• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

monks . . . we don't need no stinking monks

Sanackranib

First Post
monks

Don't forget the monks stunning attack, you only need to do 1 point of damage and they have to save or be stunned, once stunned the coup de grace is a no brainer. also the movement and tumbling allow the monk a very good chance to flank amking the rogue much more capable in combat as well. the most unbalance characters are not nessicarily the ones who do the most damage, but the ones who unbalance the game as a whole or whose abilities don't fit with the rest of the core classes.

hong

WotC's bitch
Re: monks

Sanackranib said:
once stunned the coup de grace is a no brainer.

RTFM.

also the movement and tumbling allow the monk a very good chance to flank amking the rogue much more capable in combat as well.

Huh?

the most unbalance characters are not nessicarily the ones who do the most damage, but the ones who unbalance the game as a whole or whose abilities don't fit with the rest of the core classes.

Huh?

Golandrinel

First Post
hong said:

You say this like it's a positive thing.

*sigh* Yes, it's my opinion, I don't generally like being negative about gaming stuff but.... I don't like the class, as someone said above, it's a mishmash of too many cultures and powers.

hong

WotC's bitch
Golandrinel said:

*sigh* Yes, it's my opinion, I don't generally like being negative about gaming stuff but.... I don't like the class, as someone said above, it's a mishmash of too many cultures and powers.

"Too many cultures"? The monk is basically D&D's take on chop-socky Shaolin kung fu and ninja characters, as featured in way too many B-grade movies in the 1970s and 80s. All of their abilities, from leap of the clouds and unarmed attacks to dimension door and poison immunity, can be traced back to what these characters do. Asian folk heroes tend not to shy from having lots of spectacular magical powers, unlike western ones. Now it may not always be _appropriate_ to have an Asian-themed class in a stock fantasy setting, but that doesn't change the fact that the monk is really one of the few classes in D&D that's relatively true to its roots.

As for powers, the class is most definitely not overpowered. It looks great on paper, but in practice, they're basically second or third-best at everything. The only thing that monks really excel at is staying alive, and even that gets boring after awhile.

Last edited:

Sanackranib said:
Don't forget the monks stunning attack, you only need to do 1 point of damage and they have to save or be stunned, once stunned the coup de grace is a no brainer. also the movement and tumbling allow the monk a very good chance to flank amking the rogue much more capable in combat as well. the most unbalance characters are not nessicarily the ones who do the most damage, but the ones who unbalance the game as a whole or whose abilities don't fit with the rest of the core classes.

A stunned foe isn't helpless. He can still defend himself, and is not subject to CdG attacks.

Sanackranib

First Post
monks

hong said:

"Too many cultures"? The monk is basically D&D's take on chop-socky Shaolin kung fu and ninja characters, as featured in way too many B-grade movies in the 1970s and 80s. All of their abilities, from leap of the clouds and unarmed attacks to dimension door and poison immunity, can be traced back to what these characters do

So tell me again why I should allow an eastern Hodgepodge character into a serious western game? I seem to have forgotten :rolleyes:

Victim

First Post

Sanackranib said:

So tell me again why I should allow an eastern Hodgepodge character into a serious western game? I seem to have forgotten :rolleyes:

So tell why you should allow classes that can act as Fighter-Bombers or heavy Artillery in medieval european game? :rolleyes:

kenjib

First Post

Sanackranib said:

Is D&D a serious western game? I seem to have missed that memo. I would actually like that.

Shard O'Glase

First Post
Quinn said:
Typically, I think of martial artist as the unarmed fighter using a fighting style such as tae kwon do, judo, karate, etc. Basically, I associate it with an Asian setting. In a medieval milieu (European medieval), the only things I can really think of would be boxing or wrestling. And martial artist still wouldn't be the first terminology that comes to mind.

I can understand that's what you visulaize considering modern unarmed combat techniques. But I jsut wanted to point out that back in the day before guns etc changed wafare there were quite a few unarmed combat styles in Eurpoe, some influenced by the east, some not. They as a general rule didn't survive because different cultures empahsized diffeent things, and hey we had guns.

Now wheter or not mystical stories about them abounded I can't say, but there existence is written down in history.

Remove ads