• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Monster Manuals no more

crazy_monkey1956

First Post
Warbringer said:
Brilliant!

You know that last part is sheer bloody genius

Thanks. :D Wizards put out a Map Folio 3D with just that sort of "build-ability" though I have yet to actually buy it to see if it's any good. Their new-ish Dungeon Tiles are certainly a step in the right direction though.

Asmor

First Post
Doug McCrae said:
And how about a really magic card which applies a template or class levels automatically?

Actually, that's not as far out as you might think...

Imagine if all monsters were printed on cards with empty spaces next to each of their stats. Then you get a clear "template" card to overlay, that tells you the template's bonuses/penalties to each stat. Bam. Instant template.

kaomera

Explorer
Warbringer said:
I had a seriously disturbing thought....

As part of the 4e marketing strategy, WoTC does away with monster manuals, instead printing only cards as part of a collectable monster series?
Actually, 4e will be entirely collectible. The initial set will include pages from the 4e PHB, as well as "teasers" from the DMG and MM (hopefully these will be limited to rare slots). WotC promises us that all of the most most heavily-used sections of the PHB will be commons, which should make it feasible to play with only four or five boxes of boosters.

RedFox

First Post
Doug McCrae said:
That's a really good point. They shouldn't be randomised like MtG booster packs though.

Sure they should! How else are they going to get you to buy the same product over and over and over and over again?

I mean, Star Wars Minis are required for the new Saga edition, and they're only to be found in booster packs and the like, officially. Unofficially there's GM Sarli and other places.

I mean, it's brilliant! You buy boxes and boxes of useless cruft looking for the product you want! It's how gaming should be.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
RedFox said:
I mean, it's brilliant! You buy boxes and boxes of useless cruft looking for the product you want! It's how gaming should be.

This is how gambling addictions begin.... :p

Pale

First Post
RedFox said:
Sure they should! How else are they going to get you to buy the same product over and over and over and over again?

I mean, Star Wars Minis are required for the new Saga edition, and they're only to be found in booster packs and the like, officially. Unofficially there's GM Sarli and other places.

Seriously? Wow, what a way to make sure that I never play a Star Wars based campaign ever again.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads