• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Mike Mearls states on Twitter hardcover adventures now annual releases

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I sent a tweet to Mearls that was not a part of the previous conversation, so that it would not get lost and more likely answered, and I did get a quick reply:

https://twitter.com/alex_wright1313/status/917524870711390208

So he did not deny the annual adventure/setting material Fall release, as he called it in his previous tweet, but he had nothing new to say yet about the annual Spring release, other than not wanting to become predictable. So the Spring release could be any kind of adventure book: compilation of new adventures, reprints of classic adventures, alternate D&D setting adventures, or another mega-adventure. Though the last seems the least likely based on the bits of info we do have right now.
I think some more reprints are the most likely.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
It took my party 357 days to get through storm kings thunder. I'm ok with this.
Yeah, in the run-up to Tales from the Yawning Portal, they made it pretty clear that people were not "keeping up" with the pace of AP releases: one storyline a year is probably the new normal, but still three books.

ccs

41st lv DM
How do people here feel about the cut back to one big adventure and what will be coming next Sept?

(Shrugs) Same as always. When they put something out I'll take a look at it. If I like it/have a use for it I'll buy it. If not I'll wait for the next release.
So it's already worked out that I've bought about 1 adventure from them per year. (Abyss, Strahd, Yawning Portal, & now Tomb.)

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
Pure speculation: possibly there's going to be one Realms adventure per year (with accompanying world info) and one non-Realms adventure, a la Curse of Strahd?

darjr

I crit!
There are clues everywhere. Think “not predictable”, but yet clues have been laid down. Some of them, I’ll bet, will seem obvious in hindsight.

He did say in another interview that they were wary of competing too much with past products, including adventures. It's not impossible that they're changing things up. And I suppose in retrospect the spring release is the farthest book away from both the other releases, making it the easiest adventure to rework.

So it's not impossible they're doing something else.
I do wonder what the Adventurer's League is going to do in response...

Mercule

Adventurer
Pure speculation: possibly there's going to be one Realms adventure per year (with accompanying world info) and one non-Realms adventure, a la Curse of Strahd?
I hope the "off" product is a bit more "off" than even Curse of Strahd. I didn't mind CoS, but the Ravenloft setting is much richer than that. If they do a one-and-done for, say, Eberron, I'd really want it to be a lot more flavorful. On the other hand, that would probably reduce the market potential.

Whatever the case, if the pattern now becomes a Realms-set adventure in the fall and a non-adventure source book named after some Realms personage and soft-set in the Realm in the spring, I'm probably done with buying any more content for 5E.

On the other hand, if this is a move to keep some baseline of support/availability for the Realms (and AL) while allowing WotC to try some products that are completely unrelated to the Realms, they have a near-guaranteed sale to me every spring.

I do wonder what the Adventurer's League is going to do in response...

Considering AL has already said the ToA-connected season is going to be about a year long, that tells me they are going to ignore whatever releases in the Spring. Sure, if it is an adventure, or set of adventures, I am sure it will be AL-legal like all previous releases, but there will likely not be any extra adventures that tie directly into it.

Remove ads