• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Monster Healing Surges

Guyntax

First Post
don't forget, with DC15 heal check, a monster can not only grant a saving throw, but he can also grant +2 to the saving throw at the targets next turn instead. This could me usefull too.

BobTheNob

First Post
I would also be very wary with this. Generally, monsters have (level for level) alot more HP than players (and therefore very high HS values). Also, healing is one of those 'edges' players have over monsters which helps to address this imbalance. Been playing for a while now and admittadly have never once placed an encounter where monsters have healed for these exact reasons.

If I ever did place in the ability for creatures to heals, I would very specifically make it a scenario specific situation that is counterable.

The fact that there is so little healing amongst monsters is not an oversight (some get second wind), its a very deliberate maneavour. I would be willing to occasionally step outside this, but not without prior consideration of the impact, and certainly not as the norm.

sfedi

First Post
If I were to use monster's healing I would decrese their HPs appropiately.

Monsters are not balanced to have healing.

Neuroglyph

First Post
No, because all the heal skill can do is let the target use Second Wind. Monsters have no Second Wind, so heal alone cannot access surges. The rules are pretty carefully set up to keep monsters from gaining access to healing. I think they mainly have surges for purposes of resting so that the PCs can't just hit and run constantly.

But you could add a power to a minion that could grant X hp healing at the cost of a healing surge, so long as a successful healing check is made- sort of a psuedo-second wind then, and the monster still gets to use a surge to get back hp.

DracoSuave

First Post
But you could add a power to a minion that could grant X hp healing at the cost of a healing surge, so long as a successful healing check is made- sort of a psuedo-second wind then, and the monster still gets to use a surge to get back hp.

Or you could give the monster second wind. No need for a work-around.

But yeah, healing surge-based healing isn't really a monster thing to do. But, they can have some minor healing either in an encounter power, or as something a leader does to complicate matters.

MarkB

Legend
Or you could give the monster second wind. No need for a work-around.

But yeah, healing surge-based healing isn't really a monster thing to do. But, they can have some minor healing either in an encounter power, or as something a leader does to complicate matters.

Just for clarification, in-combat healing isn't a monster thing. But if a monster escapes from an encounter and takes a short rest, they can spend whatever healing surges they have at the end of that rest, just as PCs can.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads