Moderator Concern

JamesonCourage

Adventurer
I'm not sure where I should post this, but Meta seems the most appropriate. I do want to be clear, though: I am not complaining about posts being moderated. I've had issues only a couple of times in the past 20 months, and both times I've taken it to private messages.

My issue, though, is that some comments by the moderators either seem uncalled for (name calling, ascribing motives), or unnecessarily dismissive. This is especially concerning to me when the text is red or orange.

My concern is, frankly, the inability to engage mods when this type of post is used. Though I can PM a moderator, it seemingly didn't help; I say this because after the post involving me, there's still the same mod calling people out in ways I think are inappropriate (name calling).

Now, I'm usually a big fan of Umbran's moderation techniques. He's probably my favorite when it comes to moderating people; I like how proactive he is. And, I'll say this again (because I've said it before), I love the level of moderation and civility on this site. My issue is that when a mod is calling people names or ascribing motives in colored text, there's nothing you can publicly do about it. I get the reason why that is, and I've respected that policy (and won't go into more detail because of that policy).

However, is there any reason to frame acts of moderation in these ways? There's plenty of moderation posts I can link here that I'd label as a "good" way to moderate. And, even when a moderator isn't using colored text, it's hard to engage with a post from a mod when he just dismisses what you have to say ("Cool story, bro"), and that's not an encouraging feeling when I'm looking at new moderators.

Again, this is just a concern that's popped up recently. I know things are stressed recently. I know people are new to being moderators, and I know that they're still posters like the rest of us when they aren't using red or orange. And, I also still love this site's dedication to civility and moderation. I'm thankful for the work that you guys (and gals) do, free of charge, for my benefit. I appreciate it.

At any rate, if this isn't appropriate in this forum, I apologize. Thanks for taking the time to look at this, if nothing else. I honestly appreciate it. As always, play what you like :)

Last edited:

Holy Bovine

First Post
You really should PM the mods in question (or Piratecat as he seems to be the 'head' moderate here) if you have concerns about moderating. Calling them out in public is a major no-no and always has been.

JamesonCourage

Adventurer
You really should PM the mods in question (or Piratecat as he seems to be the 'head' moderate here) if you have concerns about moderating. Calling them out in public is a major no-no and always has been.
I wasn't trying to call them out, really, when it comes to actually moderating. And I have PMed one of them. I might throw another PM to Piratecat, since he was the first mod I PMed when I had my first issue, and he was very understanding.

But, yeah, I am kinda worried that I shouldn't have posted this here. The reason I posted this here was because of this thread where moderation practices were being discussed in Meta, and Morrus himself said "this belongs in Meta" in this post. I know it's still iffy, but this was my only way to address the mods in general, rather than PMing them individually. And, also, I've tried to be as reasonable and polite as possible.

If there is an issue with the post, I'll edit it out. As soon as someone lets me know, I have no problem doing that. Thanks for the suggestion about PMing Piratecat; I think I'll do so. As always, play what you like :)

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
It is okay to discuss moderation, in a general sense. We will not, however, discuss specific cases in public. So, those references you posted - not touching them here. Sorry.

I'll drop you a note shortly, that may address a couple of your concerns.

Remove ads