• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Monster Manuals no more

Voadam

Legend
rycanada said:
If there was a fantasy RPG that was simple enough that feats/spells, monsters, and npcs could fit on a card with a nice big picture and some flavor text, I would be ALL over that. I'd be happy to collect it even if it were in a randomized format.

Deck of series of products for 2e D&D

http://paizo.com/store/downloads/wizardsOfTheCoast/aDAndD2/accessories

I bought the psionics one and a friend of mine used the mage spell set one adding on note cards of homebrew spells. He had them arranged alphabetically by level for his spellbook and took out the ones his mage currently memorized to have them at hand during combats.

Thornir Alekeg

Albatross!
Lets take it one step further! The new 4e rules can state that monsters come from the collectible card packs, and that each card represents only one monster. You need 12 orcs but only have 8 cards, sorry, you cannot run that encounter. And, when a monster is killed, the rules state that you must destroy the card to represent the monster's death. Need more monsters? Buy more cards!

They should also give up on actual dice and make people buy random collectible "dice cards" which they have to shuffle and draw instead. The d20 decks contain mostly the numbers 6-15. 1 and 20 are extremely rare.

Superj3nius

First Post
I think that makes it less of a D&D game though. you see, D&D is great cuz all it really takes is players and imagination and creativity. but when you get rid of all those convinient books and info it becomes D&D all you need are good ideas money and hope that when you open up a pack that you dont draw doubles of a monster you already have.

DM: sorry player we really cant play today i dont have all the monster cards needed to complete my dungeon
Player: and i just spent my last $40 on the other packs so i guess were really not playing today : (

see it doesnt seem right, it sounds like your trying to remake the D&D minis game

this is a stupid Idea i would riot in an instant if that happened

FATDRAGONGAMES

First Post
If this happens I suspect we'll see Castles & Crusades get a massive influx of new players. Btw, a free Starter Guide for C&C will be given out at Free RPG Day next weekend-I can't recommend trying C&C enough. Even if you're perfectly happy with 3.5, it's worth checking out.

talien

Community Supporter
Hussar said:
Pardon me for being stupid, but, isn't this exactly how the 2e Monster manuals were first produced? Not collectable, true, but, loose leaf, one page sheets that you had to put into a binder in whatever order you felt necessary.

Not exactly a new idea.
And to see what happens if they go back to that model, do a search for my name in the Dragon archive. It's one of my two contributions to the letters section. :)

SavageRobby

First Post
Mercule said:
If I was given the option of purchasing all the critters in the Monster Manual (or any of the sequels) on good quality, glossy cardstock with good art, I'd jump at the chance. I'm thinking something like an oversized deck of M:tG cards (5x7?), with all the important info on them.

Something like these, only nicer? (Scroll down)
http://www.acaeum.com/ddindexes/miscpages/odd.html

If TSR could do it, and Paizo can do it with items, no reason it can't be done with monsters.

Mercule said:
Oh, man. I can't believe I'm about to say this.

If I was given the option of purchasing all the critters in the Monster Manual (or any of the sequels) on good quality, glossy cardstock with good art, I'd jump at the chance. I'm thinking something like an oversized deck of M:tG cards (5x7?), with all the important info on them.

There are so many times that, as DM, I want to have multiple monsters open in front of me and/or don't want the players to see that I'm looking in the Monster Manual (for, say, stealthy critters) that I can't even begin to count.

I'm not sure this is a totally feasible idea (dragons?), but it'd be cool if it worked. I'd still want a hardbound MM, though.

I used to do the same thing with lined index cards (4 x 6) for both MM monsters and versions I made myself (eg new, advanced, classed, templated, templated and classed, etc).

Ry

Explorer
Voadam said:
Deck of series of products for 2e D&D

http://paizo.com/store/downloads/wizardsOfTheCoast/aDAndD2/accessories

I bought the psionics one and a friend of mine used the mage spell set one adding on note cards of homebrew spells. He had them arranged alphabetically by level for his spellbook and took out the ones his mage currently memorized to have them at hand during combats.

I collected these religiously, but really, the encounter ones were AWFUL. If they were done today WotC would be ashamed, and rightly so. But yeah, if we had a good product for this by today's standards (I'm talking production quality of a magic card, picture and all), and D&D supported it without me needing a microscope, then I'd be 100% all for it. Heck, that's one of the very few things that could draw me back into regular WotC purchasing again.

So I guess you could say that if WotC wanted to make D&D into a collectable roleplaying game that's so simple even little kids can play, I'm the target market.

chobin foot

First Post
rycanada said:
So I guess you could say that if WotC wanted to make D&D into a collectable roleplaying game that's so simple even little kids can play, I'm the target market.

That would be an interesting model.

Random iconics-as-characters... from newer ones like Lidda & Tordek & Jozan, to the old ones like Morgan Ironwolf.

Random item/clix equipment, random collectable spells for spellbooks...

Random monster miniatures... with random treasure...

Of course, maybe you risk annoying the legions of existing miniatures customers or something.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads