adventure? The book could follow the March around the Outer Planes, giving a short (say five to seven page) adventure set in each plane due to the March (advancing in level as the March proceeds around), while dedicating another five to seven pages to an overview of each plane (with interesting locales). Add in ten pages or so for Sigil, and say 20 pages for monster updates, and that would pretty much fill up a full 256-page book.

It wouldn't quite be a full adventure, and it wouldn't quite be a full setting source book, but it would be a good combination of both and would appeal to a wider audience.

Last edited:

Parmandur

Book-Friend
How about: A combination Outer Planes setting book/Great Modron March adventure? The book could follow the March around the Outer Planes, giving a short (say five to seven page) adventure set in each plane due to the March (advancing in level as the March proceeds around), while dedicating another five to seven pages to an overview of each plane (with interesting locales). Add in ten pages or so for Sigil, and say 20 pages for monster updates, and that would pretty much fill up a full 256-page book.

It wouldn't quite be a full adventure, and it wouldn't quite be a full setting source book, but it would be a good combination of both and would appeal to a wider audience.
That would fit the new stated paradigm of having setting material be in APs: Planar gazeeters like the Chult chapter in ToA, or the Sword Coast chapter in SKT? Sounds pretty good, and the Modron March just keeps getting brought up.

CapnZapp

Legend
So should the Realms guides from earlier editions, especially since there's a lot more of them. I'm fine if they go almost entirely generic and don't use any setting for anything. Just don't say that Ravenloft and Eberron have sufficient material from older editions until they stop making Realms stuff for 5E and the other settings have an equal amount (at least in aggregate).

A Chult book in the fall should mean an Athas book in the spring. A Thay book the next fall should mean a Khorvaire book that spring. A "Volo's Guide to Monsters" should also have a "Nystul's Guide to Lame Spells".
They clearly want to move away from having separate campaign worlds.

In order to help future films and other lucrative franchises, they want there to be one "world of D&D", which is a kitchen-sinkified version of the Realms with everything popular from the other settings thrown in.

Sent from my C6603 using EN World mobile app

CapnZapp

Legend
Yes, but they haven't produced much new setting material for the Realms (as opposed to adventures) since 5E launched either. You still have to go to the older edition guides to get details on much of the world.
I don't think that's true.

SKT for instance holds a treasure trove of various story and scenario nuggets for the Dessarin Valley area, much of it respecting and being inspired by previous edition lore.

(All you need to do is ignore the silly and stupid overarching plot)

Sent from my C6603 using EN World mobile app

Remove ads