Min/max'ing Rogues!

Darklone

Particle_Man said:
You could also do Rogue 3/ Swashbuckler X with a feat from Complete Soundrel that lets you count Swashbuckler levels for the purpose of sneak attack.

BAB 19 (that is 4 primary iterative attacks right there!) and Sneak Attack 10d6+int damage, and I think there is an alt feature for Swashbuckler that lets you take advantage of AC while using 2 weapons.
Wow, I didn't mention Daring Outlaw or Daring Warrior yet? Unbelievable.

That alternate Swashy feature is kinda lame... It gives a shield bonus instead of the dodge bonus and it's by one higher. Get Imp Buckler Defense.

SadisticFishing

First Post
Yeah, Daring Outlaw and Ascetic Monks are both things I've done already :p They're kinda cool, but for Outlaw losing hide/move silently as class skills isn't good.

Vysirez

First Post
SadisticFishing said:
Yeah, Daring Outlaw and Ascetic Monks are both things I've done already :p They're kinda cool, but for Outlaw losing hide/move silently as class skills isn't good.

Play a human with able learner.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Darklone said:
I still don't get it.

Hey don't blame us. Alexandre Dumas (a French writer) wrote the Three Musketeers (which takes place in France), and he is the one that wrote them to be sneaky guys who just happen to wear outfits that are not conducive to sneaking whatsoever.

That's it. That is the entire joke. It's not an Americanism. It's just making fun of how the Three Musketeers were supposed to be both stealthy and outrageously dressed like peacocks while undertaking such stealth.

Particle_Man

Explorer
I believe the idea is that, in the stories of The Three Musketeers (set in France), style matters and fashion matters. Thus, lurking in the shadows while dressed in black would be more effective, but you would be unfashionable and nonstylish to do so, therefore it would not even be considered by a musketeer to be appropriate to lurk in the shadows unless one was dressed in the fashionable clothing of the day. If you like, it would be a convention of the stories, just as *no one* recognizing that Clark Kent looks like Superman in glasses is a convention of comic books.

The joke then comes from the woman observing this realizing that it is ineffective to lurk in the shadows while dressed that way. In a way, she is giving the modern view that style and fashion must be trumped by efficiency. The incongruity between the two experessed viewpoints, modern and Musketeer, generates humour in some observers of the comic strip in question.

Remove ads