• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Monk/Cleric? How,why, what do you think.

Making a backup character thought about a monk cleric. Anyone have previous firsthand knowledge playing one. Or any ideas of what you would do could help. Thanks

arwink

Clockwork Golem
Monk cleric can be an interesting combination, especially at high levels. Look into the rules for using touch spells with natural weapons, and it can get kind of nasty (Cast harm, hold the charge, flurry of blows).

To say nothing of the fact that the character aspects of the combination are damn interesting.

MarauderX

Explorer
Playing a monk1/cleric9 now; it's fun! I have fire & strength as domains, and I think I will be ripping it up in any battle. Don't rely on your Wis bonus AC - it will be good, but not good enough in most cases once you get past 5th or 6th level.
My PC's stats: 12, 10, 12, 10, 20, 12

Because of the single level in monk, there are no concerns about armor, but then again Dex is yet another stat you shouldn't ignore like I did. Instead, Int should get the dump.

Ask your DM if you can cast a touch spell and use an unarmed strike with the same standard attack action. For feats, I took a few out of Arcana Unearthed which we are using for our campaign, but see if you can get Spontaneous Summoning or Spontaneous Heal/Inflict approved through your DM to boost your versitility. I'd take Improved Turning over Extra Turning, and would choose Improve Grapple as the 1st level monk feat, and a second level of monk would be good for evasion if nothing else.

Andor

First Post
If you're thinking monk/cleric take a look at the sacred fist prestige class form the Complete Divine. I don't think it's quite as cool as the 3.0 Sacred fist who was a real butt-kicker but it's pretty cool.

-Andor

fusangite

First Post
Because monks cannot multi-class, there is a question of just how much monk you'll want because you're unlikely to ever get anymore monk levels. Personally, I think just that first level for obtaining the wisdom bonus to AC and acquiring tumble as a class skill is sufficient.

Personally, I find the Monk-Druid a better synergy. While a cleric needs a good charisma, a Monk-Druid can invest pretty exclusively in Dexterity and Wisdom with little regard needed for other abilities once Weapon Finesse is taken as a feat.

If I were to play a Monk-Cleric, I would probably skimp on charisma in order to invest more in dexterity. I agree with other posters, though, the before you make any decisions, you need some GM rulings on how unarmed attacks and touch spells interact; similarly, a look at the interaction between Weapon Finesse and touch spells is also in order.

the Jester

Legend
Cleric/monk sounds cool to me. I have a feat imc that allows monks to multiclass; if the dm allows it, it would prolly be a good one to take for you- assuming that you're thinking of taking enough levels of both classes for it to be worthwhile.

Thanee

First Post
I have a monk/cleric NPC currently in my PbP campaign. Only one level of monk and then cleric of Ilmater (favored weapon is unarmed strike) with Vow of Poverty and Touch of Golden Ice. Fairly decent character and it all fits well together background-wise.

Bye
Thanee

Remove ads