• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Mobile Monk - should I take any levels of Rogue?

nswanson27

First Post
So I have a high level character that has 6 levels of shadow monk and 5 levels of assassin with the mobility feat. He's a blast. I'm thinking I'll start taking more levels in monk to get more ki points (stunning is awesome), but it really is nice to have a d6 or two (or three) of sneak attack dice to keep up the damage with everyone else. It synergies with shadow step very well, both mechanically and thematically. One thing to not overlook when taking rogue is that you get expertise in a skill. I took perception. Also, cunning action is huge to dart in and out if you don't have shadows to play with.

Last edited:

bsctgod

Villager
I've got a shadow monk who is 14th level now and his whole career, I have thought about dabbling in rogue levels for the extra damage, but I've come to accept the fact that monks weren't meant to do as much damage as the main fighter types. Would I rather occasionally do an extra D6 damage or be proficient in all saving throws with the ability to reroll them? Really a no-brainer in my opinion.

The mobility feat is wonderful on a monk.

G

Guest 6801328

With Shadow Monk I would mix in some Rogue (1, 3, and 5 levels all have good arguments in their favor) because a) it's flavorful as heck, and b) with all that Bamfing around you're going to get Advantage (and thus Sneak Attack) quite often.

With Open Hand I would go straight Monk all the way.

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
Thanks all for the responses.
I'm going to be taking a spear as my monk weapon.
After reading the responses, I have been persuaded to go mono-monk; and go with Drunken Master. I haven't decided yet on Mobile or +2 abilities.

sulimo0310

Explorer
Thanks all for the responses.
I'm going to be taking a spear as my monk weapon.
After reading the responses, I have been persuaded to go mono-monk; and go with Drunken Master. I haven't decided yet on Mobile or +2 abilities.
While mobile is great on any Monk, if you are going Drunken Master I would suggest the +2 instead. The Drunken Master 3rd level ability basically gives you the benefits of the mobile feat whenever you flurry. So while it's technically not as good as always on mobile, you will be able to flurry most rounds you need it, and have that extra ability score gain above most other 4th level monks.

Sent from my [device_name] using EN World mobile app

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads