• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Mini Question...Transporting without damage

Lady Starhawk

First Post
I was wondering how people get their minatures to the games without damage?

I have seen boxes you could buy for $10-30+, but I don't have that kind of cash right now. I was wondering what people use.

I spend hours painting each mini and have had several chip in transit to games. :( I know there's got to be a better way.

I don't need anything huge. I don't play wargemes, just D&D mostly. The most I need to transport would be 25, and usually under 10.

Any help would be appreciated as I am at a loss to know how to preserve, yet use my minis.

Thanks,
Lady Starhawk :)

Crothian

First Post
Tackle box. You can get them cheap at second hand stores or garage sells. Then pack the minatures with foam, insolation, foam peanuts, I've seen all sorts of things.

I used to use one of those dice boxes (from a Chessex dice purchase). Wrap the mini in something protective (little piece of bubble wrap or foam), and place it inside the dice box. That kept it safe until I bought one of the little gray boxes (which seems kind of silly to cart around just one mini).

Tewligan

First Post
I've seen people use gun carrying cases. They have that eggshell foam lining inside, and everyone I know who uses them swears by them. I don't know how much they cost, but a rifle case can carry a LOT of figures.
Personally, I just use cardboard boxes that have eggshell foam inside. I used to work as a computer config tech, and Compaq packs a lot of their hardware in these lined boxes - the best ones are just a couple of inches deep, and about the size of a keyboard. I imagine that any local computer stores that build systems go through more of these in a couple of days than you could ever possibly need, and would probably be delighted to give you their garbage.

Last edited:

Don21584

First Post
I put them in a small dice bag. Which hasn't been very protective. I have a druid who has a staff with a skull that has antlers on it. Well, the antlers came off :(

Fade

First Post
Individually wrap the minis is those little foam inserts that often come in blister packs, then put them in the compartments of a fishing tackle box. Box is a few dollars, foam should be free with the minis.

The Oracle

First Post
You need to varhish or shellac your minis, that will protect them some and also add some shadows and give them a slight antiqued look. You can get a can of it from WalMart real cheap. Test it on your least favorite mini to make sure you like the result.

Qui-gon-Chili

First Post
I personally use a handgun case. It is made out of high impact plastic, is larger than the GW case, has the eggshell foam and another flat piece underneath to give you two layers to store with, and holds somewhere in the neighborhood of 50 mini's depending on the size. I use the bottom section for my larger minis as you can cut spaces out of the foam to better fit them. All in all I would say this is definitely the way to go as it costs around 10 bucks. The only thing better is the Army Transport system.

SJGiant

First Post
Ring Boxes

We have about 10 or so Ring Boxes. A local jeweler we knew gave them to the group. They are about 2 feet long and maybe a foot wide. Not quite sure how many mini's but quite a few. The little slot in the foam is great for putting the bases into and haven't had any chips in about 10+ years of use. Hope that helps you out.

J~

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads