Monk + Flurry + Two-Handed Weapon + Power Attack

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Firstly, it depends upon his BAB and how much effort he puts into the power attack.

Secondly, there are no 2H weapons he can flurry with to get the 2 for 1 power attack. (He can flurry with a quarterstaff but it explicitly still just does 1x Str bonus).

i.e. you need to provide more information if you want an answer!

werk

First Post

I think up to the BAB, the other stuff is second to the power attack.

On flurry, he would get the power attack bonus and penalty on all attacks.

silentspace

First Post
Plane Sailing said:
Firstly, it depends upon his BAB and how much effort he puts into the power attack.

Secondly, there are no 2H weapons he can flurry with to get the 2 for 1 power attack. (He can flurry with a quarterstaff but it explicitly still just does 1x Str bonus).

i.e. you need to provide more information if you want an answer!

Yes, that's what I mean.

I didn't think a more specific example was needed, but here it is. You have a monk. He is armed with a quarterstaff. He has the power attack feat. For fun, let's say he is level 11, which gives him two extra attacks in a flurry. His BAB is +8. Let's give him a strength of 14. For purposes of this example, his quarterstaff is nonmagical, and nonmasterwork.

He is wielding the quarterstaff in two hands.

With the quarterstaff he has an attack routine of +10/+10/+10/+5 (that's BAB +8, +2 Str).

His damage is 1d6+2. He only gets 1x Str bonus on the damage even though he is wielding the quarterstaff in two hands, because he is flurrying.

Now what happens when he power attacks? For the purpose of this example, let's say he is power attacking for the full amount, 8.

Which one?

1. - His damage is 1d6+2+8.
2. - His damage is 1d6+2+16.

I think its 2. Because the flurry ability doesn't say anything about not getting 2x power attack damage, it just mentions strength bonus. And because the power attack feat doesn't say anything about not getting 2x damage in a flurry.

But the general consensus seems to be 1. Any thoughts?

werk

First Post
silentspace said:
I think its 2. Because the flurry ability doesn't say anything about not getting 2x power attack damage, it just mentions strength bonus. And because the power attack feat doesn't say anything about not getting 2x damage in a flurry.
Any thoughts?

I guess I don't understand where you are getting the x2 multiplier.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
werk said:
I guess I don't understand where you are getting the x2 multiplier.

POWER ATTACK [GENERAL]
Special: If you attack with a two-handed weapon, or with a one-handed weapon wielded in two hands, instead add twice the number subtracted from your attack rolls. You can’t add the bonus from Power Attack to the damage dealt with a light weapon (except with unarmed strikes or natural weapon attacks), even though the penalty on attack rolls still applies. (Normally, you treat a double weapon as a one-handed weapon and a light weapon. If you choose to use a double weapon like a two-handed weapon, attacking with only one end of it in a round, you treat it as a two-handed weapon.)

But the Flurry text states "In the case of the quarterstaff, each end counts as a separate weapon for the purpose of using the flurry of blows ability." It's not as explicit as one might like, which leads to it being able to be read either way. But it would be very easy for a DM to rule that since each end counts as a separate weapon while flurrying, you're always using 'half a staff' for a Flurry attack, and thus not getting the two-handed weapon benefit of Power Attack. You don't have the option of treating the staff as one weapon while flurrying; the ends are always 'separate weapons'.

On the other hand, one could read it that if you choose to only strike with one end, even though the end you're not striking with is still counted as a separate weapon, then you are 'attacking with only one end of it in a round', which (per the explanation in the Power Attack feat) means you're treating your double weapon as a two-handed weapon.

So there are arguments either way :)

-Hyp.

werk

First Post
Hypersmurf said:
On the other hand, one could read it that if you choose to only strike with one end, even though the end you're not striking with is still counted as a separate weapon, then you are 'attacking with only one end of it in a round', which (per the explanation in the Power Attack feat) means you're treating your double weapon as a two-handed weapon.
-Hyp.

SRD
In the case of the quarterstaff, each end counts as a separate weapon for the purpose of using the flurry of blows ability.
When using weapons as part of a flurry of blows, a monk applies her Strength bonus (not Str bonus × 1½ or ×½) to her damage rolls for all successful attacks, whether she wields a weapon in one or both hands.

I'd say a monk cannot weild a QS two-handed and flurry. It's one or the other.
Flurry requires specific weapons, so I would imply that the weapon must be weilded in a specific way as well.

Last edited:

Remove ads