• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

monks . . . we don't need no stinking monks

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
Re

The monk has always boggled me as well.

Where is the monk from? What is it based on? Why did they make a class that was a "mish-mash concept" that seemed to have no real focus or direction?

The monk seems way out of place in this game. I use it on occasion to capture some character concepts, since the monk seems to be their idea of a martial artist, but I definitely wish WotC would come up with some alternative to the monk.

Golandrinel

First Post
*GAK* ... a monk thread .... *starts to boil over* ... ahhh an anti monk thread ... *simmers down* ... totally alien and overpowered ... needs BIG attention....

Numion

First Post
mouseferatu said:

But experience has shown that, in actual play, they are absolutely not unbalanced. For all their abilities, they don't actually turn out any better, in the final analysis, than anyone else.

Amen to that.. I've DMed a 16th level group with a monk with good ability scores in it. The monk absolutely, positively didn't kick arse. He had hard time hitting anything or dealing as much damage as others.

Monks are hard to kill, I'll grant you that. So what? Clerics are even harder to kill, and they kick lots of butt on top of that.

In the end the 16th level monk was just jumping around the battlefield. Enemies paid little attention to him, because he couldn't hurt them that much and they couldn't hurt him.

Not unbalancing, IMO.

hong

WotC's bitch
Golandrinel said:
*GAK* ... a monk thread .... *starts to boil over* ... ahhh an anti monk thread ... *simmers down* ... totally alien and overpowered ... needs BIG attention....

Tch. Only 17 posts, and already trepanning himself.

FreeTheSlaves

Adventurer
Originally posted by Celtavian
Where is the monk from? What is it based on? Why did they make a class that was a "mish-mash concept" that seemed to have no real focus or direction?
My thoughts too.

Currently they appear to be a class that can go "whoppee! look at me jump/fall/drink poison..." Impressive but that combat skill is decided by good basics like BAB, AC and hit dice.

I've long decided I didn't like them, I think it was the speed and jumping that killed them for me. That and they couldn't hold their own against the giants and I got gangbashed as a result.:(

Last edited:

Sagan Darkside

First Post
Re: Re

Celtavian said:
Why did they make a class that was a "mish-mash concept" that seemed to have no real focus or direction?

They have two directions- they are support fighters and are meant to help neutralize spellcasters.

Where is the monk from? What is it based on?

That is up to the dm- the same question needs to be asked of wizards, sorcerers, rangers, paladins, druids, clerics, bards, specific weapons, etc..

SD

Zerovoid

First Post
Why bother banning monks? They are so bad that none of your players will play them anyway. I don't even think they look good on paper. Both fighters and rogues will kick the crap out of them in melee. With their saves and SR, they are almost immune to magic, but that doesn't matter since with their low BAB and without a magic weapon, they are hardly a threat at all.

In some other threads, I've seen people try to argue that monks don't suck, but I'm still not convinced. You would need to really min-max a monk to even get close to the power that an average fighter has.

Remove ads