• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Mission: Stealthy Confiscation

Xael

First Post
Okay, I'm going to start a game that is going to be something like MGS/James Bond/Whatever. The characters would form a team that is send to missions by three leaders of an organisation that does these missions to (almost) anybody who pays enough. The game will be in Forgotten Realms, which is the only world that I know even vaguely.

The problem is that I suck as a GM, and I've almost neved done it.

The game would be linear in the case that players get the missions from their bosses. Though the players can "solve" them as they please. Missions will probably always take place in some large manor/castle/dungeon, because I like designing them (and it limits the character's play area).

The characters would be new recruits that want to join the organisation. Missions would be more stealth than combat -based (what kind of "thief" will just go and whack all the guards down when you can get what you want in style?). The game is still in development though.

Rules:

Character creation:

32 point point-buy.
Start at level 8.
Alingment should be something Neutral, I don't know if I can handle evil characters. You will be mostly "borrowing" from not-so-lawful-good-people, so you have an excuse.
Hit points calculated by max at first, then three-thirds later.

House rules:
Skill Focus is +3
Ambidexterity and Two-Weapon Fighting are now 1 feat.
No multiclass penalties (=no favored classes), except for monks who can use the FRCS monk orders.

I need 3 characters, as Dalamar has already "volunteered" to play.
When you're in, post ONLY YOUR CHARACTER CONSEPT here, no skills, feats or the like. For example: John Doe, Human Rogue. You can tell something about your character, that can be seen, or that he is babbling about the whole time ("I'm the BEST lock bybasser in this side of...") Email the character to me, BUT not before I have declared you to be in the game here.
I will do most of the rolling, including attack rolls and the like for storytelling reasons (I trust you, really).

I own:
The PHB, DMG, MM, Monsters of Faerun, Magic of Faerun, FRCS, Tome and Blood, Sword and Fist, Defenders of the Faith, Song and Silence, Stronghold Builder's Guidebook (I will use this a lot), Masters of the Wild.

If you want to use something outside these books, ask me.

Everything can be changed, if the players so want (or I decide to).

My email: Xael_Xorlarrin@hotmail.com

Last edited:

Timothy

First Post
Pssst, Xael..

I will let you in on the one great secret all DM's have...

Get ready?

Here it is!

All DM's suck, a good DM just knows how to hide it. So don't let them know you suck. You are the DM, the greatest of them all. All-knowing, All-seeing and All-mighty.

Oh, and I'm in!

Xael

First Post
Timothy said:

All DM's suck, a good DM just knows how to hide it. So don't let them know you suck. You are the DM, the greatest of them all. All-knowing, All-seeing and All-mighty.

But if I tell them that I suck, they don't expect anything good and can be positively surprised. I'm just eliminating the possibility of disappointment. :D

Xael

First Post
The group should have at least one rogue that can search/disable traps and/or open locks.
Dalamar has made a monk.

Timothy

First Post
Character Concept. (my favorite char, allready used on the boards, but that campaign has not yet begun and doesn't showe signgs that it will soon.)

Timothy Backs: Human Aristocrat 1/Rogue 7
A real charmer, James Bond is just his style (that, and building giant sized trading empires :D) I'm not sure about the aristocrat class at first, because it is pretty weak, and maybe I'll go with a PrC instead. Am I in?

Timothy

First Post
Xael said:

But if I tell them that I suck, they don't expect anything good and can be positively surprised. I'm just eliminating the possibility of disappointment. :D

Aha, so you're working reversed psychology on them!

Great job!

My character will know how to disable traps and the like,but that isn't his style. (Ever seen james bond on his knees in the dirt, searching for trip-wires? don't think so.)

Xael

First Post
Timothy said:
Character Concept. (my favorite char, allready used on the boards, but that campaign has not yet begun and doesn't showe signgs that it will soon.)

Timothy Backs: Human Aristocrat 1/Rogue 7
A real charmer, James Bond is just his style (that, and building giant sized trading empires :D) I'm not sure about the aristocrat class at first, because it is pretty weak, and maybe I'll go with a PrC instead. Am I in?

Sounds nice, though he _might_ not get to use his "Charm" on every mission. I'll try to design the missions to fit the PC's skill though.

You're in.

Xael

First Post
Timothy said:
My character will know how to disable traps and the like,but that isn't his style. (Ever seen james bond on his knees in the dirt, searching for trip-wires? don't think so.)

But I can see James Bond disabling the giant ATOM BOMB that is going to blow the whole nation to the sky.
:D

Oh, and this is _SUPPOSED_ to be a serious game.

Last edited:

Xael

First Post
Hmp, I tend to forget to mention things.

The characters can also be non-PHB/FRCS races, as the organisation is quite... ...not-normal.

Remove ads