Monitor Duty (Freedomverse OOC)

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
So I have 2 ideas in mind. One should be doable fairly easily, the other I have to look to see.

1) Telepath/Telekinetic
2) Kinetic energy absorption and redirection. More complicated, but hitting her only lets her hit you back harder.
3) Super-nerd. High intelligence, practically no fighting ability, but super amounts of points pumped into regeneration.
4) Invulnerability. So superstrength or anything. Just Hulk levels of taking a punch. Maybe normal human fighting ability.

Sent from my SM-G900P using EN World mobile app

tglassy

Adventurer
As an experiment, I'm going to create an immortal. I don't even know what that means yet. Someone who literally can't die. Probably end up like wolverine, but we'll see.

Sent from my iPad using EN World

tglassy

Adventurer
Villains & Vigilantes in the Freedomverse (recruiting)

Just had a great idea for the immortal. Give him power over Life. He can heal, but only empathetically, so he has to take the injury on himself. He can even raise the dead, which kills him, but he revives himself shortly thereafter. With Area Heal of 20 and Immortal 20, he heals everyone around him, taking their injuries on himself, but revives every time he dies within 6 seconds.

I could take less Immortal and get a 20 on Regenerate as well, and get the Area Healing, so he can heal everyone in an area. We could say he heals himself by absorbing ambient life energy from people around him, so he can only heal when there are others around him. In fact, that could also be a condition for his immortality, he has to have at least one other person close by. That helps with the cost.

That's about 70 points on powers alone if healing at 10 and Regeneration and Immortality at 20 each.

I could have him able to give wounds to others when he is injured. A Damage power with the "Fades" effect, since he heals it anyway, where it recharges when he is injured. The worse his condition, the more he can hurt others, but he can only do it while injured. So it's like, bad guy shoots his friend, he takes the injury and gives it back to the bad guy. If he doesn't, he uses the ambient life energy around him to naturally regenerate.

In order to not regenerate, he'd have to be by himself, too far away from other life. But if he was ever moved near other life, he'd come back again.

Or I could have him be able to enhance his traits using ambient life energy. Or if I wanted to get really technical, I could make it so his Regeneration fades, and he only gets it back when he uses his power to hurt someone, as in, he is giving them his injuries. I like that...

Sent from my iPad using EN World

Last edited:

You know what? I had this character made, including his name, Jonathan Hawke, about three years ago. I just realized that one of the members here is named Jonathan Hawke. Wow. I guess I'm going to have to change his name.

You just realized? I've been in one of your games for three months. :lol:

Shayuri

First Post
Tglassy, men shall know your character as: THE MARTYR

(^_^)

That said, real talk, that idea strikes me as the sort that looks good on paper, but in practice is likely to cause a lot of problems for the GM...and may not be super-fun to play. Think of what you'll be doing round by round.

"I...just stay close enough to heal everyone."

Now imagine that for every fight. All the time.

Meanwhile, the GM basically is forced to use non-damage effects to try to inject a sense of urgency and danger into the game, because every wound we take is immediately zapped away by wound-sponge over there. To be fair, there's ways around that. He could abduct you...which again, is probably not so fun for you because it removes you from the action...or he could spend a lot of time Nullifying your powers. All of these solutions have the side effect of taking the one thing you can do away from you though. Again, no fun for anyone.

Supers games have a huge amount of variety in the character concepts they can support...which has risks as well as rewards. Characters that are really cool and interesting in a book don't always play well in a game format. :(

Last edited:

tglassy

Adventurer
Point taken. He was mainly an experiment with a concept I've had in my head for a while, now. He'd be a great support concept, but he'd need something to make him interesting. Limiting his Immortality so that when he died, it would take a few minutes for him to come back, which limits how much he can heal from others. Then limiting his regeneration so it takes a while to regenerate, so he can't just heal everyone around him all the time.

Then I'd have to give him some abilities or powers that would make him actually useful in a fight, like Enhanced Traits, saying he can take ambient energy around him and use it to enhance his abilities, or make it a "Fades" ability tied to when he hurts someone else. He hurts someone by draining their life force, and that increases his strength temporarily, or whatever.

Either way, he was just a thought experiment.

Shayuri

First Post
Not a bad thought experiment at all! And with some tweaking, could become a really fun character to play.

I'd encourage you to think of things he can -do- that are active which stem from his concept. Like enhancing his abilities is good, but what abilities?

Might be interesting to have an attack power linked to an enhanced ability...though the duration of the enhanced ability effect would need to be modified somehow.

But some good notions, I think!

hero4hire

Explorer
Alright! Here I present Jonathan Hawke. His parents won the lottery when he was a child, and his father turned out to be a smart investor, and they quickly turned $50 million into a $Billions.

I like the concept. The build has some balance issues. The main issue I see is meeting PL Caps. What I like to do in these instances is to put the build in my herolab and tweak it so it is something both I and the player are happy with. However some people don't like that type of "hands on" approach. So let me know if that works for you.

Remove ads