• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Monster Manuals no more

Warbringer

Explorer
I had a seriously disturbing thought....

As part of the 4e marketing strategy, WoTC does away with monster manuals, instead printing only cards as part of a collectable monster series?

Eltharon

Explorer
I'm pretty sure the fanbase would start killing small animals, babies, and Wizards employees if that happened. I, personally, would just never switch to the new edition.

crazy_monkey1956

First Post
D&D: The Collectable Role-Playing Game.

Included in every starter set are a set of dice and the basic cards you need to create a character. DM packs include a random assortment of monster cards and treasure cards.

Player booster packs include new race cards, class cards, equipment cards, feat cards, skill cards, and rare prestige class cards.

DM boosters include monster cards, magic item cards, and the ever popular dungeon cards that use the patented CSG model to construct your own 3D dungeons.

;)

Last edited:

Mercule

Adventurer
Oh, man. I can't believe I'm about to say this.

If I was given the option of purchasing all the critters in the Monster Manual (or any of the sequels) on good quality, glossy cardstock with good art, I'd jump at the chance. I'm thinking something like an oversized deck of M:tG cards (5x7?), with all the important info on them.

There are so many times that, as DM, I want to have multiple monsters open in front of me and/or don't want the players to see that I'm looking in the Monster Manual (for, say, stealthy critters) that I can't even begin to count.

I'm not sure this is a totally feasible idea (dragons?), but it'd be cool if it worked. I'd still want a hardbound MM, though.

crazy_monkey1956

First Post
Didn't a 3rd party company do a PDF similar to this idea with summonables? And I agree, monster cards to supplement the MM (not replace) would be darn handy.

Then again, my primary gripe with D&D minis is that they mix and match critters from every which way when, in my opinion, they should have done the first set as the Monster Manual critters, then the second expansion would've been MM2, and so forth. More utility for D&D, less skirmish game thingy. But, that's just me.

Doug McCrae

Legend
Mercule said:
There are so many times that, as DM, I want to have multiple monsters open in front of me and/or don't want the players to see that I'm looking in the Monster Manual (for, say, stealthy critters) that I can't even begin to count.
That's a really good point. They shouldn't be randomised like MtG booster packs though.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads